Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. Hello Guest!
    Welcome to the Bug Report forum, please make sure you search for your problem before posting here. If you post a duplicate (that you post the same issue while other people have already done that before) you will be given a warning point which can eventually lead into account limitations !

Here you can find a guide on how to post a good bug report thread.
    Space Engineers version --- Medieval Engineers version
  2. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Firewall locks down on server browser

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by Duke_of_frags, Apr 12, 2018.

1. Duke_of_frags Trainee Engineer

Reproduction Rate: 10 out of 10
    Affected Version: 1.186.500
    Reproduction steps:
    1) Check internet is connected
    2) Run space engineers
    3) Click join game
    4) Observe as the server list is populating the firewall locks down over and over. (the server list will periodically stop populating during this if you try to load web pages they will not load)
    5) Close space engineers
    6) Check security log to see multiple "suspicious incoming network connections"

Observed behavior:
    Whilst in the server browser screen my firewall locks down over and over. After viewing the security log in my firewall I can see that It is locking down due to what It describes as "Suspicious incoming network connections" If I have a program that alerts me to an internet connection disconnect/reconnect via audio such as discord. I can hear that it is doing so coinciding with the server list populating. The server list also briefly stops populating each time that my firewall locks down.

Expected behavior:
    The server browser should populate without causing my firewall package to go berserk and presumably should not be receiving incoming tcp connections other than from the server list itself, until a server is joined.

Additional Information:
    Firewall: Mcaffe (BT virus protect)

When I view these in more detail I can see that they are various incoming TCP connections coming from multiple different IP addresses and ports. When I have reverse looked up these IP addresses they appear to be mostly home internet and server hosting addresses.

I am reluctant to believe that my firewall is being "overzealous" as this does not occur on any other games or software that I own, Including Medieval Engineers which has a very similar server browser setup.

2. mojomann71 Junior Engineer

3. Duke_of_frags Trainee Engineer

Cheers for the reply mojomann71! Unfortunately checking my port forwarding was the first thing that I did. I have also tested the ports that were on the security log with other games and they work correctly.
    Only thing I can think of that is making my firewall consider them as "suspicious" is perhaps because it is being bombarded by many connections from different IPs and ports all at once maybe?
    That or there is an unfortunate security hole in the game browser (not that I am suggesting that the incoming connections were malicious but perhaps they have the potential to be?). Still it seems more likely to be something trivial to me. Either way I still think that the issue is to do with the functionality of the server browser.
    I suppose it could also be something about how space engineers behaves that is flagging up a false positive with mcaffe, but I would have thought that it would have quarantined the whole thing if that were the case.

If I am able to I will try to install it on my sisters PC and see what results I get. She has the same security package as me so it should be interesting to see if hers does the same.