Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Ditching stone on planets?

Discussion in 'General' started by StanH, Nov 15, 2015.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. StanH Trainee Engineer

What is your approach to getting rid of the large amounts of stone you get while mining on planets?

I was thinking about having a connector set to eject it to drop it into old mining pits, but that approach generates a ton of small stones and I am worried about performance and memory doing that a lot...

In creative, I can just take a massive amount and drop it into a pit in one piece, but that doesn't work in survival. I've also been thinking about putting all stone in a large cargo container and grinding it down above a mining pit to make it release everything there.

Anyone has any other ideas that are simpler / easier yet still work in survival?

2. Apocalypse07 Trainee Engineer

You can eject all of the stone into your old mining pit. You can set the "Maximum Objects" in the game-options to, let's say 64. This means that if you have more then 64 stones lying around, the oldest of them get deleted until there is only 64 of them. (so no big hit for the performance)

3. Mr Ixolate Apprentice Engineer

I set mine to 16 and then proceeded to mine a hole in a cliff, at which point none of the stones were removed, I now have more than 1000 rocks that I can't get rid of.

Tried with a collector but there were too many of them and they were too small.

4. oldark1 Trainee Engineer

I just right click drill the stone so it destroys instead of generating rocks. I enjoy mining manually though, not sure if right click is possible with an automated miner.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  5. StanH Trainee Engineer

I haven't seen any stones being removed either. I don't know how the maximum objects setting works (if it isn't bugged in the first place).

I'm using an automated mining vehicle, so right-click drilling isn't an option.

6. PureEvil Trainee Engineer

Right click action in vehicles is still possible, you just need to find the drills under tools category and drag them to hotbar. This is different than dragging a group.

7. The Judge Trainee Engineer

I set up a precessing centre for it in one of my older pre planet worlds because. Refine it into gravel then eject the gravel from connectors that have a large drill right (or was it a grinder i ...forget) set-up right against it. Poof gravel gets destroyed. Stone becomes nothing. However that no longer works. (EDIT the following seemed to work but further testing and it didnt. perhaps I was at max obj count so they vanished) the same with a hydrogen thruster incinerates the gravel. looks very industrial. Sure your burn through ice, but its hardly rare. Set-up a load of connectors on throw out at once and you use far far less hydrogen.

Even better fill a pit then a quick second burn with a large hydrogen thruster and its gone. hardly and ice used.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 15, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. mhalpern Senior Engineer

I havent gotten a lot yet- so I just drop huge chunks from my inventory, plan to load them into atmopheric missiles or use gravel for basic load testing, at least until we get a better use for gravel, we get an easy way to get rid of it, or someone gives us a thrust calculator. Even then it will serve as great inventory management training for when I move from the default settings to x1 inventory, (I haven't been able to buy SE until recently so I decided to wait for planets to be unleashed and verify if the specs for my Pavilion dv6 met somewhere in the middle of the system requirements- which I was pleased they did)

9. TheeScrub Apprentice Engineer

There is a new mod out that simply incinerates stone into nothingness.

10. Nickvr68 Junior Engineer

That is really clever. Can you set the thruster overide to a low setting to incinerate it or does it have to be at full blast?

11. The Judge Trainee Engineer

well I swear it worked like in the pic, but i tried again with it below and it did nothing and then again sideways...nothing?!. Better revisit the version in the pic. Either way you must be able to destroy gravel somehow, Just need to find out what works in these builds.

Grinders, drills unless gravel is indestructible now?

Last edited: Nov 15, 2015
  12. MisterSwift Apprentice Engineer

What kind of Engineers are you?!

[​IMG]

:D

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Einharjar Junior Engineer

I'm still used to the mod, but Concrete Blocks would be an amazing use for all that gravel. Building buildings would be EZ as pie and there's that one mod that builds road sections too so you can lay out paved road ways utilizing gravel.
    Also, I believe the Concrete block mod is highly resistant to thruster damage, so they make great launch pads and blast deflectors.

is there anything like that in Vanilla yet? Still no use for gravel?

14. Hyomoto Apprentice Engineer

You can do what I do and use the conveyor method to just spit it out as you collect it, and then turn loose debris to like 64. Unless you have a habit of leaving tools and materials lying around on the ground, there's almost no reason to have more than a couple dozen loose objects floating (lying) around.

15. tonakien_steam Trainee Engineer

I remove stones with SE Toolbox.
    Sones is a bug for now.

16. Volcano Apprentice Engineer

There's still no use for gravel in vanilla other than reactor components crafting.

17. FlakMagnet Senior Engineer

The 'max objects' setting has no effect on rocks....as I also found out.

You can dump them back into the hole you made, but it takes time and doesn't do anything other than creating a mass of objects you can't get rid of. Keen really need to have a time limit on how long these rocks stay in game...then just despawn them. They serve no purpose.

I might try the right click method....but only after I have fed the stone into a cargo pod and then grind the pod away so I get a nice big piece of rock...then remove it. No point on small rocks coming out of connectors. In space, the rocks float away and are removed. On a planet they don;t. Maybe we don;t get far enough away.

Either way, it's something that needs addressing

18. Dax23333 Junior Engineer

I think this a very recent thing, perhaps even added with planets. I'm sure it is a bug and will hopefully be fixed soon.

For now I throw rocks out of my hole and watch them roll down the hill.

• Like Like x 1
  19. FlakMagnet Senior Engineer

I started off that way :)

Then I moved on from drilling with a hand drill. With a drilling rig eating up a big chunk of planet, you get a LOT of rock, and what to do with it quickly becomes a problem. I am currently planning to build a tipper truck with a large container and a sloped back so I can load the rock into the tipper, drive to a dump site and then grind away the container.....dumping one larger rock. Then I can re-weld the container and do it over again.

Would much prefer that the game removed the rocks after a while/number as there is absolutley no use for them. If I need rock for anything...well...I can easily get it! I'm standing on a big ball of the stuff :)

I also need to add a landing gear strut to my big drill truck, as the brakes don;t hold it on a slope. Not good when you are drilling 40m down! I will also split up the 4 pistons so they don't work together....then I can drill one segment at a time until I hit ore....then stop. Should reduce stone buildup a bit.

20. Infekted Apprentice Engineer

I like to drop it on things from a great height =D

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Mass drivers are quite dangerous on planets...

21. StanH Trainee Engineer

Having a drill/grinder/thruster destroy gravel or stone would make for a nice automated solution. I will experiment a bit with it this evening.

I can only imagine the amount of stone I'll have when I start drilling for that uranium 100m below the surface...

22. tonakien_steam Trainee Engineer

Drill with LMB on Drills. It's a fantastic-easy solution for drilling. It drills MUCH more faster and left no stones.
    But be care dont waste ore layer!

23. Khalad Trainee Engineer

To get rid of stone (or excess Ice if mining under the Ice), I put it all in a container and grind it. It does not release anything that way, your stone just disappear like that... Unless it' a bug, that's the easiest way I could find to do it.

24. Morrigi Apprentice Engineer

Sounds like a bug.

25. FlakMagnet Senior Engineer

I am going to have a bash at making a modified Arc Furnace ..... that will only accept stone and produces a packet of gravel from 10K of ore with very low energy use.
    That would sort the issue until such time as Keen patch the problem..... which I suspect they will.

If grinding a container full of stone destroys the stone...then that's handy to know....but is a bug or 'feature' nobody mentioned. Would explin why I lost all my ice when I ground up my oxygen generator to move it.

Will try it this evening if I can finish building the mobile drilling rig.

26. Xakthos Apprentice Engineer

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=511495755

There's a few mods that do what you're talking about. Instead of another mouse trap you may want to look into one of them then if you think you can do something better build it.

27. StanH Trainee Engineer

I've been using a mod similar to the one you just posted, and considering to use it again, although it produces ores which are supposed to be hard to get on planets. Even though yields are very low, I feel it's slightly overpowered on planets.

Still, I was wondering if there's a vanilla way to destroy ore/gravel. The grinding a container thing is a known bug and I guess it will only last until they fix it.

28. Hiramas Apprentice Engineer

If physics weren't as wonkey as they are, I'd just build a nice Stone garden....

29. ac19189 Apprentice Engineer

I just make a small box that has a drill connected to a pistion which goes back forth then i use the ejector to drop the rocks grind what I can before it falls into a collector and keeps doing that till I have nothing left. :p Though that thruster idea is far better.

30. russo_bolado Junior Engineer

Very clever, dude.

I tested your idea in space (Creative Mode) with 4 Ion Thrusters, a Connector, a Collector and a Conveyor Sorter. The Stone/Gravel (tested both) was kept circling into the system while the thrusters burned them when they were airborne (i.e. between Connector throwing and Collector). Thrusters were overridden to max.

It took 5-6 minutes to burn 10K Stone/Gravel.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.