Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Escape From Mars (Singleplayer / Co-op Scenario)

Discussion in 'Survival' started by Duckroll, Apr 10, 2017.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Farindark Apprentice Engineer

Greetings

@Aldakoopa Thanks totally missed the override on those gyros lol about the only thing I didn't try! Works great now I have a little runabout that's fast and stable as all get out. I can even jump it! :woot:

2. Aldakoopa Apprentice Engineer

Yeah, I love those things. I've been playing and I keep hijacking them and merging them together because I haven't taken the time to scrap them yet. :p

My only complaint is the cargo isn't the easiest to get to.

@Duckroll, this is amazing. This is the game I've always wanted SE to be. I want more of it. I haven't made it very far into your campaign yet because I can't stop pirating cargo shipments. :carlton:

P.S. Figured I should share a screen shot of my pirating efforts. (This isn't including flying shipments, just the ground ones.)[​IMG]

Last edited: May 5, 2017
  3. CrazyEd Trainee Engineer

@Duckroll this thing is beautiful, I love that there is no prescribed solution to "problems" that arise, instead player creativity is assumed, and required.
    I also appreciate that there is no time constraint. I took my time and enjoyed the ride so to speak, and realised you provided at least 2 ways off the planet, (that I found, there could be more ...)

I loved finding the neutral POI's dotted about, it adds a ton of interest and atmosphere, The design of the various buildings kept it interesting, and well I could go on for a long time ! Suffice to say, this is a facet of Space Engineers many of us want.

I salute you and all the others who made this possible !

4. Syncaidius Junior Engineer

Truly amazing! I gave this a go yesterday and it literally blew my socks off. I haven't gotten very far yet, but I'll be continuing over weekend.

The voice-overs add a lot of atmosphere and quality to the mission which I felt was missing from Keen's campaign (which was still very good by the way!).

On a side note, it seems to work really well in 2-player coop. :)

5. Harlequin Otterdog Trainee Engineer

Seems you have better luck at taking them intact, I tend to shred them in the process. Nothing like having to pick over remains spread out on nearly a kilometer of ground. Part of that is that I have trouble seeing turret tracers so I tend to shoot it A LOT until I'm sure the gun is down.

6. Aldakoopa Apprentice Engineer

Yeah. And the reason I'm merging them together is because I will take one, then another one will spawn about the time I get everything hacked to drive it... so I go after the next one. And the next one. And so on.

What I look for is the flames to start pouring from the top of the enemy vehicle. There's always a little more damage around from stray shots but I immediately turn the turrets off as soon as I see that flame.

7. ViroMan Senior Engineer

I love this soo far.. the part I hate... I have 3 zombie supply vehicles running around without power due to killer space bee phenomenon. The MOMENT I kill all power in them... they freak out and go 70ms in random zigzag patters while still staying on the ground. I have to stop my turrets from destroying the batteries on the transports so I can go over and grind all the wheels before I take out the power.

8. SilentShadow Apprentice Engineer

Once you take out their turret the trick is to turn off all but one of your turrets. Then control it and shoot the back wheels (maybe the rear thrusters too.

You want to destroy the tires but only smoke the thrusters. Or, block the vehicle with yours, hop out and grind tires.

9. ViroMan Senior Engineer

I made the mistake of trying to block the transport vehicle with mine... It destroyed all the light blocks BEHIND my door armor blocks... the transport vehicle took almost no dmg and keept going leaving me with no front end basically. I had a WALL of door armor blocks... and it damaged through them into my armor light armor blocks holding the wall up. Just... wtf keen? It wasn't like I had 3 armor blocks holding the wall up... it was solidly backed with light armor very solidly attached to the vehicle.

ok... im ranting but, its... I still cannot understand wtf happened and why there are 3 zombie vehicles roaming the place. My turrets don't shoot the damn things since... no more computer parts on them. So I have no idea the damn things are in the area until they ram me at 70ms. Ohh I forgot to mention... there is a killer tire on the loose too... YES a tire... all by itself NOT spinning, sliding all over the place while attached to nothing.

I am thinking of cheating and editing the vehicles and tire out.

10. Yeoman Trainee Engineer

I'm not sure that's considered cheating. That's fixing.

11. Calaban Junior Engineer

I'm having a BLAST running through this world, trying different things out.

I love how mining and refining is simply off the table, and to build and grow I MUST go out and raid/take stuff.

One of the most fun I had was attacking a cargo ship hauling Uranium Ingots [drooool!], that turned out to be a flyer, so I had to do a CAREFUL strafing run to disarm it, then tried to grab it midair to bring it down in one piece- battling its gyro as we both settled to the ground... I felt a LOT like a real pirate/reaver :) Future raider flyers I made took those problems to heart, and I had to engineer the new raiders into a more fitting design (4 gyros, and nose grappling gear for example)... I had to engineer a better Raider. Awesomesauce.

But the BEST gameplay part for me is dealing with that Iguana. Whether to restore it with its immense demand for different materials, or to snip and merge a functional smaller craft out of its irreplaceable H2 thrusters, the open ended options on what to do with that hunkajunk is amazing.

Things I have done with the Iguana:
    - FULL restoration, as best I can determine from existing hulk (Where did YOU determine the small reactor should go?)
    - Snip the wings and nose off and merged them together for a mini spacecraft with a LOTTA thrust.
    - merge the building to the nose of the Iguana to make a "Terran Battlecruiser" sort of ship (that had a hellova time getting outside)
    - got the hulk outside and made a Jawa Rover out of it with 5x5 wheels, then went raiding bases in a land battleship sorta way.

Setting up workshop world "problems" like this to solve and evolve with, with limited build restrictions, forcing me to keep and USE provided parts by necessity, is something I am REALLY getting the most satisfaction out of.

After a few runthroughs trying different things, one thing that may need to be fleshed out a bit more (or that I may just need to figure out) is the whole "Do not approach without clearance" thing... I tried hacking the large transport flyer into a ship that I could fly but still had GalCorp beacons and ownership but still got shot down. :( I wanted to infiltrate the HQ land on the pad, then ask myself "ok, I got this far.. [gulp] so now what?"

So, all i can say is... well, best summed up with this image:

Last edited: May 13, 2017
  12. Yeoman Trainee Engineer

I just finished the mission yesterday. I opted to take the HQ, not for the faint hearted. I loved the defense setup. I managed to take it with a small grid Rover with the help of some utility trailers I made with rotors.

Last edited: May 15, 2017
  13. ViroMan Senior Engineer

I keep trying to move my mobile main base to move closer to the action... F'n 5x5 wheels keep glitching out. I am driving along at 30km and then... BOOM they loose set height(even though strength set to max and set level is as low as it goes WITH 0 travel) and bottom out dragging my entire either front end or back end... I think I need to put 1x1 training wheels on the base between the 5x5's. :(
    When it bottoms out... it takes half my base with it. AHHHHH <Exit to main menu> NO! I don't want to save!

I am heavily thinking of modifying the main base for flight hopping short distances between charging up via solar instead of frigging wheels.

14. odizzido Junior Engineer

It took me three tries to get a vehicle which functioned well for this scenario. I ended up using 3x3 wheels I think.

15. Farindark Apprentice Engineer

Greetings

In the notes on the scenarios download page he actually does suggest using a 3x3 wheels setup and even suggests both in the notes and on a LCD in the initial crash the settings for the wheels, he seems to have worked out his scenario very well and even all the settings most beneficial to use. One of the many small things that make this scenario so amazing! :tu:

16. JD.Horx Senior Engineer

I want to thank you very much for creating this beautiful immersive scenario for us, the community. It is the first time I actually "play" the game after more than 3 years of early access (usually I only build and create in creative, do only some testing in survival) as it is the first time I actually experience game play in SE. You did a wonderful job of what SE survival should be, enough prebuild structures for immersion, enough freedom end empty space/desert for creativity, enough scarcity and hostile AI/environment to be a challenging experience. And most of all: a living and breathing world, so it seems. Even when there are no other players, this world is populated and reacting on your actions and it is actually fun to create or engineer a vehicle or a fighter to raid a convoy or a station without getting blown to pieces upon first contact.
    I'm not done yet with my first playthrough but I will try to play this with a friend in coop soon.

I hope Keen pays attention to what you did here, since you build a better campaign than they were able to assemble, concerning the creative part of the game: engineering solutions for given problems. Keen only gave us a nice list of actions to execute with nice prebuild ships and rovers. Mostly no creative work needed there. Keen still has so much on their list until they have finally a game.

17. Me 10 Jin Apprentice Engineer

I'm definitely enjoying this scenario. The whole "6-wheeled flatbed rover" deal isn't my cup o' tea, so to begin with I built a 4 wheeled hot rod, canted forward to give the turrets a better shot v.s. ground targets. I just started converting the flight museum into a proper home base and the nearby GCorp air base nearly brought down my newly refurbished scout craft.

I'm finding cobalt to be the limiting factor at this point. This is either coincidence or genius because medbays contain 60 delicious metal grids apiece, but stripping them down means fewer respawn options.

18. ViroMan Senior Engineer

Well I went with the 5x5 wheels because I built a mobile main base. 8 wide by 16 long. Using 3x3 wheels is ... silly for something that big. The hills would almost always make driving a huge pain in the ass.

I plan to drive it to a shipping lane and put up a toll booth. That is of course... if I can get out of starting location with it.

19. odizzido Junior Engineer

Just wanted to post that I found the MRE experiment site. It's really cool. Nice job.

20. JD.Horx Senior Engineer

How are you supposed to get out of the experiment site? I built warheads to blow up the front door. Or should I go through the ceiling?

21. starmindfr Apprentice Engineer

I was asking myself the same yesteray, not very clear, also not sure how many warheads could be needed as this thing is very big and need a nice hole...

22. Duckroll Trainee Engineer

I expect the slope at is the easiest way out. My Alpha testers gave me estimates on how many explosives and warheads were needed, I've never done it myself. Agree it's difficult, but it's the last challenge in the Scenario.

23. JD.Horx Senior Engineer

Thanks for the answer, nethertheless I blew my way out the front door an hour ago, seemed easier for me. I've made it out and i must say you created a beautiful campaign! Thanks for the work you put into this!

24. Echillion Senior Engineer

@Duckroll You Sir are a Evil Genius! I know what you did with the large grid weapons! and Thank you for one of the best times I've had playing Space Engineers :D

25. starmindfr Apprentice Engineer

Another question by the way how are we supposed to "find" stations as we dont have binoculars and lots of things dont appear on gps / hud, any official suggestion in order to keep balance ?

26. ViroMan Senior Engineer

Jetpack around with 4+ bottles of Hydrogen. Set your sight range to 15k or more. You could probably circle the planet with 5 bottles.

27. starmindfr Apprentice Engineer

not fantastic but i do same by now.

Anyone have suceed to repair the "ruined" gcorp vehicule ? its not big deal but when i tried to convert to ship, result is not good at all :p

28. Arcturus Senior Engineer

So I basically just started and built a rover:

It is rather sad for some reason and doesn't want to go anywhere. It isn't static to the ground, it was cut off a post but the wheels are not holding it up.

29. ViroMan Senior Engineer

your wheels are upside down. :woot:
    round nobby thing goes up err... I think... damn it. Nope not gana wait 10 minutes to start the map and check.

also... you should feel ashamed at that vehicle. its going to die in 5 seconds... No I mean it. You need armor. Or at least a few decoys...

30. Duckroll Trainee Engineer

Yes, the wheels are upside down. Also make sure it's not a station, go to info tab and click convert to ship if needed.

• Agree Agree x 2
Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.