Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Exploration: Ship Damage States

Discussion in 'Suggestions and Feedback' started by WhiteWeasel, Dec 31, 2014.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. WhiteWeasel Senior Engineer

VEGETA, WHAT DOES THE SCANNER SAY ABOUT THE SHIPS DAMAGE LEVEL!? Sorry, I had to. :rolleyes:

One thing that irks me about exploration is that there are no variations of a ship. Other people have voiced complaints about finding pristine ships too. So I propose a system of ship conditions the devs could use as a rubric to enter your ships by. To keep things organized I propose a tiered system with well defined parameters to people know what to build. Also the example ship is my entry for when wave 2 comes around. :D The differences in damage are a little hard to tell, but I only wanted to spoil one of the rooms of my entry. And when I say damage, I mean lots of internal damage, so a T-IV ship might not look that bad from the outside and even look like a T-III, but the insides are gone and it's a husk.

Tier I
    TI's are totally pristine, fully functional ships/stations. What we have now basically. They are obviously the rarest (Should be made a bit rarer then they are now to account for the increase in the overall volume of ships being spawned in other tiers). Those ships need to have auto defenses to account for that it's essentially a free ship.

Tier II
    TII's are semi-incomplete ships with some minor damage. (Or moderately damaged complete ships.) Maybe excepting a hiccup in the conveyor system, and a unfinished thruster or two the ships core functions (thusters on all sides, all turrets still work, gravity, has power, etc..) are intact. They would be more common, about how often ships spawn now. These ships would make more sense to restore than scrap them. some of the more beat up cargo ships and rescue ship could qualify as this.

Tier III
    TIII's are moderately damaged incomplete ships (Or significantly damaged finished ships). Some of their core systems are down (missing many thrusters, may or may not have gravity, several breaks in the conveyor system, short on power, some (but not all) of the turrets are down, etc...) The ship is barley functional, and might even need some immediate maintenance to to fly correctly. And it looks like a few meteors got it too. (Tossing a small warhead yields a similar effect.) This ship should be about 50/50 between the effort to restore it versus scrapping it.

Tier IV
    TIV's are basically wrecks. No power, many of the ships utilities are destroyed, massive damage to the core structure, no doubt in the finders mind that it's only worth it to salvage. Also the most common tier since all you really will be getting is steel plates from these things and the loot from the few (if any) remaining cargo containers. These ships will be fairly common especially since they are harder to spot without a working antenna.

Ships in various states of damage would be really cool to have, as it gives the player something to do once they find it. Some ships could even be added only as TIII's and leave the player trying to guess what it originally looked like if they choose to fix it up.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 31, 2014
  2. Ulfsark Master Engineer

Seems like a reasonable request, especially since our starter ship is unfinished and damaged....

3. HollowVoices Trainee Engineer

+1

I've submitted some derelict ships with heavy damage for exploration. I'm really hoping they take a deep look into something like what you've posted.

4. WhiteWeasel Senior Engineer

Me too. I'm half tempted to PM this to them.

5. Leif_The_Head Apprentice Engineer

+1

There is no reason to scrap fully functional ships, we should have some wrecks floating around aswell (Finally a use to the recyclers!)

6. Krutchen Apprentice Engineer

One thing I'd love to do, actually, is make some outer "husk" with a fully operative ship inside, Just to lure players in to their demise. I'm totally going to make a few of those when we get scripting, damn son.

7. wmark Apprentice Engineer

Great idea :)

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.