Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Exploration, how does it work?

Discussion in 'General' started by Avaslash, Sep 26, 2016.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Avaslash Trainee Engineer

Are ships that you are subscribed to on the workshop added into the game when you turn on "random encounters" or is it just the small selection that was added in during that brief build "contest" in 2015? Has this feature of the game been completely abandoned?

2. Speshal_Snowman Apprentice Engineer

It's a selection of different ships from the workshop, that they picked out.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Avaslash Trainee Engineer

But is that selection getting updated?

4. Speshal_Snowman Apprentice Engineer

It has in the past, not frequently, but not so sure on that. Maybe they add things in without announcing them.

5. Hotshot Jimmy Senior Engineer

I think they add them when they run contests, just in case I still use exploration tags when it just so happens a workshop item I build is vanilla.

6. Avaslash Trainee Engineer

Dont you think they should do it as an automated process? It must be tedious for keen to run contests over and over not to mention that their last one was over a year ago.

7. Phoera Senior Engineer

ships selection still manual work.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Avaslash Trainee Engineer

But it doesn't have to be, dont you agree? If tagging things as "exploration" came with actual guide lines (such as no mods detected) and block limits then ships marked as exploration could be added into the game.

9. Hotshot Jimmy Senior Engineer

So when you're flying around and you find a ship which is actually just blocks spelling out; "I hate *******" (Die Hard 3 fans know) or a massive unemmersive golden penis you think an automated process would pick that up? Nope.

Hence why it is a manual selection process basically because of numpties out there and a few other reasons to do with ship design too.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. Phoera Senior Engineer

nope, cuz it can alllow cheaty or shitty content to become part of the game.

also, mods can't extend this?

11. Avaslash Trainee Engineer

How about only ships that users are subscribed to or have made the top of the workshop while still meeting base requirements?: No mods + certain number of blocks. Let the community manage it through rating. Only ships with a high enough rating are added into exploration. So that way yes a giant penis can find its way into your game.. BUT it would have to be a really really good and popular penis.

12. GrindyGears Senior Engineer

I don't know why you bothered to basically post the same thread twice, once here and once in suggestions. But regardless of that...

The guidelines were pretty straight forward in the past, I don't have the exact numbers off the top of my head, but I'm pretty sure it was something along the lines of max block count, max triangle count, and be completely vanilla, with no moving parts (I think....?) really can't get much more straight forward and to the point than that.

13. Sergeant Snuggles Junior Engineer

Here is why it isnt automated - Average Maturity of Internet user = Penis images are highest form of wit....

I dont play SE much at all anymore but I wouldnt dare think that the internet can be trusted with auto uploading into a game. Jesus did you see what happened to Microsofts chat bot when it was let loose on the world?

Just because i prefer to be constructive - What this really needs is someone updating the list of available ships once a month or something to add new flavour. Probably would give the keen dev team a chance to just unwind a bit and see some really cool designs for themselves. It doesnt have to be a dedicated job and it doesnt need to be done regularly but given the features freezes, adding custom player ships and designs to the exploration flotilla would be an easy step towards keeping players happy.

14. Elfi Wolfe Apprentice Engineer

3 new ships added on 21sep2016.

15. Sergeant Snuggles Junior Engineer

There you go @Avaslash 3 new ones in september, not too bad, considering they are supposed to be working not just looking at other peoples creations.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. FlakMagnet Senior Engineer

Allowing just anyone to put ships in game .... interesting concept.
    And so naive.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Avaslash Trainee Engineer

Only ships with a certain rating and workshop level as well as meeting specific requirements will be added. Seeing as the number of ships that reach the workshop front page is rather small and even smaller after guidelines (block limits, no mods), it would be an easy system to moderate and automate. Ships that are obviously obscene will be flagged by the devs and simply not added. Otherwise, they get in.

18. Malware Master Engineer

Boom, no longer automated... :p

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. DDP-158 Master Engineer

Workshop ratings are so easy to manipulate

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Avaslash Trainee Engineer

Its mostly automated. Its easier to remove the few dick ships as they crop up (not that any have EVER reached the front of the workshop) than it is to pour through the entire workshop every so often searching for ships manually.
    --- Automerge ---
    Only to an extent. It depends on how high the bar is set in the system. At the end of the day your creation still has to be good.

21. Malware Master Engineer

And you think that won't change when people realize they can hack the system and get this stuff in? You don't think the workshop will be flooded with ships people want to get in there?

I'm sorry, but I have to agree, believing this will work is rather naive... you think better of humanity than I do :p
    --- Automerge ---
    And also... when does it stop? Does it delete prefabs again after a while and replace them with new ships? They can't just fill up forever...

Finally; frankly - the exploration system is really quite silly in itself. I personally never use it.
    --- Automerge ---
    No, I don't think so, but frankly it should be...

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  22. iN5URG3NT Senior Engineer

I like this idea. Just allow SE to add the ships the player is subscribed to assuming they meet the requirements. User moderation solves the problem and produces unique worlds. Personally, I think just adding a few of the larger fleets would create a cool environment. Now if only they would fight each other...

23. DDP-158 Master Engineer

No it doesn't actually. Go to the workshop, click exploration, and most popular of all time. You'll see 2 names on there who figured out how to game the system.

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. iN5URG3NT Senior Engineer

@DDP-158

I believe that particular loophole is now closed. It was a bug.

25. Captain Broadstairs Apprentice Engineer

To be honest, if you want more exploration encounters you are better off using mods for it, while the developers have added something that nods towards exploration encounters its far from a complete feature and one I doubt is recieving much priority in the games current stage of development.

[EEM] Exploration Enhancement Mod v.2.6 stands out above the rest, adding over 200 encounters, far more encounter types than the games stock system with contributions from many popular workshop creations, factions and even a trading system.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2016
    • Agree Agree x 1
  26. Elfi Wolfe Apprentice Engineer

But I play with no mods.

27. Lothos Apprentice Engineer

out of curiosity, are there or can there be random station encounters that are asteroid based?

28. Hotshot Jimmy Senior Engineer

Not that I know of as its a tricky thing to place an asteroid AND an object together and probably more hassle than it is worth.

29. FlakMagnet Senior Engineer

I can't see how they could do that with procedurally generated asteroids, as the base would not 'know' what shape the asetroid was. It would have to be a pre-placed asteroid with a base on it. Presumably they could do it...but it would need a prefab asteroid with a premade base. Just fixed rather than floating. You can spawn in speficic asteroids ... but I don't think you can do it with a construction on it. The position of the base would have to be known, relative to the position of the base. As long as both have a margin for error that ensures the bae is fixed to the rock, then it probably could be done.

Personally, I think the game needs more stuff both on worlds and out in space. Things to make you go wandering and things to look for.

I don't think the solution can be to use workshop content though, as the effort required to filter out the unsuitable and ensure the craft were balanced would be as much work as having a craft purpose built by Keen.

30. Avaslash Trainee Engineer

The only name i see repeatedly is JD Horx which to be fair its not like his ships are bad! And as insurgent said, the loophole has been closed.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.