Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Flexible respawn ship layout

Discussion in 'Suggestions and Feedback' started by Enigmus, Dec 18, 2016.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Enigmus Trainee Engineer

Most of us are familiar with the default re-spawn ships. In most cases we general modify them to suit our play style. I suggest that the server implement block limits for starter ships and allow you to spawn any of your blueprints that match the criteria.

IE - Start up ships can only have 1x Control Panel, 1x refinery, 1x Assembler, 1x oxygen generator, 12x small thrusters, 1x Small cargo, and 20 armor blocks...etc. Any blueprint that matches those block limits you could spawn into.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. DDP-158 Master Engineer

You can do this yourself with a little lesson and learning.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=311423213

This is a little tutorial for installing your own starter ships. Create the ship, export it, find the sbc file, make it a mod, then add it to the list of starter ships. It's explained in detail in that tutorial.

3. Enigmus Trainee Engineer

Yes, I am aware of that ability. That would still make starting each game with a fixed list of static starter ships. They would just be different ships from the stock game starter ships. I am talking about creating a framework that allows server administrators to create boundaries for players to use their own blueprints as starter ships.

Thank you for your input.

4. Me 10 Jin Apprentice Engineer

What's to stop a player using a blueprint that's pre-loaded with valuable ingots or components? Would the ship's inventory be wiped? If so, would all reactor-powered spawn ships just be dead in the water without possibility of refining some U to get started?

For such a framework to serve its intended purpose, it would need to place hard limits on the aggregate component count for all blocks and block inventories. This means divesting overages (removing excessive components from inventories and blocks) and refunding shortfalls into the ship's cargo blocks (probably in the form of ingots, with uranium getting deposited into reactors if present).

While this seems technically feasible, I don't think it would yield sufficient fun value. Really, how often do players respawn in a new ship? Is it that onerous to reconfigure a vanilla spawn ship?

5. Enigmus Trainee Engineer

A valid point for starter cargo limits, and I agree that some sort of cargo management would be feasible and therefore not much an issue as it is an addendum to my existing suggestion.

With the current iteration for the game I would venture that it happens fairly often. :)

On a more practical note, even if (when) the game is stabilized there will be events that cause the player to lose their entire respawn ship essentially forcing a restart. From personal experience it take me an hour or more to reconfigure my respawn ship into something useful. Perhaps you do not do heavy modification to your ship or perhaps you play on servers with higher work speed and cargo capacity. Either way, should that be a reason to stop those of us who would like both a custom and a balance start mod-free? It doesn't detract from those who prefer the stock ships in any way that I can see.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2017
  6. Stormigedon Trainee Engineer

Personally I think this is a great idea, it lets each player have a bit of creativity with there respawns and it's not hard to implement. Respawn ships can have a configurable block limit, and the inventory can be solved by not loading the blueprints inventory and instead using a predefined start inventory (these items are placed in the first container found on the ship, and X uranium is placed in the first reactor). Good of idea, I give it two bananas out of orange

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.