Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Fixed wheel as bumpers- better option?

Discussion in 'General' started by Calaban, Oct 29, 2017.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Calaban Junior Engineer

Lately on my mining ships I've added "tunnel bumpers" of 3x3 wheels on the sides to "take the hit" as my miner bumps around in asteroid tunnels and while buzzing around looking for ore.

The idea is that the wheel seems pretty tough and.. um.. rubbery (its more of a hunch than actual data) and adds a bit of a "5 mile an hour bumper" to protect the ships sensitive thrusters and cargo containers.

But, since it is a hunch, I wonder if its actually worth bothering with. Are blast door rails really better? They seem to "spear inwards" when they take a hit, destroying what i was trying to protect in a collision, and i feel that wheels will just go "poof" and take the sacrificial hit for the betterment of the ship.

Ive learned from earlier crash tests that air vents are the toughest things in a collision (they always survive), but lining the top/bottom/sides with air vents or blast doors gets things very, very heavy. Wheels seem like a lightweight option.

I guess time and bumping will tell the tale. What do you guys think? I'll post my "burrow beetle" mining ship in a bit so you guys can test it if you like, just so we all know what context we are talking about.

2. Spets Master Engineer

yeah, they work pretty well as bumpers

3. halipatsui Senior Engineer

Confirming what spets said.
    Wheels in this game are the ultimate shock absorber.

--- Automerge ---
    I have seen enough hentai to know where this is going

4. Forcedminer Senior Engineer

ok who gave dr octopus a copy of space engineers?
    really i want to know if we can power those wheels we'll have mechanical tentacles

EDIT: sorry image was really big my bad.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2017
  5. Carrion Senior Engineer

what the Op is propising is actually engineering a solution. Well done sir.

i personally make the hole bigger so the ship fits better. or even better sit the ship outside and reach into it

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.