Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Editing the view distance

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Regnilse, Sep 4, 2017.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Regnilse Trainee Engineer

Hey everyone, I'm looking to mod or change the default view distance in ME. Does anyone know how or where to change it?

Normally this isn't an issue with the game but when playing on a modded planet with an increased diameter the landscape goes out of the view distance before it curves away with the planet. I realize that it wont be great for performance but even being able to change the view distance for screen shots would be nice.

2. CptTwinkie Master Engineer

This is controlled by the save configuration. The default is a hard coded value. My advice would be to recommend a setting for people to use when playing on your planet. The only way to set it ahead of time would be to create a scenario but those aren't moddable either :)

3. Regnilse Trainee Engineer

I figured it wouldn't be moddable but at least being able to tell people how to increase it is great. This will really help the Landskron world.

I think I've found it. Is it in the Sandbox.SBC file in the world save? The default is 2600, I'm guessing that is in meters? If it is in the world save and that world is uploaded to the workshop that setting should stay shouldn't it?

Edit: unfortunately editing that value doesn't help, I will keep tinkering though. Is there any settings in the developer menu, shift+F12, that would change the view distance, I've looked but haven't seen anything yet.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2017
  4. CptTwinkie Master Engineer

You can set it in the server configurator. I'm not sure if this is still in the advanced options of the client or not.

If it's not working then there may be a bug. We'll check it out.

5. Regnilse Trainee Engineer

Aawesome thanks, if we get this figured out you can let Deepflame know I'll add in the surrounding mountains to Landskron :p

6. CptTwinkie Master Engineer

He has been informed
    --- Automerge ---
    Found it. View distance controls blocks. Voxel quality controls voxel render distance.

7. Regnilse Trainee Engineer

Oh man I missed the alert for this. I cant seem to find Voxel quality, where is it located?

8. Ghostickles Senior Engineer

Its in \Roaming\MedievalEngineers\MedievalEngineers.cfg

Not sure what value would scale LOD with the planet. Is it percentages or integers?

<item>
    <Key xsi:type="xsd:string">VoxelQuality</Key>
    <Value xsi:type="xsd:string">0</Value>
    </item>
    --- Automerge ---
    Update: I've tried 1,2,3,10, 100 and 750. No changes. A custom vegetation view of 750 displays the trees on the mountains for which voxel does not render.
    --- Automerge ---
    The planet is over-sized slightly. When you are close to the surface the game does not display chunks beyond a certain distance, however if you fly higher up you can see the chunk count increase and more of the whole map comes into view.
    [​IMG]
    Descend a little and it fades back out.
    [​IMG]

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.