Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Deformable Asteroids

Discussion in 'General' started by Urablahblah, Sep 14, 2013.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Urablahblah Apprentice Engineer

Quoting from a few sources here...
    Source: http://www.spaceengineersgame.com/about.html
    Source: http://www.keenswh.com/vrage.html

These bits of information seem to indicate that although asteroids are immoveable, they are fully destructible. I sure hope this is the case, as navigating asteroid fields with large ships without the ability to zap pesky asteroid "anchors" would be nigh-impossible. The next question is whether or not they are deformable/destructible without a drill or explosion. Will we be able to ram a large ship into a small asteroid with enough energy that the asteroid simply breaks apart (think minerwars debris)? Or will we somehow be able to set turrets to auto-fire at asteroids within X distance from this ship (unlikely)?

2. kuro11 Apprentice Engineer

The turret's sound great.
    If you have a crew just tell them to zap asteroids away.

3. 3trip Apprentice Engineer

It's hard to tell, but I think the ship in the alpha video does smash a bit of a crater into the asteroid.

4. Lycinus Trainee Engineer

Yes, it also seems to me that the first roids we can see when the little ship gets out from the hole are moving...

5. complex_shadow Trainee Engineer

i mustve seen that alpha trailer like 20 -30 times already, since it came out. and i still don't know what your talking about.

6. Urablahblah Apprentice Engineer

I agree, I don't think the asteroids are moving. Too bad really.

7. Lycinus Trainee Engineer

Sorry then. Too bad indeed...

8. 3trip Apprentice Engineer

near the end of this one @ around 2:11

9. complex_shadow Trainee Engineer

right i see what your on about. but it doesn't look like it made even a dent. i mean dont get me wrong, i want to believe, i reallllly do. but i dont see it.

10. TechyBen Junior Engineer

There is definitely some deformation of the asteroid there. Looks voxel like editing. It's probably the same damage/collision engine, but applied to the voxel roid, as suppose to a voxel cube construction.

11. Urablahblah Apprentice Engineer

I don't think the video is clear enough one way or the other. With the ship deforming around the asteroid, it's hard to get a good read on what is actually happening.

12. kuro11 Apprentice Engineer

I'd air on the side of caution and say asteroids probably don't change during collisions seeing how early everything is in development.

13. marek_rosa Developer Staff

Asteroids get deformed when high-velocity object hits them. Voxels at the collision point are crushed and vanish.

It may not be visible in the video above, but this is how it works.

14. willy Trainee Engineer

awesome, thanks for confirming.

15. Lycinus Trainee Engineer

Great, we'll soon be digging into big rocks with big ships ! =D

16. TechyBen Junior Engineer

Thanks for the clarification. I forget not everyone "sees" the same as I do... (Too much practice and training in graphic design where I had to spot every pixel or colour that was incorrect. ;) )

17. Urablahblah Apprentice Engineer

Awesome! My next question is whether small asteroids will more easily deform than large ones. You know, because there is much less rock behind a collision point to adsorb the impact.

18. 3trip Apprentice Engineer

If it's a rocky asteroid, it might shatter like a rock, but not before leaving a dent. while a small metal asteroid would perform more closely to a bullet if you're traveling fast enough.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.