Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Exploit report. 1.189.029 - space respawn pod.

Discussion in 'General' started by Ardyfact, Feb 3, 2019.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Ardyfact Trainee Engineer

How to duplicate Space respawn ship. If you select a space respawn pod you can grind down the survival kit. Then turn the ship into a station. lastly highlight everything and transfer it to nobody in the control panel. You can then kill you self and respawn with a new respawn pod. You should be less than 20km from your last location. Simply fly to your old ship and repeat the process.
    With a group of friends you can do the same thing as you may spawn close to each other. My group of friends and I did this Exploit in mass amounts. One person can make a grinder ship and welder ship out of the space respawn pod, and the other members can respawn and feed ships to the first player. My group and I were able to use remote controls blocks to send ships in to a grinding ship make us have all the parts we need. We then worked on making a large gun ship with all of the parts in about 4 hours of game play. We even helped to reach the PCI limit of the server.
    In order to fix this exploit or at least to slow it down. The space respawn ship should spawn in random locations with in the system very far apart from each other. You could still use a remote block to send ships to a waypoint but it would take hours for the ships to arrive and they might hit asteroids on the way there. Hope this helps.

2. Spaceman Spiff Senior Engineer

Or you can recognize this exploit and avoid it. The respawn ship already comes with everything you need to get started very easily. Why would you want or need more?

3. mojomann71 Senior Engineer

@Ardyfact you did mention it took four hours to do, that is not all that fast. There is always the option to delete respawn ships or set to no respawn ships in the options. So it really is not so much a cheat or a bug since it is preventable by who ever sets up the server or MP session.

4. Calaban Junior Engineer

Oh. Yeah well that's the last exploit abuse of "lander farming" .. where player keep spawning Landers and flying then to their base for materials, instead of assembling them. It's unethical, and something KSH had tried to stop with it's "only one spawn point" mechanism in the new beta tests.

I suspect there will be change in the next beta test to stop this and another spawning exploit, I'll describe below:

If the server admin doesn't adjust it, the default spawn range within another player is only 4km (!!) Raiders found and exploit (that I reported and detailed thoroughly) to simply spawn in a lander pod, grab the rifle, 3 magazines, and an h2 bottle, turn OFF the pods survival kit, and go raiding.

If he dies he just respawns again in a fresh lander within 4km (and a handy good Mark of where he died), reloads, and repeats.

His victim does not get a free rifle, ammo, and bottle each time he dies trying to defend his base, and will inevitably lose the battle. His base he spent hours on is wrecked by a raiders spending 10 minutes.

Boo.

So, you may see by these spawn problems, the issues still are being figured out, and hopefully a good solution is already in the works.

My recommendation to fix the spawn problems is simple:
    Make permanent death a thing by default. Respawning back to an original starter ship (which you'll have to do only if you have no valid spawn nowadays) turns all your current grids to owner Nobody, and you lose all GPS markers.

If that sounds too harsh, that's only because you plan to continue using a respawn exploit.. so shame on you anyway.

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. May Rears Apprentice Engineer

So, the same exploit as being able to spawn in the old school lander repeatedly for effectively infinite parts. Never done it, never intend to do it. If you want to do that just play creative.

Considering how many times you can die thanks to Klang this would indeed be too harsh.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Malware Master Engineer

HELL no. I hate permadeath. And I never use any kind of game exploit. Ever. Exploits are anti-me.

• Agree Agree x 5
  7. Calaban Junior Engineer

Ironic avatar name choice then.. ;)

Permadeath has very little to do with clang. Permadeath doesnt mean Ironman mode, where each time you die this happens. It means every time you die and have no medbay spawn to reclone at. Or each time you voluntarily choose to respawn in a starter ship- it effectively counts as a different You.

And if you wave your medbay(s) under clangs nose, or place such a vital thing anywhere near the rest of your base buildings (and not in a bolt hole somewhere) well, thats just Darwinism :)

Its a sad state of affairs, but (Batfleck) if there is a 1% chance of some waste of a life exploiting it, we have to take it as a 100% certainty that it will occur, and will ruin play for others. And on that note, the needs of the honorable must suffer so that the trolls may F.O.A.D. Put aside how such a thing would inconvenience a good player, and instead think of how it would shut town a Sociopathic players' meta exploits, and ruin his "fun"

just my $.02 tho. I dont call the shots over at KSH. I do call game breaking problems tho

Last edited: Feb 5, 2019
  8. Malware Master Engineer

Yes. Yes it is. Quite purposefully too, I assure you.

9. mojomann71 Senior Engineer

That is when kicking and banning a player comes in. :)

10. Vorg Trainee Engineer

There is/was a setting in server that prevented you from using the same respawn in a given amount of time. Again, can be harsh with bugs.

I would prefer starting on planet, but even if play spawning was more spread out, it's till much easier for griefers to find you. During testing, I spent several hours getting a simple base going figuring out how teh new stuff worked combined with the fact that I hadn't played in years. Then the server started having problems and needed restarting. I couldn't get back in because it filled up to fast. When I finally did, what little base I had was griefed. Kit and cargo was hacked, wind tower distroyed, but most of the resources was left. I don't like playing on pvp servers because too many people just see that as an excuse to grief other peoples work.

11. vadersson Trainee Engineer

Yeah, what is with all the Griefers? Some friends and I built a nice little base on Mars, and some jerks came and destroyed most of it and left LCDs with some rude messages.

12. mojomann71 Senior Engineer

@vadersson is probably the same people that go to a beach and start kicking down everyone's sandcastles. :)

13. Vorg Trainee Engineer

Is the nature of games when they allow PVP. It happens in just about every game. Even in PVE only games, far too many spend their time looking for exploits to grief people instead of just injoying the game

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. mojomann71 Senior Engineer

Now I do like a good prank now and then, but I only do it with people I know. (Like moving their ship to another location turning off beacon or power.) :)

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. Stardriver907 Senior Engineer

Griefing is the number one problem for server admins. Anything you do to stop it hurts everyone. I've heard a lot of solutions. None seem to work.

The price of freedom, I guess.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Calaban Junior Engineer

The world of online gaming is rapidly sliding into anonymous depravity. Games like Rust, combined with Kids These Days... is a sloppy, entitled, cocktail of suck that heralds the End Times of all social gaming interaction.

I'm sure grandpa said the same thing though, about the graphic violence inherent in video games of the 90s. I miss the graphic violence. Least the Graphic Violence doesnt spawn camp my medbay saying over and over again "you mad, bro? you mad, bro?"

[/soapbox]

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Spaceman Spiff Senior Engineer

Yer damn right, sonny! Now get the hell off my lawn!!

18. Calaban Junior Engineer

I prefer to think of that old guy meme as the Clint Eastwood version of "get off my lawn"... which was a bit more badass

If any readers havent seen Gran Turino... sorry to ruin your meme... but this is how its done. (R rating)

Maybe someday this sort of gaming interaction all we will be left with.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. Spaceman Spiff Senior Engineer

That's exactly what I was thinking when I posted it (from the movie Gran Torino).

20. mojomann71 Senior Engineer

I tend to think of it as the old school comic strips with the old dude shaking his cane at the young whipper snappers.. lol

21. Stardriver907 Senior Engineer

In other words, me.

• Funny Funny x 1
  22. mojomann71 Senior Engineer

@Stardriver907 it is me as well. I definitely am no longer a "spring chicken". :woot:

23. Spaceman Spiff Senior Engineer

Well, then, get in line, brother!

• Funny Funny x 1
  24. mojomann71 Senior Engineer

Mojo reporting for Geriatric Walker duty!

25. Spaceman Spiff Senior Engineer

I think I'm safe from a walker for awhile yet, but dang does everything hurt when I climb out of bed in the morning! My 17-year-old son keeps me young. (That said, we did a 4-day long, 50-mile long backpacking trip (a Boy Scout outing) into the Pasayten Wilderness (in the North Cascades in Washington State) awhile back that just about killed me, even after spending months preparing for it.)

• Like Like x 2
  26. mojomann71 Senior Engineer

@Spaceman Spiff I have a younger son still left in the nest. Would like to do the same with him but he is more of a home-body. And I know all too well about hurting in the mornings!

• Like Like x 2
  27. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

I tend to use longer respawn ship times to deter people from farming. If you set the balance right, farming ships isn't as lucrative as progressing. If you have to wait an hour for a new ship, then it's not very helpful to farm them. You can get a lot done in an hour.

The downside is to nubs who spawn into your server and crash their ship within the first few minutes. They tend to annoy themselves and rage quit to another server rather than wait an hour.

28. Vorg Trainee Engineer

Or spawn in 1 minute before server shuts down for restart and the respawn ships are set to go away if you log out...

Not much way of knowing when next server restart is until you get in.

29. Roxette Senior Engineer

But the server restart is not the same as logging out. In that case the respawn ship will remain, and once you reconnect you will be back in it. The important thing is not to log out, just wait (preferably with the ship stationary) until you see the server has shut down, and then reconnect once it has restarted. Watch out for the stupid auto-connect which for reasons best known to Keen will give up trying the original server after a short time and just connect you to another random server instead.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.