Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Favorite spots in the game

Discussion in 'General' started by Capt.SkuLL, Jun 17, 2020.

1. Capt.SkuLL Apprentice Engineer

This is my favorite spot in the whole planet. it has a nice view of the sunrise, and a frozen lake with a mountain to the right. this spot is up a hill you can build your homebase here with glass windows to see the view.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Soup Toaster Apprentice Engineer

Nice. I keep a list of GPS coordinates of all the especially cool places I've found. Every now and then you gotta just fly around a bit, have a little wander. There's lots of nice places to be found out there.

Heh, you better not ever put even one little dent in that lake, that flawless view will be ruined!

3. Capt.SkuLL Apprentice Engineer

haha i must have pressed F5 like a hundred times and this still is the only spot i appreciate ... i was hoping to find more.
    im very picky where to start a base.

4. Spaceman Spiff Senior Engineer

I thought long and hard about this question. Without a doubt, my favorite spots are on Mars, with Titan a close second. Those ore spots are sure easy to see.

Mars
    [​IMG]

Titan
    [​IMG]

5. Capt.SkuLL Apprentice Engineer

what
    what terrain features do you like here

6. Spaceman Spiff Senior Engineer

Oh! Terrain features. OK.

I like the deep craters on Mars. (I find Mars one the best new player planets because ore locations are so easy to spot, even on foot.) Other than that, Mars is a bit boring.

I'll cruise around the Earthlike and Alien planets, and post some "view" pics.

7. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

On Earthlike, I go for the deep and narrow canyons that have lots of wrinkles. You can camouflage a horizontal entrance to an underground base there. It's easy to miss the entrance due to all of the visual clutter nearby, shadows, etc.

8. Spaceman Spiff Senior Engineer

I'm 100% in agreement with you. I look not just for a place of beauty, but also a place that has a tactical advantage. Here's just such a place, first looking into the canyon, then from the far end looking out...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'd use my Skipjack Tunnel Master (https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2011770114) to punch an access tunnel into the mountainside, then two or three spaced warheads to open up a cavern for my base. This particular location is highly defensible because the forward sightline forces a singular approach from the front; approaching from other directions requires that an attacking force come in over the top of the high mountains and my defensive guns would put the smack-dab on them before they knew what hit them. Or so I say...

I usually play with lots of enemy NPCs, so I try to think about these things when I'm establishing the site for a base.

(In case anyone's interested, the GPS location for this canyon is 31998.64:-33378.7:39726.44:

• Like Like x 2
  9. Capt.SkuLL Apprentice Engineer

it looks beautiful. i don't think i have ever landed there. maybe a good spot to drill a gate inwards to the mountain i don't wanna touch the ice and break its beauty :<

10. Spaceman Spiff Senior Engineer

That's my thought. There's a cleft in the rock just behind the tree at the right in the second picture that would be a great place to punch inward for a base entrance.

11. BitsNoKibbles Apprentice Engineer

I created a new planet, has a good ore distro.... anyone know where the seed is in the sbc file?

12. Roxette Senior Engineer

Nowhere ^.^ ... it's right at the end of the planet definition in the .SBS :

<PlanetGenerator>EarthLike</PlanetGenerator>
    <Seed>450224716</Seed>
    </MyObjectBuilder_EntityBase>
    </SectorObjects>

... remember to delete the .sbsB5 file if you're editing the .SBS.

• Informative Informative x 1
  13. BitsNoKibbles Apprentice Engineer

Well, that was unexpected... seed is "0"

14. Roxette Senior Engineer

That is the default, and there's no option to change it when starting a game. If you change it manually on an existing world, the game will generate a new planet on start, and replace the existing planet in the world. If you do this when there are existing structures or ships on the planet, then expect problems with things suddenly being within the voxels or floating in the air (and possibly plummeting to their destruction). The original planet voxel file will remain in the world directory but will be ignored.

15. BitsNoKibbles Apprentice Engineer

The reason for my question: I created an empty world and manually spawned a planet... don't recall the seed... turns out there were some choice ore distributions in a couple of nice locations. Was interested in sharing but the coordinates would be kinda useless without the seed. So... I guess I was looking at the wrong save, or I managed to get a 0-seed world anyway.

Worth checking regardless... it's an ice lake with all the earth ores, and I scored a large asteroid almost directly above that had Pt and Ur. First time I ever had an "easy" start.

GPS:Mining Base #1:45720.15:35274.85:20266.92:

Similar site on the other side of the planet, I went there because a ground station spawned nearby:

GPS:Refueling Base #1:-23979.79:-53828.75:17042.07:

16. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

I generally play on servers. I should have clarified that. But I stay away from lakes as they are very attractive to people looking to load up on ice to fuel hydrogen tanks. Damaging lakes (even from accidents) is like inviting someone to scout around... and of course once that "Loading" decal pops up... they're going to give things a good searching.

I look for some place that isn't very remarkable. Some place another player would fly over and think "meh"... nothing interesting down there. I keep the entrances super small with no blocks visible.

17. j2redlive Trainee Engineer

18. Roxette Senior Engineer

Some people choose to see the ugliness in this world, the disarray. But you choose to see the beauty...

• Like Like x 1
  19. Spaceman Spiff Senior Engineer

Thank you. I certainly strive to see beauty over ugliness, regardless of the situation. And I laugh a lot...at myself...at situations...just in general. Having this overall life philosophy truly is a choice.

But...back to SE...my favorite planet is the alien planet because of its kaleidoscope of colors and rugged terrain. The sabroids are a big plus to me, too, because I like spider soup for a late-night snack. They're finger-lickin' good!

20. Calaban Junior Engineer

I have a few 'traditional' favorite spots, so recurrent in my single player play that Ive named them:

'Black Mesa'
    [​IMG]
    This is an old favorite landmark of mine- easily visible from orbit (so not a good setup spot for multiplayer, obviously). This makes it a good Orbital Descent target for a landing pad.
    It has a handy lake nearby, clearly visible ore deposit markers, and the canyons to the right have many box canyon easily defend-able pockets (I play assertive stations mod, so have drone attacks), and to the left begin hills with many boulders, and more lakes beyond.
    If you peer dead center at the cliff beyond the lake- you'll notice a gap- that leads to a nice circular crater/pit, that is also good for buildup with high walls all around. But I prefer the Mesa itself.
    By later stages of my single player worlds, this mesa is riddled with orbital rocket underground silos, storage vaults, Refinery stacks, Borg assembler cube arrays, printer bays, Grinder pits, fighter battlestar galactica style launch tubes, hangar doors leading to large interior parking/maintenance areas.. even a barnstorming tunnel straight through it just for occasional lols. By the time I'm 'done with it', its a real industrial powerhouse, and looks like a killer asteroid base lost on the surface of a world.

Yep. Black Mesa is more often than not my Home base when on Erf. It feels like home, every time I see it.

'Arathi Highlands'
    [​IMG]
    Sometimes I need a break, and a non- industrialized area for a nice vacation base is nice. I like this lake the most- has several islands and peninsulas to make bridges and transmitting towers on, and the view is nice arcing up to those Southern Hemisphere mountain walls.

Places like this is where I develop the non nuclear 'hippie stuff'- solar powered rovers, wind power farms, shining white and silver towers in the sun, etc. (the vacation/break from hard industrial buildup/processing), and try to make this place look rather Anno2070-ish. Its a nice change of pace, leaning towards style over substance here.

'Roadrunner Canyon'
    [​IMG]
    [dangit left UI on]
    This place is just FUN! I setup markers, make a few tunnels and ramps through the prominences, and have a blast either roaring around in a rover (trying hard not to say "meep meep"), setting up and trying sick jumps this way and that, or doing wild stunt flying amid/through those interesting bits with hard turns/climbs to avoid the cliff walls. The smooth ground and abrupt cliffs means driving is 'safe' at unreasonable speeds, with very few of those deadly 'tortured ground' patches to worry about. There is a lake also just over the views left shoulder, up at 'sea level', If I ever need ice.

Finally there are the planetary anomalies. Olympus Mons on Mars, Ice volcanoes on Titan. But my favorite is the

Europa Ice Spike
    [​IMG]
    On Europa (Mars moon in Clangs universe), there are 'fault lines'. Not canyons, but smaller, arrow straight lines running around the moon like cracks (more likely moon building voxel intersection errors). Where they converge (3 of them) is this spike, jutting about 30 large blocks up into the sky. So weird its utterly interesting, to me at least.

About perfect size for large grid impale sacrifices. Thus I call this thing 'Clang's toothpick'

Barring some Clang cult sacrificial temple, this spot would make for a great moon bar/hotel/truckstop, set spinning around the spike on a rotor for 'oh, wow' factor. This spot has a nice view of Mars, seen here, as well as of a distant Erf, so would be a great spot for a laser antenna grid link-up, if you ask me.

So, after seeing the sights, and reading my "ideas" with them, maybe you can see why I find it odd players say theres 'nothing to do' in this game. ...I honestly just dont get that mindset.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2020
  21. Spaceman Spiff Senior Engineer

It looks like you're trying to hitch a ride off that ball of ice!
    --- Automerge ---
    This here's an easy-start Alien planet spot. Yup, every planetary ore is available right in this-here lake. And it ain't hard on the eyes, neither. GPS:Alien All-Ores Lake:180200:150700:5761500:

[​IMG]

22. Calaban Junior Engineer

Oof that is hard on the eyes.

Thats not a lake of water ice, tho, thats a lake of sabiroid egg caviar

23. Spaceman Spiff Senior Engineer

T'ain't neither!

24. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

Sometimes I like getting a maneuverable large block ship together and then just doing canyon runs on Earthlike... skimming the floors and the walls... seeing what stunts I can get into. Mostly for the visuals. I have a GTX2080... so it's sweet.

25. Spaceman Spiff Senior Engineer

Just like Beggar's Canyon back home, right?

26. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

You crazy lil Womp Rat, you.

27. Spaceman Spiff Senior Engineer

I prefer to consider myself as a "scwewy wabbit (or, sometimes, a "wascawwy wabbit").

28. KissSh0t Master Engineer

It would be kinda cool if one of the planets had the track layout from The Phantom Menace built into the surface, you know... like the under through a cave, between a canyon, through large rocks... then players could race it haha.

not the buildings, just the track layout.. as a bit of a Easter egg :woot:

I love the sound design from this scene, it's just the best.