Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Do the default LCD scripts use a lot of cpu power?

Discussion in 'General' started by SirConnery, Sep 24, 2019.

1. SirConnery Apprentice Engineer

I actually have 2 questions regarding the LCD scripts.

1. Do the Keen default LCD scripts (for example in the cockpit) use a lot of cpu resources? They don't really provide much use and are mostly visual improvements for me, so I would like to know if they consume a lot of processing power.

2. Is there a good optimized battery power script in the workshop? I hear a lot of even the simplest LCD scripts use a lot of resources to run.

What I'm always looking for is a simple KW meter (in numbers) of the combined power left in my batteries so I don't have to go the the inventory screen to check it out.

2. Malware Master Engineer

No they don't, and not only that but the very point of them is that they do _not_ run on the server in multiplayer, but the individual computers.

This is one of the problems the PB has faced. Some bad scripts come along and suddenly everything similar is viewed as bad. It has a worse reputation than it deserves - because it is possible to write very bad scripts. That doesn't mean all are.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Stardriver907 Senior Engineer

Yeah. Just because Disney made "The Black Hole" doesn't mean all science fiction is bad.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. SirConnery Apprentice Engineer

Well I'm going to be more particular here then. Does anyone know if the "Automatic LCD's 2" script is performance friendly?

5. Malware Master Engineer

@SirConnery That script is usually considered fine. Don't know if it's impossible to misuse it though, it does do a lot of things but MMaster has generally been thinking about performance.

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. SirConnery Apprentice Engineer

Sounds good. Thanks for letting me know.

7. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

Automatic LCDs 2 generally accepted on most servers that require you to run only approved scripts. MMaster packs a lot of punch into and is very aware of optimization. The scripts that tend to bog a server down tend to be inventory management related. Scripts that constantly scan entire grids are very CPU unfriendly.