Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Did You Know...?

Discussion in 'General' started by Spaceman Spiff, Jul 6, 2019.

1. Spaceman Spiff Senior Engineer

...that yield modules added to refineries are able to break the laws of physics? I bet you didn't.

I ran a test with 10K of iron ore and a refinery with 0, 1, 2, 3, and 4 yield modules. Here are the results:

0 yield modules: 10.00K iron ore => 7.00K iron ingots
    1 yield modules: 10.00K iron ore => 8.32K iron ingots
    2 yield modules: 10.00K iron ore => 9.90K iron ingots
    3 yield modules: 10.00K iron ore => 11.77K iron ingots
    4 yield modules: 10.00K iron ore => 14.00K iron ingots

Having 3 or 4 yield modules yields more mass of ingots than raw ore. Yes, and now you, too, can create something from nothing! OK, OK, so maybe you did know this; I didn't.

Another Pro Tip from Spiff's Practical Engineered Solutions.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  2. mleise Trainee Engineer

That means we should keep our ores unrefined on assembly ships to reduce weight, funny.

3. Calaban Junior Engineer

So, you're saying they are still "yield modules"... Only now we are just realizing it's means the other kind of yield.

" Yield to the protests of the garbage dimensionites where all the tailings go" modules.

4. Spaceman Spiff Senior Engineer

They "yield", but never surrender.

5. mojomann71 Senior Engineer

Yeah, when they first came out I am pretty sure Keen gave some specs on them and how that they would produce more than what was put in. Same goes for the power consumption it cuts way down on power use and you can practically run a refinery with no power consumption. :)

Just little things to overlook to help improve/speed up gameplay.

I said it before somewhere on the forums. If the game was 100% "realistic" majority of the builds would take days even weeks to complete. Certain builds out there would even take years to complete. :)

6. Stardriver907 Senior Engineer

What's really funny is a lot of people are saying, "What's a yield module?"

7. Mollymawk Trainee Engineer

I have noticed this too, I always aim for 4x yield modules, as early as possible.
    I never use the power module. I think I used them on a "solar only" game before wind turbines.
    4xSpeed modules on assemblers are super.
    For me, boosting the assemblers is almost more important than booting the refinerys.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. RkyMtnDude Apprentice Engineer

I am on the same page though at times I may add some speed modules to a dedicated refinery for certain higher yield ores initially to get to building components earlier to support my early infrastructure, then back them down to yield modules. I really do not like having tons of ore essentially vaporize. Mining can be a chill thing at times BUT yeah, it can get boring quick. Nothing like finding your first deposit of a critical ore and then poof. Sometimes feels like two ingots after mining tons of ore! Power modules? LOL... I don't think I have EVER used those since one of my prime goals initially is large stored power banks and fuel reserves.

9. ShadedMJ Apprentice Engineer

About refineries : SILICON ALSO. The wiki (outdated, blah blah) says the refineries can't go past 100% ore-to-ingot ratio after modules. Recent changes removed this limit. So yeah you get more ingots out than ore put in for iron and silicon. We've run over this a lot over on the Steam forum.

This is part of why I made my post about the custom games using old blocks and referenced that refineries were odd now. I wanted to make a game to verify that refineries do what they are advertised to do, to catch problems like this.

10. Spaceman Spiff Senior Engineer

I used a power module exactly once, but it was for a survival map that had intentionally limited the available components for power generation and you had to use a power module to get the refinery to work. It was a well executed survival scenario.