Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Docking Collar

Discussion in 'Suggestions and Feedback' started by Malware, Sep 24, 2017.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Malware Master Engineer

The merge block is not a good tool to use for docking. The very fact that it merges and splits grids (which is exactly what they're supposed to do) makes it a pain to use in conjunction with scripting because it's difficult to separate blocks per ship. However, we do have pressurization, one of the more interesting features of the game.

I would very much like to see a docking collar system that works more like the connector. Creating an airtight seal, but does not merge the grids.

https://feedback.keenswh.com/idea/docking-collar59c7f536a0faf

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 3
  2. ViroMan Senior Engineer

I though someone made a connector you could walk through like you can with the giant spinning rotor.

edit:
    my bad it was a mod so... you don't want it.

edit2:
    My bad again? Turns out it was a giant merge block. :(
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=294619787
    I guess if @darth_biomech can not get connectors to work for docking, then it is not possible via standard mod making.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2017
  3. JDaremo Fireheart Trainee Engineer

Would love to see a docking collar for Large Blocks that are 90 degrees. sometimes you just don't have the space for a Conveyor Elbow and a connector.

4. Malware Master Engineer

That is so old even I have used it, and it's been quite a while since I used any kind of mod... but yep, that's a merge block. And no as far as I know there simply is no mechanism that can allow this, even for mods.

5. Helaton Apprentice Engineer

To do a walkable pressurized connector, I used a combination of merge block and airtight hanger doors in the form of a male/female connector. It would usually take about 9 blocks for the male adapter. A more complicated version is a rotor based swivel that rotates to another merge block so that it isn't protruding too far. I'll see if I have pictures of it as I lost that blueprint during an SE reinstall.

6. Forcedminer Senior Engineer

sounds like "this" could be done easier without ships changing names.

7. FoolishOwl Junior Engineer

It's a good idea. Sorry I'm out of votes.

8. Malware Master Engineer

But I explicitly do not want a merge block based system. Because a merge block is not meant for docking, and does not work for docking. It ruins ship names and messes with scripts.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Levits Senior Engineer

Is it possible for a block to create a space (roughly the area within it) that automatically contains/provides oxygen. Much like the airtight hangar doors hit box, when they connect the area within could expand a field of oxygen just between the two collars (I see no reason why they could not use the connector or even landing gear-type connection as long as it appears "sealed"). But yeah, this small space between the two blocks could be made to fill this area (again, only when two docking collars connect) with breathable oxygen.

Only requirement is that they have oxygen supplied to it via one side (such as touching it or touching the doors on either side)... or I suppose it could be made to use the conveyor system... but that's some ugly-looking concept in my mind. They could give it a small solar oxygen generator or something...

Anyways, Say a 1h x 1w and 2 block long block. Big enough to walk through and also It could be used as both a docking collar and a airlock. With this interior space being able to vent and store its own oxygen supply <provided it is provided oxygen initially.

Sounds like a lot of different pieces and lines of code to work into it, but it would solve many problems and cut back on the issues we have with creating compact airlocks.
    --- Automerge ---
    Or: Have a "airlock block" and a "docking collar" block that tie together specifically. Where the docking collar block only expands a airtight seal (a hit-box/area pocket of air) between two docking collars if/when attached to a airlock block.

10. ViroMan Senior Engineer

It seems if we want this... it requires the dev team to work on it... (fat chance, they have more important things to work on) or someone to make a dll that adds the ability to create something(giant connector) to do this.

11. Malware Master Engineer

This is exactly what the feedback page is for ;) I got my half block through there, and given enough votes this should be a more plausible job than a lot of the other suggestions on there...

12. halipatsui Senior Engineer

Altough half block had been making community horny for years. Dattttt slabbbbb....

Why i am afraid this is unlikely to happen is because most people can get the desired effect from merge blocks and creating the docking collar would mainly help people who script themselves.

Not a bad idea though. Seems like a bit flawed mechanic to me.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  13. Malware Master Engineer

It's not just for scripters, because using the merge blocks also screws with ship names and merges block groups that were supposed to be per-ship. Neither of these problems can easily be fixed for merge blocks because of what they are and how they work.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Lord Grey Apprentice Engineer

Absolutely for a walk-thru-connector-block. I imagine something similar to the already existing large block connector, but instead of the conveyor part there is a hole to move thru. Doors will be needed behind it to seal it off. They are connectable with the conveyor connectors, but of course only the connect would work, no conveyor or walk thru.

The merge block has another function, it really welds a grid together, means that it fix connects blocks that have a surface on each other, making a separation by turning-off the merge block afterwards impossible. At least that was the case when I tried to make a walk-thru-airtight-connecting-coupling...

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Malware Master Engineer

"Everybody" agrees, nobody has votes to spare... Move your votes from water and/or compound blocks, those are never gonna happen anyway :p

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Smokki Trainee Engineer

Never thought about how the merge blocks really worked even though I've build docking ports with cool airlocks all the time with them.

Well you can have my 3 votes. No point in adding few more to those with hundreds already.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Helaton Apprentice Engineer

I'm not arguing against you, I too would like a single solution, because currently, this is one of my few (yet bulky) solutions to try to create this.

18. Lord Grey Apprentice Engineer

OK, I made an account and gave it 3 votes. Thinking a little bit further, a passable Rotor would be cool to for all the ship designs with rotating segments for centrifugal gravity substitute. But this part needs to combine conveyor and Passage.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Vrmithrax Senior Engineer

Definitely got my votes, I pulled them from doomed suggestions and put them towards something useful!

Still would be a long way to get to being able to make truly modular ships, but it'd be a start.

• Like Like x 1
  20. ViroMan Senior Engineer

I love how ladders and compound blocks have such a high vote counts but, one of them will "never happen" and other is something that was in at one time and arbitrarily(?) removed.

I moved my NPC votes over for you. :)

• Like Like x 1
  21. sioxernic Senior Engineer

@ViroMan Was removed because it didn't interact properly with moving grids.

22. ViroMan Senior Engineer

Lol? I was removed because I don't interact properly with moving grids?

23. sioxernic Senior Engineer

Yes, as in you would be "stationary" while being visible on the ladder, and when you left the ladder you teleported back to where you originally placed yourself on it, or so I have read.

24. ViroMan Senior Engineer

aww you ruined the joke :( I was joking with the way you stated it. I read it as "ViroMan was removed"

25. sioxernic Senior Engineer

@ViroMan Oh... I am writing as a sleepy zombie at the moment.

26. Lord Grey Apprentice Engineer

Hm, yea, SE tend to do that...
    But back on topic, did a few tests yesterday and without the merge block I can't get an airtight connection. I didn't tried out everything yet because I just don't have the time. But I doubt I get it working with airtight hangar doors. So far the connectors always leave a gap. Only the merge block makes it flush. With only one merge block you can get an airtight passage that can be disconnected if you use the sloped blocks around. The small side make an airtight grid, but don't stick together.

Oh yea, another thing I noticed: You can't set the pulling force of the merge block as you can with the connector. And the merge blocks have a strong pull.

27. Merandix Junior Engineer

3 Votes given. This should've been in the game LONG ago.

• Like Like x 1
  28. Malware Master Engineer

It is simply not possible today. There's no code supporting it.

29. sioxernic Senior Engineer

@Malware There is a work around opportunity. You can make blocks airtight from different angles, and making something walkable that is airtight in the center could do this kind of thing. But I wouldn't hold my breath.

30. ViroMan Senior Engineer

you know... if your suggestion does not go through I would LOVE it if hanger doors secondary function acted like a landing gear while creating a air tight seal (if it is a flat surface) to what ever surface the door edge contacts. Imagine the new ways to capture and breach a ship while still keeping its oxygen intact! Or... just making your own docking collar.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.