Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

End Game Mining Overhaul?

Discussion in 'General' started by Krisecco, Jul 1, 2020.

1. Krisecco Trainee Engineer

Messing around with the Harpoon Mod i had a cool idea... What if we could Harpoon Asteroids? Not the big ones obviously, but smaller 'large rocks'
    Made me think of that scene in The Expanse, where a freighter is dragging this huge rock back to the belt in a giant net

So here's the process of this idea:

You can plant a charge (Say a mining explosive) onto the side of a normal asteroid currently in the game... when it explodes, it creates a crater but also...
    taking into consideration the amount of asteroid you were able to destroy and the type of material too,
    It will spawn a Large Rock in the centre of the crater (smoke and explosion effects will obviously cover this appearance so it looks smooth)
    This could be a rock similar to the large rock type items we can drop from our inventory (when you drop like 70k stone from a container) but a bit larger and obviously still able to move.

With the integration of Harpoons/rope physics, you will have to engineer solutions for moving large amounts of Rocks in order to refine them like you would in real life. Having to transport these Large Rocks to a bigger refinery or other type of processing in the late game
    In doing so you end up with greater resources then you would just using drills (as it would make logical sense to have the drills not be perfectly efficient at extracting ores or even just bare rock, say around 60% for drills, whereas this process would be 100% efficient giving you a reason to strive for it...

Obviously rope physics is never gunna be perfect, but even in it's currently modded form it's a hell of a load of fun to play around with, considering this is an engineering physics based simulation game... rope physics and obviously intuitive ways in which to use it would be perfect in this game.

Just an idea, what you think?

2. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

I like the idea. But I'd rather see dynamically spawned smaller asteroids that can be towed. Carving off voxels would need a rewrite of how asteroids and voxel materials spawn. Modifying a spawned asteroid makes it become permanent in the game, increasing the save game size (an issue for busy servers).

How about instead of an asteroid, comets are introduced? They are brighter and include a tail until they are captured. They are voxel material, dynamically spawned and despawned, and also have a heavy mass. So your options are to attach a small ship to it and try and cherry pick materials as it's moving. Or use a ship that has a lot more thruster power to try and slow it down and then do with it whatever you want (like take it back to base etc.).

You could use a harpoon (mod) or even landing gear (vanilla) to secure it. I think attaching rarer elements like uranium and platinum to meteors than rare finds on asteroids might be fun. If the spawn mechanism allows it, you could even have an NPC ship chasing the really valuable ones and then try to fight you if you get to close.

I'm not trying to hijack your idea but maybe put incorporate the spirit of it in a way that's easier to introduce into the game.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. KissSh0t Master Engineer

I really like this idea, the challenge of pulling it back to process would be fun too.

*edit*

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 2, 2020
  4. Peeeeeeeter Trainee Engineer

Actually this is good idea! Also it can be used for making some "hanging" bases like: base in the centre of the mountains and hanging gravitational booster over it for better start from the planet!

5. Mollymawk Apprentice Engineer

I actually had this today, and remembered your post. 2 NPC's had a bit of a fight yesterday, flying past the wreckage this evening, I found several large balls of ores of different types, so i took it as a retrieval task, to transport them 20km back to my asteroid base. so a mod sprinkling balls of ore in space could be a thing.

6. Spaceman Spiff Senior Engineer

Oh, man, I'm not sure I would want to be in space sniffing around somebody else's ore-y balls. What would they say?

• Like Like x 1
  7. KissSh0t Master Engineer

8. Spaceman Spiff Senior Engineer

The Dukester doesn't have time to play with himself.