Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Do we have some proper weapon for Battlecruisers? I don't think so...

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Joker, Oct 2, 2015.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Joker Trainee Engineer

Two large ships firing each other with vanilla weapons can trade punches for half an hour, before they break through armor to important components. What we need is high caliber weapon effective against large ships. Something like 5x5x10 large blocks size, huge mass and energy requirements preventing it from mounting on small vessels, but giving you in return long range and dps allowing to cut a hole in largest ships. Anyone able to do that? I am sure that more people than just me would appreciate it.

P.S. Yes, I am aware of existence "Large Ship Sniper" mod, but that didn't quite hit the mark as the main weapon of mighty Battlecruiser...

• Like Like x 1
  2. Seff Apprentice Engineer

• Like Like x 2
  3. Sarekh Senior Engineer

"Bro, do you even battlecruise?!"
    "I am Mexpexting your awe after a look at my ship. It's got all the battlecruisiness you need."
    "OKI"

• Like Like x 2
  4. Joker Trainee Engineer

Apparently I wasn't specific enough - what you link, however nice, it's just support turrets, basically this:

[​IMG]

what I am looking for is battlecruiser "main weapon" with "dps allowing to cut a hole in largest ships", so using the same Starcraft Battlecruiser as example, THIS:

[​IMG]

I hope that now I'm clear enough ;)

5. Seff Apprentice Engineer

The MWI triple battleship gun turret and OKI quad 230 are hardly support weapons, given that they do exactly as you asked - blast through massive amounts of heavy armor. Honestly, I think the MWI guns are too OP to use. But anyway, you've now made it clear you're asking for a spinal mounted cannon. Normally, people engineer these things themselves (using artificial masses on their heavy armor/warhead projectiles and gravity generators to fire them). But there are a couple mods I can think of off the top of my head.

Massive MAC
    Mass Driver - not finished

6. Joker Trainee Engineer

This mod looks extremely promising! :)

Warhead does very little damage, but if create a spine several hundred meters long, made of gravity generators and drop stones there from conveyors, that may work? But I suspect that accuracy of such "weapons" will be minimal...

Anyway, mods you link this time are exactly what I'm looking for, thx :)

7. Seff Apprentice Engineer

It kinda varies patch to patch, there are a lot of different solutions people have come up with. One patch, they'll make some unannounced change to the collision physics, so your projectiles bounce off the target. The next patch, a new change, and your projectile cuts the target completely in half. Shooting steel plates used to be very effective, and so was shooting stone, but again, it keeps changing. Such is the nature of alpha. I don't blame you for wanting an all in one solution like the MAC, it's a lot easier and more reliable. But there is a certain satisfaction that comes from successfully engineering your own.

Edit: Maybe peek in on Dwarf-Lord Pangolin's thread to see some of his player made weapons, or check out some of Ravric's crazy vanilla ships and their devastating player-made missiles.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Joker Trainee Engineer

It's not just a matter of convenience or reliability, but in particular the in game battle conditions in which it will operate. Ravric's ships (especially this one
    ), are very impressive and much more complex and well thought than anything I've done, but I don't see them working in real combat conditions. Let assume that we have a very large ship equipped in automated factories based on projectors continuously producing those torpedoes until they run out of resources, big ship may have the resources to continuous bombardment for hours, but so what if the other ship will also have ammunition to support turrets for so long, for shooting them down (after all, they are just small ships)... This way we got back to square one, where two large ships firing each other can trade punches for a very long time. However with single large gun situation is entirely different, such bullet or energy beam can't be blocked or shot down by turrets so it will hit the target. So effectiveness of "in-game" weapons compared to handmade one is drastically different ;)
    That's why I prefer mods.

9. Aracus Senior Engineer

10. Ludovsky Apprentice Engineer

Personally I'd be curious to see what other "megaweapons" might be out there specifically in the beam part.

I've always been a fan of Homeworld's capital ship killing ion cannon, which was a weapon that was very nasty against said capital ship but the power requirements and size of the weapon itself meant it took an entire frigate to house but one of the things(which frigates in the game had no other weapons, though that "disadvantage" might be perhaps too easily countered in something like SE). Basically one of these "don't shoot too long if you don't want to drain your ship dry" weapons.

11. Seff Apprentice Engineer

We'll probably have to wait for them to do another pass on weapons before we start seeing really nice beams/lasers. I think all the ones out there currently just use really long/stretched/modified tracers on a modified gatling gun to produce a 'beam.' It sorta works, but there is a lot of room for improvement when it comes to weapon effects. Don't think I've seen any large enough to be useful for a spinal mount.

12. druppi Apprentice Engineer

13. guardianstorm 2 Trainee Engineer

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.