Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. Hello Guest!
    Welcome to the Bug Report forum, please make sure you search for your problem before posting here. If you post a duplicate (that you post the same issue while other people have already done that before) you will be given a warning point which can eventually lead into account limitations !

Here you can find a guide on how to post a good bug report thread.
    Space Engineers version --- Medieval Engineers version
  2. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Dynamic grids clip into the ground

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by gesp_shad, Oct 3, 2017.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. gesp_shad Apprentice Engineer

Howdy,

recently, I encounter that highly annoying bug pretty often with my trebuchet as you can see in our siege camp video at 3:40. Dynamic grids tent to clip through the ground, clang hardly, become static and either explode or launch to the moon.
    For me, this usually happens 3/5 times when I build my trebuchet and "tip it over", but now it also happens when it just stands still on the ground and I try to drag it around. Today I noticed, that some of the beams of its "feet" were already half-sunken into the ground. I barely touched it and the show begun. It was whirling around, turned 90° and got pinned to the ground at the outstandig beam on the foot. The overall tension broke the foot again and the clanging trebuchet was catapulted to the farms 100m away.
    I'd like to mention, that I also found the trebuchet like this when I logged in the next day and the server had a restart. Very frustrating.

Cheers!

Last edited: Oct 3, 2017
  2. Merandix Junior Engineer

All my wagons in my wagon-building world usually make a little 'jump' on loading. It somehow seems related to me. I usually have to right 3-4 lighter wagons after loading.

Something that stands out to me is that the heavier the wagon or cart, the more likely it is to remain upright. They likely all jump, but the wider the wheelbase, and the heavier the cart, the more likely it is to remain upright. Not sure if it is related, but at least the launching of your catapults on loading seems related to this jumping behaviour of my wagons.

3. gesp_shad Apprentice Engineer

Well, I can confirm the bumpy carts when the world is loaded. But as you can see in the video, small grids tend to glitch into the ground when they get moved.

4. sonicthe Trainee Engineer

I've had the "shake" after loading be so great as to cause my rotary farm to actually break apart. Annoying, to say the least!

I think it has something to do with the order in which textures and physics (like gravity) are loaded, or something to that effect. I know when I load, I can see the surface textures shift something sitting on the ground "up" as they load in underneath it, and I think the opposite effect is what causes the "jump". That is, the object was "higher" when the game saved during exiting, and now, there is "nothing" underneath it to hold it up. Until the surface texture loads, that is, forcing the object back up to where it belongs. Thus, the object "falls" a short distance and is then shoved back "up" and "inertia" makes it rise farther than it needs to, and then it "falls" back down onto the ground.

5. Erebos89 ME Tester Staff

Hi,

thank you for report. We know about this.... For some reason this is happening sometimes, but we want to fix it in the future. But do not worry, I will be asking programmers to look at it after 0.6 release.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.