Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Exploding....cargo container?...

Discussion in 'General' started by Morloc, Jan 6, 2015.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Morloc Apprentice Engineer

I build a module which had a large cargo container in its center along with a circular gravity generator, a few batteries, small reactor, gyro, cockpit, thrusters, connectors and collectors around four sides with light armor fleshing it out to be roughly cube-shaped with "funnels" to help collect ore pulled in.

The idea was to move this into position when mining, and then go at it with a small drilling vessel, collecting the excess ore which normally flies off.

I moved it into position inside an asteroid and began to drill. I checked every so often to see if the collectors were functioning as expected, and everything appeared fine. I went back to drilling, and at one point my graphics began to lag tremendously (drills turning slower etc.). I generally don't have many performance issues, so wasn't sure what was happening, but when I checked on the ore-collection module it had detonated!

It was rotating out of control thrusters firing intermittently. One battery and the cgg had survived creating a swirling, tumbling maelstrom of death with a cloud of debris and ore orbiting the hulk. The large cargo container at the center was gone, and from the looks of it, the container had exploded ripping apart much of the module.

Is it possible that four collectors feeding the container ended up over-filling it and causing it to rupture? I've heard of drills exploding, so would assume this could be a similar thing.

I'm sure that inertial dampeners were on and that there was hours of power available.

-Morloc

2. Latsabb Senior Engineer

I would bet money that either a module was destroyed, and then the container took a direct hit, or that the light armor skin took a hit, which deformed it. As soon as it deforms, it pops everything right behind it. In this case, it was likely your cargo container. (which are notorious for popping when anything near it is deformed)

3. Cyber Cheese Apprentice Engineer

Over filling won'the cause an explosion directly. More likely is that the ore hitting the ship damaged the armor/collectors to the point of destroying the cargo container. This, in turn, released more ore, causing more damage.

4. exorcarnifex Apprentice Engineer

This happened to me last night. Just finished upgrading my miner with retractable landing gear and I took it into an asteroid... boom. All 3 large cargo containers inside went boom. I'm guessing it's worth building with a one-block buffer of empty space around containers?

5. StuffYouFear Apprentice Engineer

What they have all said is correct, your amor deformed and popped your cargo container. Ways to prefent this, surround your cargo contanor with non finshed armor blocks, then add a second layer of heavy armor ontop of it. Two layers normaly prevent the deform bug. As far as why it looked like it exploded so massivly, the way cargo works is it can hold more volume in ore(the total size, not weight) than the size of the container, in a 1,1,1 type world, and gets worse the larger the storage modifer is, such as a 10,10,10 world.

So in short, your 5 meter by 5 meter by 5 meter cube most likely broke and the item that spawned in its place was 20 meters by 20 meters by 20 meters, and that displaced half your ship :(

6. Textor Junior Engineer

I recommend turning the gravity force down on the spherical grav generator, since if the rocks are not rotating as fast, they are not as likely to damage the ship... they'll just take a bit longer to get collected.

7. Morloc Apprentice Engineer

Thank you all for the insight.

I'd tested the impacts of the ore using .25 G and decided to use that setting. I'd never seen any deformation or damage registering on the armor blocks or in my original experiment the reactor and cgg were also exposed, and never took any damage.

I was thinking though...it's possible I was careless with some large stone clumps manually expelled by hand. These are much larger than typical ore pieces, and if F=MA holds in SE, then I was putting out some whoppers I'd never seen in my original testing. These may have been the killers.

I'll work on isolating the container from the outside skin though. Didn't know about the dangers of deformation.

Thanks again,

-Morloc

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.