Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

derive station

Discussion in 'General' started by Rick47, May 6, 2017.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Rick47 Trainee Engineer

How to avoid a station to derive in space

Thanks

2. Malware Master Engineer

I'm sorry, but you're not making any sense...

3. Merandix Junior Engineer

As he's French, I'm going with the french word for 'derive' which means 'to drift'

So the question is likely: How to avoid a station drifting away in space?
    which would make a lot of sense.

@Rick47 if that really was your question, the answer should be to add a thruster in every direction and a gyroscope to keep it in place. Alternatively, you could build it off an asteroid (which are stationary). Or you could enable the option that keeps stations stationary... but I always forget the name of that option.

4. Aldakoopa Apprentice Engineer

Isn't it "enable voxel support"? If so that means you actually need to disable that option.

5. shimonu Apprentice Engineer

Check here (similiar question) -> link

6. Rick47 Trainee Engineer

Thank you guys, and sorry for my English

7. Malware Master Engineer

No need to apologize. We're from all around the world here.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. halipatsui Senior Engineer

If you want to avoid station being derived you should not reduce its exponent by one and use the original exponent as a multiplier.

If you dont do that you should be fine.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Nibs_1983 Trainee Engineer

So if you add thrusters to maintain the location do we then have to calculate how many needed for the stations size or will just one in each orientation suffice?

10. Malware Master Engineer

Common sense applies. This game is physics based. So; the bigger the station, the more thrusters is needed - although even a single one will actually stop the station (eventually) it's not necessarily enough to keep it in place.

A space station is just a space ship designed to stay in one place...

11. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

You will need to add thrusters, gyros, and some sort of control like a remote, flight seat, etc. Stations are for all purposes ships.

Ion thrusters are easy enough. You can also use hydrogen thrusters if you don't mind maintaining them with an adequate supply of hydrogen. Hydrogen thrusters will consume hydrogen when just idling. But they are relatively cheap. Unless some outside force acts upon your station (assumed to be rarely), then they will only idle for 99% of the time.

If you're handy with the programmable block, you can detect your velocity and turn the hydrogen thrusters on and off if your velocity is above 0m/s to save hydrogen.

12. Nibs_1983 Trainee Engineer

Is a proper orbit achievable yet or is it still a little dubious in vanilla?

13. Malware Master Engineer

Proper orbit will never be achievable in vanilla, the speed is too low.

14. Inflex Developer Staff

You can actually already orbit moon, the SE Earth-like's one, pretty easily. It was doable somewhere around 80-90m/s iirc

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Malware Master Engineer

@Inflex Perhaps... I readily admit I assumed planetary orbit

16. halipatsui Senior Engineer

I have done moon orbiting but its pretty hard to get just right.
    But i think it is doable with solar power and small correction thrusters. If i have understood right satellites hve to correct their orbit irl too.

17. Inflex Developer Staff

Yep, it's nearly impossible to achieve stable orbit by maneuvering by hand. Even slightest imperfection in speed or course will send you to the space or ground within few revolutions.
    Using PB to get me on the right track was really helpful there and it was able to establish nearly perfect orbit, yet still it was necessary in my case to let it run and execute some corrections from time to time.

• Agree Agree x 1
Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.