Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Do any dedicated servers have a workaround for optimal respawn distance exploit?

Discussion in 'General' started by Cyber Cheese, Mar 16, 2019.

1. Cyber Cheese Apprentice Engineer

The PvP server I frequent is plagued by the optimal spawn distance exploit--see my bug report here. TL,DR, if automatic respawn is off, people can choose "space suit" and find others very easily due to the hard-coded "optimal spawn distance" setting, which spawns you near another player in space.

We are trying to get a mod to move space suit spawns to center immediately, but that mod will be challenging to make and resource intensive if it even works. Has anyone found a way to disable the new spawn mechanic other than turning on automatic respawn? Or another work around?

Also, please vote for bug reports so that Keen sees game-breaking problems like this.

2. Roxette Senior Engineer

The setting is not hard coded, it's in the save - in typical Keen fashion duplicated in both the server SpaceEngineers-Dedicated.cfg file and in the save-specific Sandbox.sbc file. Both need to be changed...

<OptimalSpawnDistance>25000</OptimalSpawnDistance>

in this case 25000 would be 25km - set it to whatever you feel suits your server/player demographic.

3. Cyber Cheese Apprentice Engineer

Roxette, thank you for your reply. When we adjust the setting, we have only been able to choose 900 m to 25,000 m or the game will just move the value into that range. It is still trivially easy to triangulate someone's position if you consistently spawn about 25 km from them. Have you been able to increase the value above 25 km on a dedicated server? If so, how?

4. Roxette Senior Engineer

Shutdown the server, edit the setting in both files, restart the server - preferably not through the SpaceEngineersDedicated.exe user interface program that should not normally be used except when initially setting up a server - through the operating system "Services" interface or command line net.exe tool directly or via batch file.

If you try to start it through the UI program it will complain about the setting being out of range, although it will still start. If the service is started directly it starts fine, I have not found any problem with this method although usual disclaimers apply. Hopefully Keen will fix it properly in due course...

Last edited: Mar 16, 2019
  5. Cyber Cheese Apprentice Engineer

Roxette, thank you. Unfortunately, exceeding the 25000 range caused the spawn system to place space spawns arbitrarily far from origin, so new players could be 5,000 km from 0. The server I frequent has instead begun to use this mod, developed by one of its players:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1684792507