Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

First Fighter - WIP

Discussion in 'Community Creations' started by Graewerld, Mar 24, 2017.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Graewerld Trainee Engineer

My first attempt at composing a stealthy fighter - all vanilla.

2. Graewerld Trainee Engineer

More thrusters added and flight worthy.

3. Yeoman Trainee Engineer

Looks like it's making progress. I remember my first fighter. Took forever to get it the way I wanted it. I keep the blueprint around for nostalgia.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Graewerld Trainee Engineer

Yes, I am not happy with it yet. I want to finish the topside BUT not cover the access, and to figure some way to extend the sides without making them "wings". I will take another screenshot showing the firepower in the front that is practically encased.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2017
  5. Graewerld Trainee Engineer

I just noticed that the landing pad (cyan colored) is off center. Gonna have to fix that.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2017
  6. SilentShadow Apprentice Engineer

No forward camera?

7. Graewerld Trainee Engineer

Still making adjustments. Revamping the area above and behind the cockpit - fore and aft cameras to be included, but thanks for the mention. :tu:

8. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

The backwards/reverse thruster behind the connector up top looks like it's pointed right at it. The connector will burn if thruster damage is on.

Also the connector sits lower than the adjacent small blocks. This might be an issue when docking. It's better to have the connector protrude one small block height or at least be flush with the hull for 3-4 blocks in every direction. When connectors lock those armor blocks might cause an explosive collision tearing your ship in half.

You may also want to copy and paste the ship and try deleting some of the lateral thrusters you have. Lateral thrust is good. But it's just more dead weight for you to deal with when accelerating forwards or backwards. Sometimes the amount of lateral thrust gained isn't worth the increase in mass. Don't be afraid to experiment with the number of thrusters AND gyroscopes in the build. I used to overload my small fighters with an excessive amount of gyros so I could rotate quickly. I found they were overkill as the game sets a hard limit on the maximum rotation speed. Once the furthest block from the center of gravity hits that speed, you won't turn any faster.

9. Graewerld Trainee Engineer

Duly noted. I had already taken her on an initial flight and suffered no damage (previous save), but I am still in 'creative' mode.

I had put the 8x8 port and starboard thrusters on to facilitate a better evasive maneuvering capability. So you're saying this may be 'overkill'?

Last edited: Apr 4, 2017
  10. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

Check your saved game settings and see if thruster damage is on or off.

The trick to a nimble fighter is keeping the mass low. Every bit of extra mass costs you acceleration in any direction. A fighter that can corner quickly is nice. However, to do so means that you're going to slow down... a LOT. If accelerating back up to speed takes too long, then you'll be a sitting duck if you're in range of an AI turret.

While you are testing, try mashing down the W, A, and spacebar at the same time. This will turn on your thrusters in three directions. That's a great way of testing out your maximum power draw. If you're overloading, your performance is going to majorly drop. You'll have to add more reactors or batteries... or remove some thrusters.

When you have the fighter to where it handles how you like it, be sure to add uranium to the reactors and load up on rockets, gatling ammo, oxygen, ice, etc. Blue print it and paste it into a survival world. Then take on some turrets and/or drones. To evade turret fire, you have to constantly change direction to throw off the turret's predictions of where you're going to be and attack in small bursts between evading.

Well, this is if you're planning to use the fighter for survival. Some people just like building things to look nice... which is cool too. It just depends what you're going for.

11. Graewerld Trainee Engineer

Sage advice for this novice padawan.

Looking to try both - something that looks good but still functional.
    Back to the drawing board, well, some tweaks at least!
    --- Automerge ---

Seems that I already had Thruster Damage selected. Who knew? So I tried it after adding some more blocks. Still more bench-testing to do.

12. SilentShadow Apprentice Engineer

Looks nice. If you have space consider adding a pb and timer to run Whip's weapon sequencer. Rockets fired at once do less damage than I quick succession. Seems the explosion detonates rockets before impact

Last edited: Apr 5, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Graewerld Trainee Engineer

pb?

Never mind. Programmable Block.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2017
  14. Graewerld Trainee Engineer

It flew at 100m/s and maintained that speed through the test.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2017
  15. Graewerld Trainee Engineer

Took your suggestion to heart and totally revamped the backend without affecting power and maneuverability.

16. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

"She's boxy... but she's good in a scrap!"

Cool. Now some analyse. This isn't criticizing your design, nor am I saying to change it.

However, if you group all of your thrusters together, they are much easier to take out. One missile strike and you'll lose all of your thrusters on that side. Of course, the space savings may justify the vulnerability.

Another factor is that almost everything is located behind your cockpit or dead in front of it. When engaging turrets, that means almost everything it locks on to is directly in front or behind your cockpit. Again, that may or may not be an issue depending on your tactics and piloting abilities.

17. Graewerld Trainee Engineer

Again, any comment is welcome as I'm still on a big learning curve and I don't want to "copy" what others have already done.

I have a couple more designs in mind to try out, so I might shelf this one for a bit. I have read many a rant on some of the block designs and now understand why - I get to wanting something that I want to curve a certain way or fill a corner better than with what is available while still staying 'vanilla'.

18. Yeoman Trainee Engineer

Creating interesting curves can be quite difficult. There are however lots of cool things you can do with the 2x1 slopes. Don't be afraid to mix your curves with sharp edges. A drastic change in the right place can be quite asthetically pleasing.

• Like Like x 1
  19. carnivore Apprentice Engineer

Man, this brings back memories... Enjoy the learning process. It is one of my favorite parts of the game. Take what you've learned that works from this ship and try and fix what doesn't on the next one. Repeat about 10 or so times and you aught to be able to build a very capable fighter.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

Totally get it. So I'm tempering my advice as just points to ponder. There's no "great" fighter design. Only fighters with certain attributes or lacking others. As you progress you'll probably start adding things like firing sequencers, lcd panels for status on crucial systems, etc. There's a lot of scripting available in the workshop and you'll probably wade in there shortly as your imagination and talent grows as well as your knowledge of the game does. Always experiment... how many gyros does it take to make a difference? Should you balance your thrusters in every direction or have one side that's utterly dominant? Is the cockpit better in the front or the back? There are tons of options and everyone has their own needs and tastes.

The one thing to always remember is that everything you add to your fighter adds mass. The more mass the lower the performance of gyroscopes and thrusters.

21. Graewerld Trainee Engineer

Thanks everyone for the comments. Nothing will be ignored. Except maybe a camera.

22. Forcedminer Senior Engineer

camera does allow you to zoom in and scout a target before attacking. maybe note weak or vulnerable points. they get destroyed easily but can at least give you some vital info before you go into a fight...like how many turrets bot rocket and bullet if they're only using like 1 large thruster in that case lol attack that. or to locate an antenna...important parts.

i remember my first fighter as well. took some screenshots
    the thing looked like a steam locomotive train
    it was heavily armored at the front with 3 layers facing the front and a shell around it.
    to attempt to protect the pilot..
    i had two additional gattling turrets on the sides and a few cameras camera mounted on front...usually the first things to go in battle. :p

as you can plainly see...i don't go for style.....i don't see the point of it in survival.
    also i don't leave the cockpit exposed.....
    [​IMG]
    I was proud of the little bugger i was able to capture the pirate ship below with it.
    [​IMG]

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.