Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Earth like planet has too many mountains?!?!

Discussion in 'Gameplay Help' started by Megachill, Dec 10, 2016.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Megachill Trainee Engineer

Hey guys,

this one has been super weird... so i am running a dedicated server and no matter what I do the earth like planet ALWAYS has extreme mountains, i mean the entire planet is rocky mountains there are 0 flat areas....

Scenario: Scenario_StarSystem

What causes this?? Is it the World name that drives the procedural planet generation?

Seriously this is unplayable so if someone could help I would really really love you long time. ;)

Cheerio,

EDIT: Started playing around more. Took the planet that spawned on my singleplayer world and copied the entire save over to the server which temporarily solves the issue. But still whenever I spawn a new server instance the same issue repeats. Also I have noticed that there seems to be some weird edges and cut offs on some mountain sides. Really odd ,will try and make a picture.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2016
  2. SilentShadow Apprentice Engineer

Planets are not auto generated, they were hand crafted (more or less). Keep looking. There are a few relatively flat spots. However, chances are you will spawn over a mountainous or at least not so flat area.

3. Malware Master Engineer

There are plenty of flat areas around the equator.

4. Megachill Trainee Engineer

Thanks guys, figured as much. Like I said it seems it has to do where the server is spawning people when chosing that specific scenario. That is literally in the middle of the Himalayas. When I test things out in singleplayer I always spawn in different areas, which is what it should be like. However when using dedicated server to generate etc we all spawn on top of crazy mountain. I did overrreact a little tho, so not to worry. Apologies for that :) - I am just going to use a single player save going forward where I can create basic spawn etc for players.

That raises another question. Is there a way for me to create a protected (sort of invulnerable) spawn zone? I know how to make it neutral etc but not sure about the latter.

5. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

The short answer is no. If you spawn inside the gravity well of a planet it will spawn you in a random location above the planet. The spawn settings are controlled inside the .sbc file definitions for prefab. Another .sbc governs defining the prefab AS a respawn ship. Know the difference.

You can control the approximate height range of the lander if I remember. Are you using a standard sized planet or one that's been hacked to a size larger than 120km? The next question is did you MOVE the planet from its original starting position? This may also affect where the lander is generated.

I'll have to find the post that gives the details about how to customize respawn ships. Most guides give you a dumbed down version of making a prefab a respawn ship but I can't find any that give a true tutorial on how to get the ship to spawn in the right place. I've done it myself but I can't remember the exact details since it's been ages. If you want to create a respawn area that is consistent, you have to spawn outside of the gravity well. But that means you have to put at least one ion or hydrogen thruster on the lander so you can at least get the lander into the gravity well. Most players will then complain about the amount of time it takes to spawn and finally touch down.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.