Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Fix the changes to missiles?

Discussion in 'Suggestions and Feedback' started by M1_Abrams, Jun 7, 2018.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. M1_Abrams Trainee Engineer

So I was informed in another thread that 1.186 changed how missiles (explosions) work. They now impart momentum on their targets in some nonlinear way, but the method is quite flawed for very heavy ship designs, so much so that I (and others) thought it was a bug originally.

The problem is that this change completely killed large-ship combat. Large ships are less agile by nature, because they need tons of gyros and thrusters, so they rely on heavy armaments instead to bulldoze through the enemy. But because missiles now accelerate even the largest of ships to 100 m/s in no time flat, in addition to causing heavy amounts of roll, it's impossible to even pilot a large ship if you're being fired on by missiles. The enemy just flings you away and proceeds to destroy you while you're helplessly out of control. (For some scale, I'm talking heavy armor ships in the 2.5+ mil kg range, getting hit by only ~20 missile turrets).

With small ships this isn't as big of a problem because 1) they aren't getting hit with as many missiles at one time, and 2) they are able to accelerate much quicker to counteract the momentum from the explosion.

I suppose in theory I could combat this problem by throwing like 5x more thrusters on my large ships, but that's really impractical. Am I the only one who has a problem with this? I'll shut up then.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Cyborg_Leopard Trainee Engineer

Had some rather funny incidents with this. Granted I was using PMW's but I sent a 20 mil kg ship flying from 0-100 and spinning at about 60rpm with a 3x3 block of small warheads and some hydrogen thrusters... right at my much more modest ship which it annihilated on impact.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.