Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

(First ever?) Space Monorail

Discussion in 'Community Creations' started by Dominhiho, Oct 23, 2013.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Dominhiho Trainee Engineer

Hello!

I've been experimenting in SE the last week or so, thinking of how I could make some form of monorail.
    Each time I made a design it failed, mainly due to the fact I was using light armor blocks as a form of 'clamp' which never worked because the engine's physics kept freezing the ship as it moved along and it occasionally broke up.

Alas, I never thought about landing gear. I assumed it would be the same thing but apparently landing gear can slide across objects with ease and at a significant speed without breaking up.
    So, I spent my spare time over the last 2 - 3 days perfecting this thing and it's pretty damn cool.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sorry for the huge screenshots. Here's the rest.
    This thing can accelerate up to about 32m/s before hitting the black and yellow markers on the opposite end of the rail at which point you can easily let go of the key and it'll slowly halt to a stop at the end of the line.
    I haven't figured out the max speed it can go at before it starts breaking yet, but I know accelerating too fast can knock the rotation of the ship so much so that it disintegrates upon touching the rail at relatively low speeds.
    It's the reason why there are only a total of 12 small engines on either side.
    It doesn't have gyros to avoid the pilot rotating into the rail by accident.

If anybody is interested I can make a video of it working.

Thanks for reading!

2. Kane Junior Engineer

Such a very cool idea and looks fun. Really nice job and great idea!

3. Eris Trainee Engineer

I would love to see a Video of this thing in Action!
    (and also reach above Max speed , Just to see the Fireworks :p)

4. Tazoo Trainee Engineer

Very cool, looks like alot like DbBurnzy's elevator and monorail concept :)

5. Dominhiho Trainee Engineer

I did actually see some of his stuff. I liked the way he used ramps on one of his elevators to avoid damage. Pretty clever considering they can't be deformed like the armor or interior blocks, at least I don't think they can.
    I haven't seen a monorail concept of his though.

I'm gonna make one now, will try and make the rail longer so I can test the speed a bit more, it's going to take a while though :)

Thanks a bunch!

6. OMGTheMuffinMan Moderator

I like the idea. A few days after the pre-release, someone made a monorail, but it was very very basic. Nothing as detailed as what you have shown here. I want to see more of it. :3

7. Doctor Ragnarok Trainee Engineer

It's things like this that really bring potential forward. I've not spent enough time to check yet myself, but I wonder if something like this would be feasible in say a ship instead of a station? I can already see people going to great length for epic size ships, and some sort of on-board fast travel would be brilliant.

8. Dominhiho Trainee Engineer

Ignore the fact I sort of crashed it at the end. Got a bit overzealous trying to make it come to a perfect stop right at the end.
    Currently trying to make platforms and stations at either end so there'll be some actual use for this thing.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.