Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Film, animation, the faces of the characters in Space Engineers!

Discussion in 'General' started by lurilradras, Aug 6, 2018.

1. lurilradras Trainee Engineer

Welcome dear developers and engineers! I would like to Express my opinion about the lack of animation movements in the vanilla game and the faces of the characters. I think you know that some fans of the game shoot videos on the game, and not only but the series and even movies!
    My name is LurLemur and I'm making a fully cinematic universe series of Space Engineers. And I would be pleased if the possibilities of facial animations and character motion animations were expanded so that I could more accurately convey the emotions and character of the characters.
    Link to my channel and the series:
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC54Icv_QNwe3drA36EISOWA?view_as=subscriber
    https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLo4kSacLfRulagGOqnY0N0JG_LKj__tbC

Also if possible it would be great to ease the editor's cut-scenes, because I experienced difficulties in the study thereof.
    Thank you for your attention,
    And I wish you success in the development of your Studio games!

2. Stardriver907 Senior Engineer

3. Advercius Trainee Engineer

Actually, it doesn't seem very far-fetched IMO.
    Keen introduced the female character choice later in the game, and this took much more work then just facial features.
    I personally do not have a goatee and would love to see variety in face choice for SE characters.
    Heck, they could easily make some quick cash just by releasing a few DLC character customization packs.
    Goodness knows the community would buy it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. WraithLeader1 Apprentice Engineer

I would like to see a Skyrim type character design system, so that each player is unique.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Bullet_Force Apprentice Engineer

This would be a massive waste of the devs time considering how many important bugs and issues there are still remaining to be fixed.

• Agree Agree x 4
  6. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

Depends on the workload of the graphics team. Coding characters and character animations wouldn't fall under the workload of a network or physics coder.

7. dispair Apprentice Engineer

It comes down to fit. SE is a game about what you build so keen never cared about your faceless person. That came much later. A game like black desert is about your character and so has extensive character building.
    I spend much of my time flying a ship so the character is not important to me. If they expanded planet survival more I would really like to see more customization.

8. Burstar Apprentice Engineer

There are several mods that greatly improve the characters movement options. I don't use them because they break too often, but if you want to give the middle finger or point, or show your character accessing his PADD, you can currently.

I would like to see this in vanilla SE too. Nothing extreme. I don't need scars, or sliders to adjust skin roughness or glossiness. But I would like the ability to choose my face, hair and skin colour.

This will become more important now that good MP is a thing.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Stardriver907 Senior Engineer

Yeah, this started out as a single player game that was just about building. There are apparently people on Keen's staff that see the character as more of a building tool and less as an avatar in the game. The push from fans for multiplayer has caused Keen to rethink their player character philosophy, thus resulting in a female character that at one time was on Keen's "never happening" list.

Early on there was an animation mod that was very extensive, very popular, and was broken by an update in a matter of months. The Modder that made it left and is nowhere to be found, and can't really be blamed for that. It would be safer to create a mod now, but honestly Keen should provide some rudimentary customization because it's expected in online multiplayer games.

10. Malware Master Engineer

There's so many things I'd rather see Keen spend their limited resources on before anything like this ...

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. Stardriver907 Senior Engineer

i'd be down with this being a post-release feature

12. Spaceman Spiff Apprentice Engineer

Only if I can be Groot. I am Groot! I AM Groot! I am GROOT!!

13. doncdxx Apprentice Engineer

I like the idea of custom faces, but I'd probably put that under "immersion features" would should probably be the last patch before the game is considered done.

Immersion features like that are definitely important to some of us because the game is currently only what you build. Ideally the final game should be who you are, what you build, and what you do with what you build.