Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Did I miss something??

Discussion in 'General' started by MaxTheBuilder, Jun 10, 2018.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. MaxTheBuilder Trainee Engineer

Did I miss something in one of the updates? We have deer’s coming out our ears bur hardly see any Barbarians now? Did they get adjusted? I miss having to defend myself when I went out to mine, lumber or gather resources. The game is a bit boring and stale without the threat of them. Please bring back the guys in green, we miss them.

Thank you kindly

2. MorshuArtsInc Apprentice Engineer

I haven't had a single barbarian since like January, I think they sometimes just disappear when you play too long in the same safe. Travel around a bit more, with a bit of (bad) luck you'll find one two kingdoms away from your home (or better: He will find you). Or try a new safe and check if they appear there.
    What I do know is that they won't spawn in claimed territory anymore.

3. CptTwinkie ME Asst. Producer Staff

Not all locations are the same. Some places have only deer and some places have only barbarians. This is usually related to the biome but if you are in a transitional area it's hard to tell what you will get. If you think you simple found a dead spot then you can make a bug report with the map coordinates of the location.

• Informative Informative x 2
  4. MorshuArtsInc Apprentice Engineer

Oh? What kind of biome would usually be rather barbarian infested? I'm living in a forest (Umbril, A1) and haven't encountered any barbarians at all.

5. CptTwinkie ME Asst. Producer Staff

Try the tundra

• Like Like x 1
  6. Ciero9 Trainee Engineer

I was thinking about this the other night, and I'm a bit curious to know how many people actually build their main castle in the starting forest biome.

For example, on YouTube, RadioMan03 in his latest season never traveled beyond the forest, and has gotten kinda bored with ME because there's no threat.

I personally enjoy the snow and tundra regions and get my fill of both deer and barbarians. I've also done some building in the desert and at some point will do a build in the grassy steppes. For me the forest is boring visually because up until 0.6 it was the only biome.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2018
  7. CptTwinkie ME Asst. Producer Staff

I agree. We originally planned to have a random spawn location but the naturally varying difficulties of the biomes made that a non-starter for new players who are almost always unable to get the resources they need.

I blame the popularity of minecraft and other games that have attempted to emulate its widespread ore distribution. We often hear from new players who say they have dug a large hole but not found this or that ore, as if simply digging a large enough hole should have located every ore in the game. This is a bias that we have to overcome for many players. Surely we will continue to improve our tutorials and other quests to lead players to success in their first world.

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. Yurets Trainee Engineer

Modded minecraft can be absolutly opposite - even clay is only in some certain biomes and different types of ore is so biome orientated, that one sometimes should travel though half of a server map to find it.

And yeah, I like distribution of resources based on location - it adds some realism, balance and interest in exploring the world.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. CptTwinkie ME Asst. Producer Staff

Perhaps that is so but the main difference here is that digging a large hole at random will not likely yield any ore in Medieval Engineers. Some of our players seem to be unaware of this. I don't think the confusion is anyone's fault. It's just a difference in the way our game works that some players do not always notice for one reason or another. Keeping the complexity of the game manageable is a constant exercise in intuitive design and instruction through tutorials, quests, and interface hints. Still this is made more difficult by wildly varying player expectations.

10. MorshuArtsInc Apprentice Engineer

I'm currently playing a mod pack called SevTech Ages, which introduces technological ages from the stone age to the future. In the first age, there are no ores at all. Later on (with the mod Geolysis), you need to find ore samples above ground. Somewhere in the same chunk, you can find huge veins deep underground with several stacks of that ore.

And I must say, I like this system better than vanilla Minecraft's random ore generation.

What I would wish for in ME, however, would be (randomly) finding small amounts of ore, let's say when you're actually trying to dig a basement or a mold.
    Or skulls. You're digging on that hill? Whoopsie doodles, you're actually desecrating a neolithic burial mound and are cursed for eternity:woot:. (These things actually happened in the past, apart from the curse part)

11. CptTwinkie ME Asst. Producer Staff

...there may be some massive, rich ore deposits hidden in the world...

12. MorshuArtsInc Apprentice Engineer

Deposits that can't be seen from above ground? Deep down in some mountain?

13. CptTwinkie ME Asst. Producer Staff

¯\(ツ)/¯

• Like Like x 1
Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.