Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Explain to me Exploration ships on workshop

Discussion in 'General' started by SirConnery, Mar 17, 2019.

1. SirConnery Trainee Engineer

So, I don't quite understand what the exploration ships in the workshop are for. If you add them to your mods will you be able to find them in space with random events on?

2. J-Cataclism Trainee Engineer

Hey!

Are you talking about some specific MOD which adds more encounters?

3. SirConnery Trainee Engineer

I'm talking about all the ships in workshop tagged "exploration" like this list https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=373064835

As far as I understand Survival used to be "exploration mode" in the past? And these ships were then added as the random events for it? I'm just wondering if it is still the case you can add random ships from workshop tagged "exploration" and then they appear as derelict ships in game.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Roxette Senior Engineer

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. SirConnery Trainee Engineer

Shame, I guess I should do the legwork to add some of my favorite ships to work with Modular Encounters as a modpack one day. Didn't look very hard to do it by the tutorial. But just some busy work that I'd rather someone else do :D

6. mojomann71 Senior Engineer

Exploration tag was meant to use for people to have a chance to get their ships into the vanilla game as derelicts. They were to be mod free, rotor and piston free, have little to no uranium. As @Roxette stated, people abused the tags and so now is just pointless.

• Like Like x 1
  7. FoolishOwl Apprentice Engineer

To be fair, it's rather hard to find out what the Exploration tag was about, without either having been around since the beginning, or having asked someone who has.

I could see that there was a list of tags for the Workshop, but when I uploaded blueprints, there was only one option for a tag: Exploration. And there was no explanation for what that meant. Well, I was designing things that were mostly, thematically, for exploration, so I chose that tag for the ships I uploaded. And, several of them went against the requirements. (But then, so did a lot of the blueprints KSH actually ended up using.)

I've thought about going back and stripping out the tag, but, it still seems pointless.

8. mojomann71 Senior Engineer

@FoolishOwl it just gives you the option to check exploration if you think/know your ship met the requirements, which on Keen's part they did not give the user any information of this on screen.
    You do not have to mark the BP it will still publish it.
    Keen is to blame for that, just tossed it in as update notes way back when and basically forgot about the idea they came up with. Lol.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Stardriver907 Senior Engineer

Yeah, it was a nice idea that got buried under a lot of other ideas. It did not help that "exploration" was the only block to check. It looked as if you needed to check the block to publish, so everyone did, and Keen got overwhelmed by requests to have blueprints reviewed for exploration, and it was a low-priority problem that didn't get fixed by a single line stating that "if you want your ship considered for exploration, check this box."

Although now that I think about it, if Keen had done what I just said everyone would still check the box :p

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. mojomann71 Senior Engineer

@Stardriver907 correct because who takes the time to read instructions.... lol

• Agree Agree x 1