Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

First impressions from a new user...

Discussion in 'General' started by MaverickSawyer, Mar 10, 2014.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. MaverickSawyer Trainee Engineer

Hello, everyone. Just got Space Engineers on Friday, and have been thoroughly enjoying myself since. All in all, a nice game.

However, there are a few things that continue to pester me like annoying mosquitoes, refusing to let me have a totally enjoyable time...
    - Objects: I can understand only having asteroids at this point, but can we have more of them? PLEASE?????
    -Ores: There is a type of rock in the asteroids that's blue, and seems to have rings of some sort of mineral in it. I hit it with the hand drill, but it doesn't kick anything loose. Anyone know what this stuff is?
    -Ore collection: I admire the fact that the developers managed to make the ore rocks drift off after you knock them loose with the hand drill... but is there any way that they could add a "harvester" to it, that you just hold down on the T key to suck up everything it knocks loose, instead of the present rate of about 25% for collection while digging?

Otherwise, it's a fantastic game, and I can't wait to see where it goes from here.

Cheers,
    MaverickSawyer

2. bacondeity Apprentice Engineer

First and foremost. Alpha. Not even beta.

The game will only have asteroids as far as I'm concerned, as it follows the Miner Wars lore. As far as I remember. Unfortunately there are only limited amounts of asteroids at the moment, because alpha. In due time we will have more and more, and correct me if I'm wrong, gentlemen, it'll be procedurally generated.

Not all ores are implemented yet. A lot of the game isn't even implemented yet. Once again, alpha.

Well, to collect ore besides clicking on them... Well, this being space engineers, you should engineer your own solution lol. Lots of people make a bucket with a grav Gen to suck all the rocks into them. The more powerful and complex tools seem to collect more materials as they mine. It's entirely possible for them to add a collector block or something in due time.

Once again, complaints are useless for a game that's in alpha. Suggestions are the only things that will fly around here instead. Speaking of which, if you have any suggestions, post them in the giant suggestions thread. And please use the search function to see if your suggestion has been suggested before. And don't forget, it's in alpha, the game has lots and lots of leaps and bounds to tackle.

3. Vermillion Senior Engineer

The blue ore is Helium Ore. It doesn't drop anything and afaik, will be removed or disabled in newer versions. Or until it gets a use, there's currently no way to store or transport gaseous helium and no machine that could use it for anything.

4. Lancar Senior Engineer

Also, just to finish this off... :) Those things have all been suggested, or asked about, before. Especially nr 2 and 3.

5. Stonewolf Junior Engineer

We need balloons! No? How about just clowns, No wait we already have those :D

(Just to be clear, in not accusing anyone clowning around the forums. Balloons was the only use I could think of helium, and clowns go with balloons, yes.)

6. Leadfootslim Senior Engineer

Welcome to the forums! As the others have stated, alpha means some of the rough edges still need hashing out - asteroid count is likely to increase, for sure.

Gravity buckets are very useful. Give it a try!

7. Carrion Senior Engineer

Helium has multiple industrial uses. also it is possible to store it. its just not possible to store it perminatly as it escapes. Divers use it for trimix as it is less narcotic and a faster gas than nitrogen in human tissues so you dont get all squirrerly at depth.

8. Paracelse Alchemist Trainee Engineer

Helium is used in chemical reaction. It could be used if they add a chemistry side to this game so we could play with atomic element and improve material to react another way. If they base the system on the real rule it could even come to a point were a player could be creating new molecule while trying to achieve mastery component for is ship or station. Engineering include a lot of field that are waiting to be included in this game.
    This game has down the road a potencial to be a learning tool for futur engineer.

9. MaverickSawyer Trainee Engineer

My apologies if it came across as complaints; I did not intend that.

As for the gravity buckets, I'll have to try that. I've been applying gravity to the asteroid simply to keep the rocks from floating away into space! :rof:

As for the helium ore, now that I know it's useless for the time being, it's time to use it for target practice.

Again, I apologize for coming across as complaining; I didn't realize that this was still considered alpha. Seems I need to refresh my memory of the differences between alpha and beta! :)

10. Barabbi_Moonshadow Trainee Engineer

Maverick:

The solution I use for this is a simple one, built from a "corporate roleplaying" perspective.

If you, as a mining company, were to begin mining an asteroid that was in a near constant orbit (stationary like in SE), the first thing you would do would be to build a remote base on the asteroid. On that asteroid, you would have the capability (if cost effective) to house the small staff, build the ore separator (refinery), etc. Furthermore, ... from an automated perspective... , you would dig directly under (or nearby) your remote base for said ore. Therefore...

1. Pick a large asteroid to dig into.
    2. Build a small admin building with either an outside storage, refinery, and assembler... or a separate "industrial" building / platform.
    3. Under the platform/industrial building, use gravity to bring all of the rocks directly up the mining shaft to you. (Remember, you can use light armor blocks... or even better, interior wall blocks that glow... to simulate a "power" cable to build subsequent gravity "lifters" deeper into the asteroid.)

Just remember: Your world was created with a maximum number of small floating objects limit.

11. Barrio575 Apprentice Engineer

Welcome to the SE Community :)

12. Vermillion Senior Engineer

Yeah, because we have those things in the game. Use your head, man.
    ofc, helium has real-world uses, but this is Space Engineers. We have no means to store it in-game in a gaseous form and nothing that uses it and would require an entirely new set of machines to work with it.

@Paracelse: Helium is an inert gas. It does not react with anything.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.