Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Drone Attack Script

Discussion in 'General' started by Spaceman Spiff, Nov 4, 2019.

1. Spaceman Spiff Senior Engineer

Hello there all you groovy guys and groovy gals. I'm looking for a drone script that will tell my little beastie to go attack an enemy grid. Or a swarm of them. Attacking. Oh, the humanity...!!!

I tried searching, but without success. Any recommendations?

2. ShadedMJ Apprentice Engineer

That might not be simply script-able programming block wise. A programmable block with a camera could use raycast to find an enemy and go after it, but that is going to be a fairly complex task to code for the programmable block. That's the only vanilla method I know to find enemies.

Mods can probably do this, but if I remember correctly you aren't a fan of mods.

3. Spaceman Spiff Senior Engineer

Ya got that right! I ain't no mod fanboi!!

But...I could make an exception.

4. Stardriver907 Master Engineer

Remember, scripts are not mods ;)

5. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

Are your drones spawning from a fixed location on the same map? If so, you can use the autopilot feature to guide it through searching. As long as it comes across an enemy grid within 800 meters, you can use the turrets to trigger when the drone goes off of autopilot and starts tracking the target grid. Just don't forget... scripts are not mods... and spawned drones despawn after a fixed time.

6. Spaceman Spiff Senior Engineer

No, I'm not spawning the drones. Rather, I'm considering building a drone fabrication facility for attacking a bunch of different enemy grids. I want to pop out a bunch of those puppies then send them en masse against those enemies in an attempt to overwhelm them. And, no, I'm not playing multiplayer...just a single player map I made to fight Xur and the Kodan Armada (actually, a bunch of space pirate facilities from my Castaway! survival scenario).

(Castaway! can be found at https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1885163185)

7. Dax23333 Junior Engineer

8. Spaceman Spiff Senior Engineer

Great suggestion. I'll try it.

9. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

Last updated in 2018... it's probably broken.

10. Spaceman Spiff Senior Engineer

Yeah. I saw that. I haven't tried it, but I suspect you are correct. A lot of changes since then.

11. mojomann71 Senior Engineer

@Spaceman Spiff and @Ronin1973 if you look in the description on Oct16 this year Rdav said there are obsolete messages that come up when using it but it *should* still work.

12. Spaceman Spiff Senior Engineer

Like I said, I'll try it out and see what happens. Here's hoping... :carlton:...or is that "hopping?"

13. Stardriver907 Master Engineer

Many mods and scripts (especially ones that don't depend on an exploit) are able to survive updates. As a rule of thumb, when I see a mod that hasn't been updated in the last year I start reading the comments. If the author has been recently posting and still showing interest, that's a good sign. If the comments are full of posts asking when is the mod going to be updated, and those posts are a year old, that's a sign that perhaps it's time to seek another alternative ;)

Generally speaking, Rdav's stuff is pretty darn good.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. ShadedMJ Apprentice Engineer

RDAV's AI Autominer isn't working now and it seems to be a remote control problem. RDAV is trying to recreate autopilot code.

15. mojomann71 Senior Engineer

@ShadedMJ - don't think is a remote issue. P.A.M [Path Auto Mining] Script still works like a charm. Is similar to RDAV's

16. ShadedMJ Apprentice Engineer

I was going off of _RDAV's_own_commentary_ from the AI Autominer mod.
    "the remote control cannot handle moving or frequently reallocated waypoints"

17. mojomann71 Senior Engineer

@ShadedMJ - understood, maybe RDAV hasn't had time to fully investigate it to see what is the root cause. Just throwing it out there that P.A.M. still works if others need an auto mining script that is still functioning. :)

18. ShadedMJ Apprentice Engineer

@mojomann71 : RDAV was using autopilot for several functions. P.A.M. uses recorded movement. Entirely different approaches. RDAV you just give it a coordinate and it goes. P.A.M. you have to pilot it yourself for the first run while it records.

19. Stardriver907 Master Engineer

Keen's auto pilot does not work like a lot of people expect. There have also been some operational changes over the years as Keen has attempted to "fix" it. As with wheel suspensions, every time they "fix" it, the ability to fine-tune it decreases.

Unfortunately, it is hard to get other players to see the benefit of lots of options with respect to both wheel suspensions and auto pilot. The goal is to make them plug-and-play because people just want to slap them on and have them work, and Keen is happy to oblige. Any conversation I try to start about either one usually dies in less than a page. Without a conversation, Keen will never understand how their efforts to dumb down these blocks stifles engineering opportunities, and RDav's auto miner may never be ready for prime time.

@Spaceman Spiff I had forgotten about P.A.M.. It's probably your best bet.

20. Spaceman Spiff Senior Engineer

I'll check out P.A.M., but without looking at it I'm looking for something that allows me to sic my attack-dog drone on an enemy ship or station. You know, "Sic 'em, boy, sic 'em!!" I think most drone scripts require a GPS location for them to work. I won't have that information.

21. Stardriver907 Master Engineer

I think what you are looking for, then, is one of those homing torpedo scripts. Xocliw showcased one a while back that seemed to work really well, but that was like two major updates ago so...

22. ShadedMJ Apprentice Engineer

@Spaceman Spiff : Another alternative that I've seen on some "torpedo carriers" is a drone is launched, and you keep the carrier pointed at the pirate. Carrier communicates with drone, so drone goes out in same direction carrier is facing, toward pirate.

23. Spaceman Spiff Senior Engineer

Or, as yet another alternative, I pilot each of the little beasties into the fray.

• Agree Agree x 1