Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Dumb Question

Discussion in 'General' started by Sitharen, Jun 26, 2020.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Sitharen Trainee Engineer

Will there be actual NPCs at any point in the future (or have I missed them, since I haven't finished more than the First Jump Scenario yet), or is this designed to be a multiplayer game above all else with occasional drone attacks and animals?

I love the game as it is, it just gets lonely sometimes. Thing is, I know there are lots of servers but I have very specific methods of building and running things, and I have a very selective setup when it comes to creating a world and what I want to put in it or set for the rules. Also, I have seen "Factions" but they all seem to be essentially machines with no people or astronauts at this time. (If the cold lack of humanoids is intentional, I'd love a full story investigating why someday.)

2. Roxette Senior Engineer

It is extremely unlikely that there will ever be actual physical non-player characters in Space Engineers. The underlying game engine and legacy code can barely cope as things are. The behaviour of the wolves and spiders is about as good as it's likely to get, and if you've seen them, you'll know how good that is.

3. ShadedMJ Apprentice Engineer

I've repeatedly brought up. The system as a whole might be able to handle NPC's......if you remove the ships and physics and pretty much everything else in the game.

4. Spaceman Spiff Senior Engineer

That was a smart question.

5. Roxette Senior Engineer

You could try explaining what you're looking for in a post to the multiplayer section of the Steam forum for SE: https://steamcommunity.com/app/244850/discussions/7/
    If you can find enough players that like the ideas it might be viable to have a server set up to suit. It kinda depends how weird your ideas are ;)

6. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

How would you get the AI to navigate grids? How could it navigate grids safely? There has been some AI built by modders as the grid level... like RDAV and others scripting fleet controls etc. But at the level of opening doors, finding control seats, etc. that might be majorly taxing.

Granted... though... it would be interesting to see how far an NPC could be pushed as player on a server using an individual PC to operate it. The client PC wouldn't have any need for graphical display, so perhaps the GPU could be recruited help out in processing? It would be interesting if someone with a bit of know how, would push the envelope as to how "smart" an NPC can be with a full client-side CPU at its disposal.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.