Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Easy to build player made weapons.

Discussion in 'General' started by KissSh0t, Oct 2, 2019.

1. KissSh0t Master Engineer

I have been getting harassed by some pirate raiders and was trying to figure out a way to destroy them easily without risking my ship, which is basically a flying refinery....

Are there any player made weapons that are easy to build / use in survival mode that would be able to destroy the main ship to stop the drones from spawning?

If you have something feel free to share workshop link or image of it here.

2. ShadedMJ Apprentice Engineer

Not to be annoying, but are you 'smartly' fighting pirates? Vanilla pirates fire at 600m but your weapons have a range of 800m. If you can stay at a range of 700m you can beat up pirates fairly easily.

3. KissSh0t Master Engineer

The main pirate ship stays away from my ship at about 4.5km I think is the number, and spawns smaller drones to harass, if I go after the main ship with my large ship it will run away, if I run away it will follow and stay at a distance, whoever programmed this ship did a pretty good job I must say, shame there is no npc characters in the game, that would be another layer of interesting interaction to deal with.

I was just trying to mine gold and then it arrived, I have some turrets to protect my ship from the drones but ammunition doesn't come out of thin air.

I was thinking of making a warhead shooting mechanism using a rotor gun, but I guess that needs a stationary target to be effective.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2019
  4. Spaceman Spiff Senior Engineer

Yeah, most of the pirate ships that spawn drones seem to do it at 4-1/2 km.

5. Forcedminer Senior Engineer

remote control disposable torpedo? :3
    surely they don't be able to stop it in time if you go full ramming speed and lock a gyroscope with enough armor plating it should reach its target. the antenna.
    once thats disabled you could be able to just pick away at the turrets from a safe distance

• Like Like x 1
  6. Sirhan Blixt Apprentice Engineer

A gravity gun, maybe. Two problems I foresee is that it'll likely go through stone fast and I've only hit moving targets at that range by accident.

• Late Late x 1
  7. KissSh0t Master Engineer

I thought that Keen disabled ore from being able to damage blocks? last time I used a gravity gun the stone just bounced off even at point blank...... guess I will have to try that again.

remote control torpedo I think is a good idea, just figuring out how to build them in survival is the tricky part :woot:

8. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

Create a hydrogen powered, battery operated torpedo. Put two H2/O2 generators on it. My experience is that gyroscopes are awesome for kinetic damage so throw on as many of those little bastages that will fit. It will also give your torpedo a lot more mass, so rockets won't drive you so far off course. When it hits, the gyroscopes will keep pushing forward even if they become separated.

I did a gyroscope/merge block torpedo a couple of years ago that spins and releases its merged gyros when it takes its first point of damage. This created a shotgun effect with gyroscope blocks. The results were pretty nice against heavily armored opponents. But even if the gyros don't separate, they are going to wreck whatever they come into contact with.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Sirhan Blixt Apprentice Engineer

Ugh. They might have. It's been a while since I tried that.

10. Cyber Cheese Apprentice Engineer

You really just need some blast doors, a battery, and a few thrusters. Maybe a remote control, gyroscope, and antenna to fly by wire if you're feeling fancy.

Here is an example, but you don't need this much power for an NPC.

You can take the blueprint of your weapon and stick on a large block grid. Then, make a projector and a few welders on your ship by the merge block. Align the projection to the merge block, weld it up, and you have an easily rebuildable torpedo. If you go the blast door route, you won't need too many expensive parts except either ice or thruster or gravity components. If you use hydrogen, of course you also need an accessible conveyor port, but you can manually grind that off once the torpedo has a full tank.

If it were me and I were lazy I would just jump to another asteroid or set up a safe zone to mine inside. I agree that ammo is pricey.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2019
  11. KissSh0t Master Engineer

I made this rotor gun in creative mode, I want to try doing this but with a warhead attached to the rotor head that gets fired, and then to be able to recreate the same thing in survival.

I am guessing I will need to slow down the fire rate considerably to be able to print a warhead :woot:

*edit*

How would I make the warhead projection appear on the rotor head so the welder creates it? not sure how to line it up with the rotor because it compresses a bit like a spring, which is actually how rotor guns work, pulling everything backwards then flinging it forwards.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 4, 2019
  12. Malware Master Engineer

A projection can only be welded on the same grid as the projector, @KissSh0t

13. KissSh0t Master Engineer

ohh.. damn.

Now I really have no idea what to do.

14. Lord Grey Apprentice Engineer

@KissSh0t : Do you need a script for the rapid fire or is there a trick how to get this on scriptles servers?

15. KissSh0t Master Engineer

There is no script, I actually don't know how to use scripts, it's just two timers that is compressing and expanding the rotor heads and detaching / spawning a rotor head at the tip.

The rapid fire is basically the two timer blocks triggering each other.

I followed this guide.

16. Lord Grey Apprentice Engineer

Thanks for the vid. At the end of the vid you get a hint how to solve the projector stuff to add a warhead

17. KissSh0t Master Engineer

Ohhh damn... it does too, I need to figure that out.

18. Lord Grey Apprentice Engineer

I guess you use a merge block instead of the rotor head to detach the projectile.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

I did a youtube video on using the gyroscopes as PMW. I'll post it as a spoiler below. I've posted it to the forums before. Here are some caveats for being easy to build:

The PMW must be buildable via a projection and welder system.
    The weapon must have some sort of guidance system (manual or a script).
    The weapon must be able to detach from its parent grid.

There are several scripts in the workshop that deal with guidance. I've had the most success with stuff from @Whiplash141
    In order to get a merge block to weld up to a a parent grid, attach an armor block to the face of the merge block (the side with the pointy bits) in creative mode and then blueprint it. When you align the PMW with the parent grid's merge block, the armor block will trick the parent grid into accepting the merge block and lock it to the parent grid. If you don't do this, there's a good chance that the merge block on the PMW will begin welding and then just float off without locking.

The demonstration below is probably a bit big for practical use in multiplayer. But if you strip it down to one PMW and one welding rig, it should be fine. My PMW is probably a bit on the expensive side for multiplayer. But it can probably be revised using H2/O2 generators and a connector. Though it's probably a good idea to have a script or series of timer blocks to turn off the connector before detaching. Not being able to exit cleanly will probably lead to some issues with your PMW suddenly exploding in or near your parent grid. :)

20. Stardriver907 Senior Engineer

I was expecting someone else would have suggested this by now, but you should be able to construct a catapult.

Some might fancy ones, I reckon.

Cause it's space.