Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

does putting solar panels in space generate more power than atmospheric ones?

Discussion in 'Survival' started by dingdongdingle, Apr 30, 2018.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. dingdongdingle Trainee Engineer

I was thinking of building a solar array until I questioned the functionality of it. is it more effective in space than in the atmosphere? it would only make sense if it is realistic enough.

2. odizzido Junior Engineer

no....kinda. On a planet you generate the same amount of energy when facing the sun, but you will likely have fewer hours of daylight.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. dingdongdingle Trainee Engineer

thanks for the feedback!

4. ViroMan Senior Engineer

In space depending on how you set things up you can have solar panels that rotate to always face the sun.

If I am not playing a map with planets I turn off sun rotation anyways. Logically if you are that far out you are not going to see any "rotation" but, lets forget about the lower amount of sun you would receive as well.

5. Spaceman Spiff Senior Engineer

Isn’t our gameplay somewhere in some kind of solar system? So planet rotation may still be applicable.

6. ViroMan Senior Engineer

Rotation is still applicable but, out where we could be... it could be sooo long it might as well not be applicable.
    Out by Pluto to see a form of sun rotation you are either spinning yourself or you go around the sun. A full rotation around the sun for Pluto is 248 earth years. Hell to get sun rotation anywhere not on a planets/moon/asteroid surface takes a LONG time.

7. Spaceman Spiff Senior Engineer

You’re absolutely correct. We just don’t know how far we’re from the “sun” wherever we are, so a 2-hour day is just a placeholder.

8. ViroMan Senior Engineer

That is kinda my point though.. if you are not on a planet or producing your own rotation you should not be seeing the sun rotate around you. I DO realize the sun is moving due to system constraints on not having voxels move(no planet rotation) but to do it while in space is silly. We are not living in the dark ages where everyone thought that sun revolved around earth. Nope it revolves around us.

9. Spaceman Spiff Senior Engineer

I agree with your explanation (when you’re not on a planet). You’re absolutely correct.

10. ViroMan Senior Engineer

I humbly accept your surrender... j/k
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 2
  11. Spaceman Spiff Senior Engineer

HAHAHAHHAHA!!! That’s great!!!

12. Calaban Junior Engineer

The sun will move in this universe precisely how lord master and creator of that universe Clang demands!

And Clang will be more than happy to show anyone what he thinks of any opinion, foolish expectation, or sense of entitlement- of anything even slightly contrary. .. or even just a little odd.. At a moments notice.
    ;)

13. ViroMan Senior Engineer

Clang used to visit me often. Then I got tied of his mooching off my creations and so I limited my use of pistons to almost nothing while hardly ever using rotors.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.