Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Fire damage

Discussion in 'Suggestions and Feedback' started by SilentShadow, Mar 13, 2017.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. SilentShadow Apprentice Engineer

I searched and only found a short 2 year old thread.

We already have the visual effects for functional blocks being on fire when damaged. I suggest that KSH implements a very slow fire damage to the block on fire and a lesser damage to adjacent blocks.

Putting out the fire stops additional damage. Though for gameplay reasons i don't think fire should injure the player or require air.

• Like Like x 1
  2. halipatsui Senior Engineer

I would also add extinguisher blocks and make fire+hydrogen=boom

Ps: good idea

3. odizzido Junior Engineer

Just throwing this out there....but everything we make is made of metal.....not sure how much damage things would take from fire....or even if they could really be on fire in the first place.

4. halipatsui Senior Engineer

JET FUEL CANT MELT STEEL BEAMS
    --- Automerge ---
    Im pretty sure many electrical instruments can catch fire.
    What should be tought of if thos system should only work on planets, where there is oxygen.

5. sioxernic Senior Engineer

The potential gain to gameplay is rather minimal to be honest.
    Also the fire effect has nothing to do with what happened to the block, they are damaged therefor on fire. You could poke a block until it starts burning, even in a vacuum.

6. SilentShadow Apprentice Engineer

Well, obviously armor wouldn't burn but could melt/deform. A number of blocks do burn in the current version. Armor for instance would take damage over time but not burn.

7. halipatsui Senior Engineer

I would like it because people would also have to design their ships for fire security

8. [flux] Trainee Engineer

Power is passed through armor blocks. Perhaps new conduit blocks could be implemented causing a whole new engineering challenge. But the power components of armor blocks could catch fire, intensify, and spread. Blocks that use power could potentially have more explosively ignitable components sending shrapnel and area damage.

Imagine your thruster taking more than a little damage and catching fire. You have to put it out eventually. More damage leeds to more fire and continually growing like this. Ignoring it causes it to explode. Perhaps turning the specific thruster block off puts out that fire. Turning on a damaged thruster eventually starts a small fire growing into a larger one. Thus needing some maintenance.

9. halipatsui Senior Engineer

Adding whole ne conductive block would force ships to be extremely bulky.

10. sioxernic Senior Engineer

Considering the current gameplay and the limitations of how to build... I just don't see the benefit of this addition. Fire is usually a good hazard if all the blocks aren't destructible... Also no one going to address the realism of fire in space?
    It is a non-issue to even fix, depressurize ship = Done.

11. halipatsui Senior Engineer

On planets as i proposed earlier?
    There it could bring new kind of hazar to stations that dont usually suffer from kinetic problems (crashing etc) like ships do.
    Some planets lso have oxygen.

12. [flux] Trainee Engineer

Electrical arcing happens in space. And if plasma is a power source then that is essentialy fire.

Also just power usage blocks could pose a fire and explosion hazzard.

13. sioxernic Senior Engineer

Even in that case, you introduce a new system that will further put a strain on CPU (even when there is no fire, it still adds more checks to the engine) for a feature that is mostly not even going to come into the play with where the main focus of the game should be (space)
    --- Automerge ---
    Plasma is not really a power source unless we start talking about Fusion.
    And no in a vacuum it would not pose either a fire or explosion hazard. Explosions and Fire require an oxidizer. That's a physical law that cannot really be circumvented. Explosions... I mean a pressure explosion mayhaps.
    If anything the biggest issue would just be plain ol' overheating and melting of your equipment but fire and explosions are not really a hazard in vacuums.

14. [flux] Trainee Engineer

How do you underwater explosions work? And electrical arcing and melt down causing shrapnel can't be a form of damage.
    Fire might not happen in space but the release of chemical energy, electrical energy, and other energy such as plasma is totally possible. Explosions do not mean fire, explosions mean particles accelerating at exponential rate.

15. SilentShadow Apprentice Engineer

If we are going to say fire requires oxygen then KSH shouldn't let turrets and such burn in space, let alone have flames trailing.

Preferably light armor would be highly resistant to fire.

16. Bumber Senior Engineer

In other words, just don't use the oxygen pressurize feature on your ships.

17. halipatsui Senior Engineer

I meant possible extinguisher blocks and possible spacing onsidering rules how fire works. But why not emergency depressurization

18. sioxernic Senior Engineer

I don't care that they do it as a visual considering it is just an indicator of damage.

19. Syncaidius Junior Engineer

Personally, I'd be happy if they just made burning blocks lightly damage players that walk near by. Same goes for damaged reactors with radiation leaks if you're not wearing a helmet (since your suit protects from space/sun radiation once sealed anyway).

Nothing too fancy. :)

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.