Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Disable "Convert to Ship" button while any part of grid is in asteroid

Discussion in 'Suggestions and Feedback' started by Smoo, Oct 29, 2015.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Smoo Apprentice Engineer

There's a couple-months thread already, but I think this is a good solution. I see that "convert to ship" button on my asteroid base, and it's scary, because I know what would probably happen if I press it.
    • People will want to convert stations to ships.
    • People will never want to convert THEIR station into a ship while it's imbedded in an asteroid.
    • People can stop being inside asteroids.
    So there's a check that sees if any block of your ship is inside voxels. This should disable "convert to ship" regardless of ownership. And when I use station to merge in large-block ships, I can simply cut them free. If the world option is set to allow free-floating stations, I can then convert. If the world is set to disallow free-floating stations, it converts automatically.

But there really should not be a "destroy entire asteroid base" button... :p

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
  2. druppi Apprentice Engineer

you know that only the owner of a station can convert it!?... its not shared with your fraction, so just don't press it when your base is in a asteroid.

also its sometimes usefully to destroy parts of the base because you are abandoning / leaving it

3. Merandix Junior Engineer

So, that means with grinding a single block; you can still destroy an asteroid base; and if it's a big one, likely crash an entire server. I actually agree with this. And if you WANT to destroy your own base, there's warheads for that.

Converting an asteroid base to a ship only causes two things in every possible use case:
    - massive destruction
    - massive lag

It doesn't serve a function. If voxel support is detected, simply grey out the option. I like it.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Braxbro Junior Engineer

No it is shared with faction.

5. Braxbro Junior Engineer

Well, just make a tick-box on station creation saying, "This station can be converted to ship. Warning! If you tick this box, this setting will never change, unless you attach it to another station starter block with this box unticked."

6. druppi Apprentice Engineer

no You need to own as I remember minimum 60% off all blocks on a Grid

so what's the problem if people want to have massive destruction and lag, on their games, let them. To build enough warheads to blow up a 100 000 Blocks Base would be real pain.
    Maybe its a option for the game settings to disable it

7. Merandix Junior Engineer

Huh, 60% ownership? That's new to me. Still pretty doable for a well willed griefer.

The problem is that in nearly every case where someone wants to push that button, the original owner likely doesn't agree, even if he or she pushes that button him- or herself. If you want to get rid of a base that ridiculously big, spend the effort to have it go out with a bang, or start a new world. In practice, most people likely DON'T want to cause such destruction and lag in such a cheaty way.

But anyways, who am I to argue, I hardly play multiplayer anyway... It just seems like a silly feature to me.

8. AutoMcD Senior Engineer

The only purpose of that button is to build a large ship that doesn't float around during construction... And also freeing a ship from the grid if merge/unmerge was done with a base.
    If the button was removed entirely, and anything with blocks built into an asteroid stayed fixed to it, that would be entirely cool with me.

9. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

Well a confirmation pop-up when converting a station to a ship would be nice. Accidents do happen and it's a one-way process. If your station isn't set up to be a ship (thrusters/gyros/ sufficient power for thrusters and gyros, you're in a bad position. You cannot reattach your new ship to the asteroid without a merge block and that block will need to be one full block away from the ship and the ship moved that entire space... that's a long way to go... plus the station will probably take a heap of damage from the asteroid beforehand.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.