Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Entering and Exiting Cockpits

Discussion in 'General' started by HeavyGuns, Oct 13, 2019.

1. HeavyGuns Trainee Engineer

The large grid cockpits have the option to enter via the front windscreen or a door. When exiting the cockpit (press f) you leave the way you entered. Is it possible to elect which exit to use?

If there isn't, shouldn't there be an alt+f or some other key combination that lets you select or control which exit to use?

2. Malware Master Engineer

The way cockpits work is that they place you where you were when you entered. There aren't really "different exits".

3. hippybaker Trainee Engineer

Fixed yer post :)

4. Malware Master Engineer

@hippybaker It's irrelevant in terms of what's being asked for ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

5. Spaceman Spiff Senior Engineer

What he said...

6. Stardriver907 Master Engineer

Sometimes, usually more so with modded cockpits, you might not end up where you started when you exit. More often than not I'll enter a cockpit from inside the ship and when I exit it puts me outside. It happens so much that I was glad they made relative inertial dampening standard :D.

I think that with large grid cockpits, since they do have a "way in" that is different from small grid, that it should "remember" how you got in, and let you choose how you get out.

7. Malware Master Engineer

@Stardriver907 Should it? Yep. Absolutely. I've even made the same request at some point. But that would require a rewrite on how the entering and leaving the cockpits work. Which is something that's quite unlikely they'll do at this point... might, of course, and @HeavyGuns should add a post on the support site. It's the only way to officially ask for it. But I wouldn't hold my breath ;)

The reason you don't necessarily end up where you entered is if it's detecting an obstacle in one way or another (correct or not is beside the point), then it'll try to find an open spot. Both "entrances" are nothing but detection dummies. The "back door" does nothing different than the "front door", they both invoke the very same action.

This is what's relevant to OP ;)

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  8. Dax23333 Junior Engineer

At least they don't sometimes place you at the nearest medbay anymore...

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. Stardriver907 Master Engineer

@Malware Yeah, I figured it was something like that since the way Keen's staff plays they probably saw no practical reason to make large grid cockpits act differently even though they purposely made them look different, and they usually enter and exit from the outside if they're using a cockpit instead of a flight seat.

@HeavyGuns I have the most success with vanilla cockpits because for some reason the way I put them on doesn't make the game think there is an obstacle near the back door. The industrial cockpit has been very good for me in this regard. You might also want to be sure when you enter the back door that you are squarely positioned next to it and not off to the side as the game wants to put you precisely back where you were.

10. KissSh0t Master Engineer

I think it would be kinda cool if the cockpits had an eject function where it launches you out and it's a one time use thing, breaks the glass and seat comes flying out, so you would have to "weld it" again in terms of gameplay mechanics so the chair goes back and glass where the player and chair pops out the top...

:woot:

11. Spaceman Spiff Senior Engineer

Eject, eject, eject...!!!

12. Malware Master Engineer

@Stardriver907 I suspect the reason is far simpler than that and has little to do with the way they play. The code is the same whether it's the large cockpit or the small one. It's the same class, just different visuals. So, they probably figured that making such a large difference would cost more in terms of manpower and time (and thus money) than the feature is worth. After all, in the big picture it's just an inconvenience, not an actual problem. It wouldn't do much difference, if at all, on sales. This, after all, is how businesses think... Unfortunate but true.

13. Roxette Senior Engineer

I'm guessing it would be a relatively simple change to the model file to remove an entry/exit point - for example to make the new DLC cockpit only accessible via the rear door, not through the glass ? ... but is the model data for the DLC available in the same way that the stock parts are ?

14. Spaceman Spiff Senior Engineer

15. HeavyGuns Trainee Engineer

Thanks, everyone for the input. I think that the vanilla cockpits work as designed. If you enter through the door, you exit by the door. If you enter by the canopy, you exit by the canopy. There are occasions when I would like to control that behavior. Mainly on occasions when the cockpit is being shot at, and I would like to exit through the back rather than into the hail of bullets.

I was wondering if there was a huge, untapped reservoir of resentment over this strategically significant and tactically critical bit of functionality. There doesn't seem to be. I won't be leading any attempts to overthrow the man this week.

16. Stardriver907 Master Engineer

I can't speak for everyone, but I do find it annoying that I can't specifically choose to exit using rear (inside) door. It's only annoying, though. Doesn't send me into a rage.

17. Calaban Junior Engineer

For those times I actually build a passageway to the back hatch of large grid cockpits, I do often wish for a manual way to determine how I exit (f for normal exit, shift-f for back hatch, maybe?)

• Like Like x 1