Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Defeat Griefers and Hostile NPCs with this One Weird Trick...

Discussion in 'General' started by Spaceman Spiff, Sep 13, 2019.

1. Spaceman Spiff Senior Engineer

Trying to start out building with minimal supplies, but griefers and/or hostile NPCs keep getting you down? You can make progress with this one weird trick...

[​IMG]

Yup, I punched a tunnel deep into the side of a hill/mountain and detonated a warhead to produce a nice spherical cavern (I always do it by laying down a single line of armor block scaffolds until I get to the desired depth, then stick a warhead on the end; after it's detonated, I rebuild the scaffold across the spherical chamber knowing it will span at the spherical centerline; counting the two embedded end blocks, it'll be 19 blocks from end-to-end, so the center is 10 blocks in from an embedded end block). Stick another armor block scaffold three blocks from the center, and another at the two sides and bottom (this gives a standoff for the wind turbines so they operate correctly). Do the same thee blocks from the center in the opposite direction.

[​IMG]

The eight wind turbines all read "good" from an efficiency standpoint and produce a combined maximum power of 2.4MW. This serves as a good stopgap that's easily defended and will run a considerable amount of equipment until you get other forms of continuous power up-and-running.

(In case you're wondering, the "wind" to drive the turbines comes from bat farts.)

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  2. mojomann71 Senior Engineer

Funny thing, right before loading the forums page I had seen an advertisement "Stop Toe Fungus with this one weird trick"

3. Spaceman Spiff Senior Engineer

I LOVE the "one weird trick" clickbaits because they're so over the top! But this one weird trick actually works, and I promise I won't sell your personal info.

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. Stardriver907 Senior Engineer

Once again proving that NOTHING is impossible in Space Engineers!

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. captainbladej52 Apprentice Engineer

I saw a similar add except it was another condition involving a certain bit of male anatomy 0_o

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. Stardriver907 Senior Engineer

Don't get them mixed up.

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. Calaban Junior Engineer

That trick doesnt work, esp in keen multiplayer... (no voxel warhead damage) Also, in a multiplayer server where warheads do carve out giant sphere voids... guess what griefers look for and see when abusing the Level Of Detail glitches... yup, big dimple seen from orbit= player there. Then with a zoomed camera staring at the dimple as they approach... the grid will be revealed before the voxels cover it. Thats the price of severely deformed voxels made by warheads- and mole-man caves in general.

So that trick to remain unseen will backfire. I hunt trolls enough that I know all their tactics and exploits, (and shovel them right back into their mouths to see how they like the taste)

Far better to place the waving flag turbine in wide open, undeformed voxels... and to do all your mining somewhere else, outside of render range (3-5km), and to bitterly scold newbie faction members that crash and make a crater on your base turf.

Grids can only be spotted if the viewer gets within render range... the dimples can be seen for 100's of km...

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Cyber Cheese Apprentice Engineer

If you are patient, you could drill a bunch of decoy tunnels and make sure your own tunnel is deep enough that you are outside render range from the surface if the planet. However, I am not sure what effect that would have on wind turbines to be deep below sea level.

9. Spaceman Spiff Senior Engineer

OK, OK...so it's not useful against griefers, but it very effectively works with hostile NPCs.

10. Mollymawk Trainee Engineer

It feels very exploity.
    I suppose you could blame the subterranean wind on IBS.

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. Stardriver907 Senior Engineer

It was a nice try, though. Using an exploit to defeat an exploit, like fighting fire with fire.

12. Spaceman Spiff Senior Engineer

I tried this while playing a SP survival game with the Assertive Air Traffic and Assertive Ground Installations mods active. If I didn't get underground within minutes, my respawn pod was toast...as was everything else I tried to build. This level of "assertiveness" required engineering innovation by harnessing the energy of bat farts.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  13. mojomann71 Senior Engineer

Bummer, I thought Keen had fixed the dimple rendering a few months back. Thought Xoc was showing it off in a stream. I wouldn't know though since I haven't built underground in a long time. So I trust you guys saying it is still an issue.

14. Spaceman Spiff Senior Engineer

Yeah, it is. I could see my underground wind turbines from about 10 km up.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. May Rears Apprentice Engineer

One wierd trick to avoid griefers? don't play on a public server. Simples.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

Decoy holes work well. Also, mining far away from your base is helpful as people tend to explore where there's a lot of voxel activity.

Where possible, I will do a moon starting point and try to keep my grids in distant orbit on the far side of the moon (furthest from Earthlike). Not having a present on a planet/moon cuts down on griefing. You can float a moon base with just a few thrusters and some ice... then ferry the heavy stuff/ore up to it.

17. Forcedminer Senior Engineer

all this technlogy all these engineers blueprints and we still go back to living in caves. :)
    I've seen someone built wind turbines in a cave before and one upside down above it. looked quite nice.
    enchanting as the entire cave was bathed in deep purple light.