Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Do grinders no longer pickup the cargo inside?

Discussion in 'General' started by SirConnery, Jan 10, 2020.

1. SirConnery Apprentice Engineer

I don't know what patch it was when this stopped working but in my games the ship grinders don't take the cargo inside the containers, the cargo just drops on the floor. Both small and large grid. Is this normal now or is there some mod bugging out?

2. Aracus Senior Engineer

Only because you did not specify it, the obligatory question is: (and I assume you did check) You have free cargo capacity to match that of the content of the container you're grinding right?

3. SirConnery Apprentice Engineer

Yeah, there's more than enough room. It used to work before, but I think the Economy Update or some patch after broke it for me. Could be a mod as well.

4. Roxette Senior Engineer

The issue is that if you are using an array of grinders or grinding containers with a lot of inventory the conveyor system fails to clear the inventory fast enough and a proportion of it just falls to the ground. Just more bullshit software problems, introduced in recent years to functional parts of the game in an attempt to fix a different problem and now never likely to be fixed.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. SirConnery Apprentice Engineer

That's probably it. Since a part of the inventory sometimes goes through.

6. mojomann71 Senior Engineer

I haven't run into this issue yet, and I have a lot of grinders set up, everything seems to flow fine. Maybe you have a lot more set up than I do? :)

7. SirConnery Apprentice Engineer

I dunno, happens to me even with just one. I'll have to test later without mods. It's most likely some mod doing something weird.

8. Aracus Senior Engineer

Sounds really stupid, should be able to do a quick check, is there a path from a grinder to a sufficient container, will it fit? If yes, just move index of grinded container to grinder grids container, no need to actually stop along the way just to cause these issues.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2020
  9. Spaceman Spiff Senior Engineer

I'm not sure it's been mentioned yet, but I'm thinking there's a problem somewhere. Or not.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  10. Aracus Senior Engineer

11. Calaban Junior Engineer

in my 2020 world ive been doing "ground base supply drops" -literally a small cargo container with all the mats to throw up 4 refineries and a reactor. I parachute them down to an area, then send my "minion" atmo worker over- it grinds the box away, and takes the pre packaged parts ready to begin work...

Only yeah.. thar be dumpage.

At the time, I just surmised I was asking too much from my small grid grinder (go on- eat 4 refineries and a reactor all at once...what could go wrong?) and uh.. wait, I guess I began that sentence a bit wrong... because of course thats whats happening.

The move to "Realistic grid inventory" has put a relatively recent limitation on what ships can do, and the problems they encounter now. I count this as one.

12. Malware Master Engineer

Which is, to my knowledge, how it does work. All paths are precalculated and items are stuffed into the nearest available storage (to my chagrin, it causes me trouble as I don't want connectors, for example, to be storate areas). The problem must be elsewhere.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  13. Aracus Senior Engineer

Some missed check/move order for what's inside the container then? Unless there is some kind of... Leak between checks and the move which leaves the system confused about the parts from inside the container so they're just dumped?

14. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

My practical knowledge is that once the grinder is full it won't pick up any leftover cargo. If you're using a large grid grinder on a large grid small cargo container you should be fine. But if you're trying to grab cargo from a large grid large cargo container, it's probably going to spill out unless it's barely full. I'll manually empty cargo containers to avoid problems like this, especially if there's something important in it. You just never know. Moving cargo is pretty intensive for the game and it may not be able to complete the move during the appropriate game tick.

15. SirConnery Apprentice Engineer

Look everyone, the containers are not full and there's nothing wrong the grid setup. It's just a mod causing this most likely. Thread can be closed.

I was just interested if the default behavior had been changed for the game and apparently it hasn't.

16. mojomann71 Senior Engineer

@SirConnery pretty sure everyone had good intentions and just throwing out different reasonings. I don't think any ill will was directed your way.

• Like Like x 1