Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Does anyone think that VR support for SE is a good idea?

Discussion in 'General' started by PolskiHusarz, Jan 2, 2018.

1. PolskiHusarz Trainee Engineer

I mean I would love to play space engineers in VR but that would be a lot of work to pull off. Programming all of the things probably would be hard, and there is a very limited amount of buttons on the controllers. What do all of you think?

• Like Like x 1
  2. Lord Grey Apprentice Engineer

What's your understanding of VR? In my opinion it's not such a big problem to generate two slightly different viewpoints, and it would allow you to see if an asteroid is near and small or big and far away. There may be additional code needed to use a VR headset as control device, but that can't be that hard. I would expect the producer to deliver an easy to implement driver for his device. Maybe you need an interface to calibrate the signal to your movement, so it really turns 90° if you turn your head 90°

3. ShadedMJ Apprentice Engineer

I admit I don't know much about VR, but.....

Everything I read says the game has to be built from the ground up to handle VR and isn't something that can just be slapped on.

Edit: If it were easy, it'd already be done. That's why there aren't that many VR games out there.

• Late Late x 1
  4. Malware Master Engineer

Good idea? Yeah. Oh, hell yeah. I'd buy even simple seated-only VR support as an extension in a heartbeat. And not really all that difficult to do either, if that's all you go for and not try to do the entire room-scale support. My best VR experience to date has been Subnautica, which has just this (albeit unfinished).

But there's a rather huge caveat: Performance. For an acceptable VR experience you need to be able to keep up at least 90 fps, and stuff like simspeed is not gonna help against people with simulation sickness...

As much as I hate having to say it, SE is not VR friendly. I wish it was. Sooo much.

5. damoran Junior Engineer

I believe Vorpx allows for rudimentary support of VR in Space Engineers. Reviews for it online are great I've been meaning to try it with my oculus but just haven't gotten to it yet. The video below was done a while back, not sure if it's still working as well.

6. Dax23333 Junior Engineer

Likely lower than ideal fps combined with changing gravity vectors, spinning astronaughts flying around and the rest of the general weirdness of space engineers would sure make for a stomach quenching experience. But wow, if it worked it would be amazing. Even if you have to play with a bucket on your lap.

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. mojomann71 Senior Engineer

It would be okay for those that had it, but how easy would it be to pull off? Probably not so much, and may not be worth the headache for Keen to try it.

8. PolskiHusarz Trainee Engineer

The problem might be input device. Keayboard and mouse would be the easiest option in my opinion. All they would have to do is add - as You said - an additional point of view and ability to move your character’s head in game. I don’t know how difficult it is to make a game playable in VR but it suddenly doesn’t sound that difficult.

9. 101m4n Apprentice Engineer

VR motion sickness + zero gravity? what could go wrong!
    Also the resolution and frame-rate requirements probably put it out of reach of SE, at least with todays hardware.

10. Malware Master Engineer

Making the game render to a VR headset and respond to tracking? Easy. They've already done that in an experiment some time back, even. Making the game actually playable? Not so easy :p

They could relatively easily make support that I can use, because I don't suffer from simulation sickness and I enjoy the seated experience and don't need tracked control support. But lots of people would be excluded. Simulation sickness is - unfortunately - quite widespread :(

(I'm talking from the viewpoint of someone actually trying to make a VR title hobby wise)

11. Lord Grey Apprentice Engineer

Well, my experience with VR is quite old, I had a forte VFX1, if some of you can still remember that one. It was such a cool device, but sadly the resolution was too low to play X-Wing with it, so it went out-of-business. But I liked to play Descent and Heretic with that piece. But I had a few friend that suffer from sickness. But I wasn't aware that it is so widespread. Specially as they didn't even needed the VFX1 to get sick, projecting the screen to the whole room wall did the trick too.
    I would imagine that you need two identically graphic cards for VR, one for each eye, that shouldn't increase the processor load noticeable. Of course this doesn't address the other short-comings of SE...

12. Malware Master Engineer

What? No. Not even close. I don't think the rendering will be the problem. That generally isn't a problem in SE any more, to my knowledge.

The 10 series Nvidia cards can do VR very nicely. I have a single 1080 and that even worked reasonably well for earlier Subnautica, which would be the closest we could get to SE complexity but not quite.

13. FlakMagnet Senior Engineer

Playing SE doesn't even get my 1060 warm, let alone stress it.

The CPU is where the stress is.

SE demanded more RAM, and I gave it 16Gb. It was also the chief reason I swapped to liquid cooling as I was seeing some quite high temperatures. This is down to the physics calculations I presume. Which is why simspeed is more relevant as a measure for game smoothness than the normal FPS rendering measure.

Currently, VR is probably achievable on a good PC in single player, but online....as the game stands now ... it would be horrid.

Controls wont be an issue. Any game where they plan a port to console.....well...they already need to solve that issue!

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. May Rears Apprentice Engineer

If we are talking just control systems then I would prefer proper joystick support with the ability to map functions to joystick controls like just about every game where you fly something has since game joysticks have been around before we get stuff like VR controls.

Or at least the ability to seperate controls for unlocking of landing gear and connectors :)

15. 333546323 Apprentice Engineer

marek and xocliw have done streams of them using VR it seems perfectly fine exept you cant access all the buttons.

16. Malware Master Engineer

"Perfectly fine" is taking it a bit far, it was a limited world and a very simple implementation, but yeah, essentially.

17. 333546323 Apprentice Engineer

yah true but i was still possible ;P

18. mikedabuzz Trainee Engineer

Is there still hope for vr support?

19. mojomann71 Senior Engineer

It would be cool to have, for myself though I would not use VR.
    Sometimes just playing a game normally can trigger vertigo for me. :(
    Doesn't always happen but yeah I would hate to be using VR and it gets triggered.
    I do think it would be great for those who do not experience these symptoms. :)

20. Malware Master Engineer

@mikedabuzz None what so ever. Or at the very least, immeasurably small.

21. Spaceman Spiff Junior Engineer

No vertigo for me, thankfully. But right before the end of November I suddenly got a headache, followed a day later by double-vision. The double-vision lasted three weeks, then my brain rewired itself or something. The headache is always with me...when I wake up and when I go to sleep. Sometimes it’s just nasty, and sometimes it’s not too bad. I’ve been to just about every “-ologist” except a proctologist, I’ve had CT scans and MRIs, and I’m scheduled in a month to see an neurological ophthalmologist because all othe other “-ologists” have no idea what’s going on. (It turns out the double-vision is still there if I tilt my head to the right or to the left.)

But from what I now know about vertigo (I was mis-diagnosed by three of the doctors I saw as having vertigo), that’s some nasty stuff. I can deal with the headache, but having my world spin to the point of puking has no appeal for me.

22. mojomann71 Senior Engineer

Yup vertigo is not fun at all.