Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Expired Havoc license. An official statement please.

Discussion in 'General' started by Ronin1973, May 26, 2016.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

So like so many of you, my physics engine does not work and a lot of the cause is pointing to the Havoc license having expired.

As this is game breaking, an official bit of forum news would be helpful to address the situation and its resolution.

Thanks in advance for your official reply.

• Agree Agree x 4
  2. ozarkamax Junior Engineer

/facepalm i thought i broke my save this whole time sure enough

[​IMG]

3. RayvenQ Moderator

I'm sure an official statement will be made, when the developers are awake, currently however, it is nearly 6am for them, unfortunately this happened in the middle of the night for them so they were all asleep when it happened.

• Like Like x 3
  4. Phoera Senior Engineer

holy shit...thanks for screenshot of license, interesting...

5. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

Perhaps this licensing status filters down to the end user because the game is officially in alpha rather than a gold release? That's just speculation and I'm curious how the licensing applies to Alpha releases. We have to do something with our next few hours of free time. :)

6. Phoera Senior Engineer

what i find out, yes.

7. JamesG Trainee Engineer

Seems they've been asleep for more than just one night.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. RayvenQ Moderator

I'm not entirely sure what you're trying to insinuate there, but I have a feeling you probably should stop.

• Agree Agree x 9
  9. Spets Master Engineer

I wish this is the end of clang, and it was this limited version fault all this time. Because I heard that this Havoc version does not allow multitrheading? and in the livestreams they said they are testing multithreading. So, are they changing the Havok version to a better and advanced one?

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Shatara422 Trainee Engineer

In fairness, someone did point it out the impending doom at least a few days ago. I suppose a random forum post is easily missed, but...

• Like Like x 1
  11. losCHUNK Trainee Engineer

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 9
  12. Maddo Trainee Engineer

I wonder how this will effect their license pricing.
    - The game has been very successful so far.
    - A large part of that success is because of it's physics/collisions.
    - Now that it has already expired they are highly motivated to negotiate a new license quickly.

Not sure how 'negotiated' Havok licences are but this all puts them in a really bad negotiating position.

13. WindMillStalker Trainee Engineer

A mistake or oversight in the development cycle is one thing, but to let an engine license like this outright expire?

I am sorry, Keen, but what the fuck?

• Agree Agree x 5
  14. RayvenQ Moderator

As has been said, the fact that it retroactively disable it and messed up previous builds was, unexpected, it shouldn't have happened, it should have only caused issue on their end when they tried to compile, not cause versions compiled before the expiration.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Rabir Trainee Engineer

I'm impressed, that KSW paid for such a shitty engine... While with UnrealEngine or Unity we would play with much more FPS and a way better physics engine... Seriously Havoc Physics (by reading the log) version is from 2014, that is 2 years old... Since 2 years it didn't got optimized, got performance boost or anything...
    I still can't figure out why they choose such a shitty engine...

• Disagree Disagree x 2
  16. Phoera Senior Engineer

can you argue why you call it shitty?

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. fourthquantum Senior Engineer

Rotors and pistons.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Phoera Senior Engineer

are sure this is Havok fault not KSH?
    i am not, so i will not make such loud words.

• Like Like x 1
  19. SileniusFF Apprentice Engineer

As expected, forums are exploding over this. Steam forums must be even worse.
    Lets be civilized till we hear something from KSH.
    Guess it is just luck it did not happen over weekend but on patchmas ;)
    Hope for a fix soon.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Light_gemini Junior Engineer

Micro$oft bought Havok back in october. I tried to search for info about how its going but found nothing. They are supposed to still be licensing havok but may it be that talks havent gone easy? Anyone in the world of software knows whats the status on Havok under MS?

21. strangecalibur Trainee Engineer

It is most likely that they are changing version to get multi-threading support.

• Agree Agree x 2
  22. Phoera Senior Engineer

nothing changed for old licensed products, but depends from license type.
    Havok don't use online license check, just build-in in personal version.

23. Hotshot Jimmy Senior Engineer

Well all I can say is oops :D

• Funny Funny x 1
  24. RayvenQ Moderator

Update released that should fix the problem, if you haven't gotten the update, restart steam.

• Like Like x 4
    • Informative Informative x 2
  25. Commander Rotal Master Engineer

Peep might have asked themselvs the same thing i did when opening this thread: how does one let a vital licence expire like this? Does that thing really come with an expiration date? I mean, i get forgetting to pay for stuff but you'd think they'd have an alarm clock at the ready for things like that. But i'm not complaining; i've said it before, i'll say it again - no matter how huge an undertaking, Havok has to go. I don't know which engine to use instead, i only know Havok's not cutting it.
    Edit: soooo, was that a bug or....?

Rotors and Rotors.

Having said the important stuff... how's that stuff working out for y'all? 'cause i'm happily building away just the same way i did yesterday. (Well, for a certain meaning of "happily", i'm getting a bit frustrated with 2,5 meter walls.) (there was an SE-patch when i turned it on so they might've fixed it already)
    Edit: well, there it is.

Don't they already use multi-threaded Havok, but aren't using the option to multi-thread it?

Last edited: May 26, 2016
    • Agree Agree x 3
  26. RayvenQ Moderator

I doubt they expected the expiration of the licence to affect end users, least of all in the middle of the night for them, more that they expected it to be only a problem they'd suffer when it came to compiling an updated version. All the people I've spoken to, that aren't keen, agree that killswitching it on the client end, makes no goddamn sense whatsoever and isn't what usually happens. But, Keen have sorted it within a couple of hours of being in the office, it's just bad luck it expired in the night and actually affected people, which isnt what they probably thought was gonna happen.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Informative Informative x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  27. WindMillStalker Trainee Engineer

Seems to have been fixed already. Keen on the ball fast enough on the repair I guess. Noice. Spengineer on, me pretties.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  28. Maddo Trainee Engineer

They got that fixed nice and fast.

• Agree Agree x 3
  29. Hotshot Jimmy Senior Engineer

As has been said they didn't expect it to effect the end user so no wonder they didn't do anything to fix it until they got into the office, bet they got one hell of a fright though haha. Fixed now anyway :) and rotors do work just not all of the time :D We've talked about this Rotal :words::words::mad::words::words::eek:ops: (don't hate me :D)

• Funny Funny x 1
  30. Commander Rotal Master Engineer

Never! You're not a Rotor, after all. Or a Conveyor.
    Are you a Conveyor in disguise, Jimmy?

• Funny Funny x 7
Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.