1. The forum will be closing soon permanently. Please read the announcement here

Note: User registration has been closed. We do not accept any new accounts.

Factions/ NPC/ Ownership of objects/ hull breaches/ tractor beams/ decouplers

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by BruceBruce, Mar 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. BruceBruce

BruceBruce Trainee Engineer

I would like to see Factions and Ownership of objects very soon! I like the way Minecraft has their PVP set up. When you have a faction, you can declare war on other factions. But because of many time differences, Minecraft will give the opposite faction 24 hours before they become hostile and attack-able. But we would need dedicated servers with 32+ players.
    Also, I would like to see pressurized interiors! Being sucked out into space through a hull breach would be epic. This would be very crucial during an hail storm of asteroids or even a "sun" storm like high levels of radiation.

Tractor beams would be cool too! For example, towing another craft using landing gears has been a bit shady... I get nervous being that close to another object when in survival mode. Tractor beams can make towing easier from a distance. To make tractor beams rare, you would make it have many parts and burn large amounts of energy.

I play a lot Kerbal Space Program too... Kerbal is a rocket simulator, so you have many "look a-likes" of apollo style rockets. Decouplers are very crucial when trying to get into space in that game. But they also have many practical uses... carrying extra equipment, engines, living spaces, fuel, ect ect.
    Also, "docking" ports would be cool. In kerbal, they have many different types of docking ports.. these are magnetized just like the landing gears in Space Engies. If you could make a component to dock ships together in space without the use of a landing gear on the hull, it could make ship boarding and sharing easier. For example, many times Ive tried to land in a carrier I made in creative causes many bent blocks and hull breaches... the component would not be able to bend when another component hits it.

Lastly, NPC's or some sort of space monster/ faction to defend against would be awesome.

2. Leadfootslim

Leadfootslim Senior Engineer

This post belongs in the Suggestions forum. Also, pressurized interiors has been repeatedly vetoed by KSH because there's no fun reason to ever take off your space suit.

Also, as a point of note, Minecraft's factions system was a third-party mod because the devs are lazy pacifists.

3. One01011

One01011 Trainee Engineer

There is no reason to need to declare war. if someone sees a ship, they should be able to attack it, or let is pass without having any way of preventing them from making either choice. One of the coolest things about this game is emergent gameplay, so there's always that fear that the ship you see might not be friendly if you have no ongoing "wars"
    Solar winds and asteroid showers are being worked on, though there is no reason for anyone to ever want to take off their suit.

Landing gears, and good piloting.

No real reason for decouplers, but if you wanted to do something like that, use landing gears again

Landing in a carrier isn't hard at all. Also, NPCs/monsters/etc would be way unnecessary, as once dedicated servers are up, you'll have more than enough threats to keep you busy.

And yes, this belongs in suggestions

4. SOUTHPAWMIKE

SOUTHPAWMIKE Trainee Engineer

There's always roleplay, which is fun for some people, but admittedly would be a have amount of work for something that I suspect most people would never really care about.

5. SUPERNERD101

SUPERNERD101 Trainee Engineer

Wars would be necessary for the automated large ship weapons. There will also probably be an option to allow them to attack neutrals as well, but not everyone would want that setting on all the time (I know I wouldn't want to accidentally fire at someone's neutral battleship when I'm scouting in a light corvette :p). I doubt very much that ships won't take damage unless there's a war.

6. Leadfootslim

Leadfootslim Senior Engineer

As someone who's been on roleplaying servers for other games, I can say this:

You don't need to pretend to be an engineer in this game. You already are.

7. Ice Forge

Ice Forge Apprentice Engineer

Pressurized interiors would be neat to stop the energy usage inside a ship/station though...

8. TheEffectTheCause

TheEffectTheCause Apprentice Engineer

Make beacons faction oriented so enemy cant see your etc or script a mode where you can only the color of the faction

9. BruceBruce

BruceBruce Trainee Engineer

Ok, Ideas for the pressurized interior. You know how you have to "re-charge" your suit, they should make it to where you have to take it off and put it on the "recharge" rack... that way.. the engineer is exposed to the elements and is vulnerable for a certain amount of time. This would cause people to go on the defensive and look out for other players. Will post this in suggestions.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.