Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Do all blocks have the same strength?

Discussion in 'Gameplay Help' started by JimTheSoundman, Jun 16, 2016.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. JimTheSoundman Trainee Engineer

Forgive me if this has been answered somewhere else.

I'm curious as to whether all blocks have the same shear strength, tensile strength, etc.

For instance, if I build a bridge and attach a heavy weight to the center of it, is that bridge more likely to break if it is constructed of conveyor tubes, vs. heavy armor blocks?

If the answer is yes, then how much better/stronger, are the heavy armor blocks than the conveyors?

Do static/dynamic loads make a difference? For instance, is there a difference between putting a million pounds of weight, such as ore, in the center of a bridge vs having a thruster that is producing a million pounds of thrust? I'm assuming the planetary gravity would be pulling the weight down of course.

None of this matters in space, but on a planet, I'm trying to build ore drillers and need to know if I can just build things out of small cargo containers or if I should build it out of armor blocks. If the cargo containers are functionally as strong as the armor blocks, then I'll just use them.

If they are NOT as strong, where is a chart showing the relative strengths of different blocks?

Thanks in advance for any help or reference material you can provide.

2. Malware Master Engineer

There is no structural integrity in SE. There are no shear- or tensile forces being calculated. Your ship won't break unless something is actively damaging it.

3. JimTheSoundman Trainee Engineer

Okay, I'll buy that. So I guess that means that all blocks have infinite (compression) load capacity also, regardless of whether they are complete or just a grid made from one sheet of metal.

For a company that seems to pride itself on the realism of physics and gravity and the effort they take to get that perfect, doesn't it seem odd they would completely ignore these sorts of things?

4. The Mechanic Trainee Engineer

Yup, compression doesn't exist in the game either. Medieval Engineers does have some structural integrity forces in the game, but it's just too difficult to do this in SE.

5. ViroMan Senior Engineer

Well compression does exist in some manners...
    Make a piston and have it face a block on the same grid. Either the piston will break off or the block will. Explosion each time though. The same thing can happen with tires. Place a rail and have two tires on either side of the rail Pinch the rail as hard as it can. Move the tires up the rail and you will see it squeeze the rail hard enough to cause damage and distortion of the rail.

6. Arcturus Senior Engineer

1. When ships collide with more than a certain amount of momentum (which itself varies based on overall ship mass to allow large ships to land on planets), the blocks deform a distance based on the momentum and the blocks' deformation ratios.
    2. Large enough collisions can cause blocks to be destroyed and/or explosions to occur (which may look like a puff of dust at the impact site).
    3. The deformation for all blocks is tracked with a bone/skeleton system. Armor blocks also use this bone system to visibly adjust their shape: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=391202025 , but the system is still there in the background for non-armor blocks.
    4. This deformation system is seperate from the integrity hitpoint-based component system used for weapon/grinding damage, but weapons can also cause deformation and welders heal deformation.

A massively heavy loose piece of ore can sit motionless on top of a block, but if it is nudged and gets the slightest velocity it might have enough momentum to dent or destroy the block. If it dents the block under it, it might fall under gravity and get enough speed for a second or series of dents based on the block's deformation distance.

7. Ame Trainee Engineer

Yep, the only blocks that experience significant stress loading are rotors and pistons, but that's only because they're considered parts of different grids. All blocks on the same grid are considered perfectly rigid.

8. druppi Apprentice Engineer

by the way it looks like its planed to add integrity in the future, there is a tab in dev tool bar (shift+F12, to open in loaded world)

But don't click on on it or your game will crash :D

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.