Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Estimated Time Frame of Major Update releases?

Discussion in 'Suggestions and Feedback' started by UncleCletus, Aug 6, 2017.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. UncleCletus Trainee Engineer

Not 100% sure if this is the right thread to post this in...

Is there any chance that we could get an estimated time frame of when the next major update release will be?
    I always hear in an update video or read on here that "this and this is getting ready for the next major update" and then it feels like that update will be next week and so on for a few weeks till the major is out.

Would other people like to know an estimated time frame as well?

Sorry if this post is a load of bollocks and the reasoning or answer to my question is posted somewhere else, I read a few posts and did some soul searching but I didn't see anything

2. Malware Master Engineer

There is none, and there won't be. Majors are released when they're ready to be released. Not even Keen has that knowledge, and it's very much on purpose. Programming is difficult to the point of impossible to predict. Placing a time frame does nothing but put a pointless pressure on, pressure which causes stress, which causes bad code.

Trust me. This is to our advantage.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. odizzido Junior Engineer

If I were working on SE I would give an estimate. Then it would be way off and people would be angry.

• Like Like x 1
  4. PilotMax Apprentice Engineer

That's why they don't announce features (including planets).

5. haibusa2005 Trainee Engineer

Last major updates were published 6 weeks apart, so a major release might be scheduled every 2 months or so, give or take a week.

6. Syncaidius Junior Engineer

I think it needs to be less about 'when' the update is and more about 'what' they're actually working on. For all we know its some completely rubbish feature that only a minority wants, while they continue to hype the rest of us up with this "next major update" we hear about.

Maybe they're mentioned on a SE stream somewhere, but given how few views they end up with, I think its safe to say the majority of the player-base doesn't watch them and therefore won't know about any announced features via streams. If they have a clear plan for the next major update, it would be better to just tell us what they're working on in the update videos, as to not disappoint those who wait weeks for the major updates, only to find out its something they don't really care about.

They don't need to give us an ETA, just some idea of what to expect when it actually arrives. In the past they've sometimes talked about optimizations and experimental things in update videos, which is nice, but more on what is actually going to be in the next major would also be great. :)

7. Malware Master Engineer

It's just worked out that way. What I'm saying is official as explained by Keen themselves when they switched to the current dev method. They really don't schedule majors.

8. haibusa2005 Trainee Engineer

Sure, "when it's done" is good enough for me.. The game is playable enough as is.

9. SpecFrigateBLK3 Senior Engineer

And hear more complaints from people who aren't close enough to the project to know what NEEDS to be done? Hear people complain about "this isn't meeting my arbitrary standard" when there's a slew of other bugs to stomp or groundwork needs to be laid?

• Like Like x 1
Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.