Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Fleet Command MKII, Vanilla Real Time Strategy Gaming In SE [Released!]

Discussion in 'General' started by Rdav, Jul 26, 2017.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Forcedminer Senior Engineer

then a player will make a swarm of simple turret and rocket drones.
    easy to take out...annoying as hell because they attack in swarms.

it would be like the CIS B1 battle drones but in ship form...roger roger

2. PLPM Junior Engineer

It doesn`t have a reason for no to.
    Otherwise the "out of ammo" string would not be pulled.

3. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

Once this is done, couldn't the Fleet Command processing be allocated to the client computer through a mod block? I think one of the radar mods was set up this way. Being able to do this in vanilla is cool, but you're right. You could choke out a server with a decent sized fleet. But if the processing was done on the client side, then the limitations surrounding the command protocol would be offloaded. Granted the physics and collisions etc would still be on the server.

4. Rdav Apprentice Engineer

Just like to apologize for some of the radio silence this month regarding the project, recently I've had quite a lot on my plate taking many of the features and AI's of fleet command through beta-testing with a team of testers I've gathered together.
    To keep people less in the dark about the projects current progress I've updated the main page with a Dev-timelog of sorts showing things I still need to do and how much time I've already spent on things.

People will be glad to know that the code has been tested multiple times in multiplayer (I actually bought a server with the sole purpose of facilitating testing) and that the Turret-based UI has been refined some more, now using instead of clicking (using ammo and firing in creative) the code now uses space as a mouse 'click' this was also found to be a lot more responsive in multiplayer.
    Along with so many improvements around the board on the AI's, the testers learned to fear the interceptor drones, as combined with some clever tactical decisions they were absolutely devastating, requiring very clever flying and powerful craft to beat them in a dogfight, and I'm really looking forward to seeing people absolutely devastate the field with them!
    Also the frigate AI's got some serious love, all the player-made weapons frigates are now brutally effective too, pretty much every large ship they faced was smashed to pieces unless countered effectively, and all the standard-class frigates now have automatically sequenced weapon fire built into the code and clever aggression tactics.

Anyway, the code is once again nearing completion, with today the fleet-command modules being built up!
    Soon to be beginning is the final testing phase where my testing team will get access to the paste&go modules and I'll run through some final bugfixes and polishing, I'll try to keep everyone posted!

Last edited: Aug 29, 2017
    • Like Like x 3
  5. Crusader Apprentice Engineer

Homeworld in Space Engineers.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. FlakMagnet Senior Engineer

Hell ...no apology necessary! You are doing this in your own time for no pay.....It's enough for me that you are doing this wonderful thing at all!

On top of that...you are adding something that Keen should have added IMHO, that will make single player potentially a LOT more interesting, and will make multiplayer potentially a very different animal too. Keep it up!

Space Engineers NEEDS this :)

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Rdav Apprentice Engineer

Let's get the hype train rolling! I've made a short tech-demo for the code to show a few of the features, wish I could have gone into more detail but alas, I didn't want to force people to sit through anything more than five minutes! more to come soon^tm, let me know what you think!
    Showed it off using the LCD UI here, but the turret UI is personally the one I prefer :p

• Like Like x 11
  8. FlakMagnet Senior Engineer

Hype building .......

9. carnivore Apprentice Engineer

Dude, this is even more amazing than the original. I'm hyped as balls for this.

10. SpecFrigateBLK3 Senior Engineer

How much survival testing has been done? Or within planetary gravity? This looks like it would be invaluable for any kind of game, but especially for a single player in any kind of hostile environment.

11. halipatsui Senior Engineer

Too bad keen has not yet provided us with a enemy that would require a fleet to take down :/

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. Arcturus Senior Engineer

I'd love to be able to send a swarm of drones to attack a target in a wall formation, especially if the wall had drone fighter/interceptors spaced out every 15 m (perpendicular to the enemy) and was 3D-curved towards the enemy (with radius 800-1000 m) so all drones can open fire at the same time. If you attack in a column like in the video, enemy return fire which misses a lead drone (perhaps due to evasion or dispersion) can hit the one behind it in the column. A spaced out wall causes any enemy shots that miss to be harmless, and maximizes your firepower on target.

13. Rdav Apprentice Engineer

A fair bit in survival to check the AI's work as they should, not so much in planetary gravity, why not in gravity? partially because gravity is complicated, partially because I never play the game with planets because I don't like them, however worth mentioning they should maintain high altitude operation fine, and because a lot of people have requested it, I DO have a gravity-safe variant in the works.

They should attack in a stacked line abreast formation currently, so sort of a wall, although with the flexibility of the command system you can kind of hash together formations of your own preferred style using some micro

• Like Like x 1
  14. chrisb Senior Engineer

I see you've had a response from Marek on your video.. Maybe you'll get a call soon. ;)

15. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

Hopefully, Marek puts his money where his mouth is. The ability to command fleets in SE equates to more game sales. It might be an unpopular thing to say, but if official Fleet Command was an add-on to SE (you pay for the add-on and you get fleet command) it would generate game sales as well as additional revenue to finish or further refine SE.

I'd pay $10 for a fleet command add-on that used client-side processing to save the taxing the server.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. PLPM Junior Engineer

Screw planets, this changes EVERYTHING :D:p

• Like Like x 1
  17. Dax23333 Junior Engineer

I am ao hyped for this! First version was great, this only looks better!

18. BlackScythe Apprentice Engineer

since i read this awesome thread i restarted my Battlestar Project :) can't wait anymore!

19. Rdav Apprentice Engineer

To let everyone know, Finally, after a year and a half of working the release date is set! After an eternity of delays and issues, I've finally got to a point I'm happy to release fleet command, and so I've set release for 8:00 pm GMT+0 today, get hype everyone!

• Like Like x 7
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
  20. halipatsui Senior Engineer

What will you do next?

21. zopzodeman Trainee Engineer

YAY!

what functions will be in the release?or did you complete everything?

22. Rdav Apprentice Engineer

Most functions in place on release, everything on the first post is implemented and working, only things I still have to work on are the autominers & assemblers and the planetary operation variant,
    --- Automerge ---
    It's here everyone!! Go nuts

A year in the works, very excited to release it!

• Like Like x 3
  23. Scya Apprentice Engineer

A new god has arise! Klang is no more the only god in SE... Now we have the good One as well!

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. FlakMagnet Senior Engineer

25. SpecFrigateBLK3 Senior Engineer

*insert hype here*

26. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

Awesome! Saw the note about the HUD LCD not working in multiplayer. AwwwwwwWWWwww...

Is a tutorial for turret guidance coming shortly?

27. Rdav Apprentice Engineer

Yeah will be hopefully up within an hour or two, was sick as a dog last night so I couldn't get round to it yesterday :p The LCD HUD doesn't not work so much as it eats up bandwidth like no tomorrow, it requires some optimization shenanigans on keens end, however to my knowledge the important fixes are there, just still waiting to go through QA and implemented.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2017
  28. Dax23333 Junior Engineer

Only managed to get one drone ship going at the moment but this is looking great! Can't seem to get enemy ships (or anything other than the fleet) to show up in the UI though, like they did in one of your trailers. Given I can see the enemy from the command ship, by a beacon on it or antenna or visual or something, how can I get it to show up on the UI so the fleet can go kill it? Currently my fleet consists of 1 drone ship, a gravity frigate, which does have cameras on it. Does the command ship also need cameras?

Edit: I see you've updated the steam page with how to get enemies, very helpful.

Also, does the gravity frigate AI know how often it takes to reload its gun? The one i've put it in is an ore cannon firing a ball of stones, and has quite a long firing cycle as it fills the chamber, adjusts containment gravity and finally fires. If it gets triggered again before this it would not work properly. Turn of firing timer block until it is ready to shoot again?

Last edited: Oct 10, 2017
  29. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

Once you've happy with the results, could you possibly turn it into a mod that uses computational power on the client side rather than the server? If so, that would mean less server degradation from a big battle.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.