Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Flight physics?

Discussion in 'General' started by DBRLZ, Sep 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. DBRLZ Trainee Engineer

Well I have to say I am pretty excited with what I have seen. The video blew my mind. This game looks promising. Although I have to say that I wonder about the flight physics of this game I am so so so tired of bland, easy, no skill, arcade style flight in games. They say "...with realistic physics and realistic volumetricity...". How will this translate into flight mechanics? Will flying a big ship feel like just that, like you are controlling a 100ton behemoth and that you have to be careful how much trust you give your engines, how you will turn, when you will turn? From what I have seen from the video I kind of liked how the small fighter crashed and how hard it seemed fly it because it was damaged. I am excited about this game and I will definitely track it. I know this is still very early but still good luck.

2. Darsha Trainee Engineer

Well from the looks of it there are thrusters all around the ship. So theoretically where you place them should have an effect on how you turn. We will see.

3. TheBird956 Trainee Engineer

I think you might not want to go ove the speed limit

4. Darsha Trainee Engineer

Hmm, that brings up a good point. Will this game be like Star Citizen/Starmade and put a cap speed on ships?

5. TheBird956 Trainee Engineer

Well, even in reality, there is a speed limit, even when there is no friction with air or anything else (so in space).

In reality, your speed would be limited by the maximum speed your engine can push particles. Infinite acceleration is impossible

6. Teod Trainee Engineer

NO! Physics don't work like that! If you push something, it pushes you in the opposite direction - that's the law. No exceptions.
    IRL only light speed is the limit unachievable by regular propulsion.

I hope that instead of putting artificial speed limits this will be regulated by gameplay: Your acceleration and manoeuvrability are limited by your ship's weight and number and position of engines. Number of engines is limited by your energy core (and maybe fuel?), which is heavy and requires resources to function, so you probably don't want to spam them. You can make ship accelerate faster by placing more engines on the back and less on the sides, but that sacrifices manoeuvrability, and moving very fast with little control in a dense asteroid field is generally not a good idea.

7. Matias Gray Trainee Engineer

Speed limit is not so a bad thing.
    How would trusters work? In trailer it looks like starmade.
    I want to believe in "Everything in the game is subject to change" words and will wait to some kind of corneroids physics.

8. DBRLZ Trainee Engineer

From what I have seen from the videos and the pics, ships appear to have thrusters on all sides. Ships also seem to behave differently when taking damage to those thrusters. These could make for interesting gameplay and flight. Now I do realize that compromises have to be made between gameplay and realism do to balancing issues, fun factor, hell even hardware.. It would seem like fun to crash a carrier full of fighters and fuel into an enemy base at the speed of light but how will that look, could your pc handle it? Like everyone says we will have to wait and see. I really like how this is looking. I hope new videos come soon. For the moment we will have to dream some more.

9. Lycinus Trainee Engineer

If its going to work that way, better not forgetting thrusters "front" oriented to stop the ship :crazy:...

10. 3trip Apprentice Engineer

I hope it's at least dificult to reach to speed limit.

11. Schoelm Trainee Engineer

I hope there is no speed limit in the game.

Speed limit should depend on physics :)

12. kuro11 Apprentice Engineer

Right now I think it is safe to assume a speed limit.
    See: http://www.spaceengineersgame.com/about1.html
    How fast? No idea.

13. mrsinister Trainee Engineer

to be honest what I got out of the vid was newtonian, since it drifted into the hanger, since the pilot didn't apply reverse at all. and its using thrusters on all sides...so you should be able to go forward and spin around and face backward while moving forward.....at least that's what it seems. or even how KSP is doing it. either way...it should be quite a ride! :)

14. Urablahblah Apprentice Engineer

Hmm... Immovable asteroids, that is a bit of a bummer. I was hoping to move them around and collect them. Looks like that's not how it is going to work. That really means the focus is more on ships, which means there is even more pressure on flight physics to be challenging and robust.

15. 3trip Apprentice Engineer

Imovable asteroids isn't so bad considering the mass of some of those things.

16. kuro11 Apprentice Engineer

Plus it will probably cut down immensely on lag not to have all of them moving about.

17. Teod Trainee Engineer

I'm afraid that the keyword here is "some".
    I'm ok with the large asteroids being immoveable. If I build a base I would like it to stay where it is, and if they are locked to common grid, then I can use more than one asteroid in one construction - that's a plus.
    But even in the trailer you can see fairly small rocks, the size of a fighter. And you want to tell me that I can't ram them with the ship ten times bigger?

18. Lycinus Trainee Engineer

That indeed seems weird. While driving a big ship you could not avoid all the tiny roids, I doubt that they would crush the ship, or that would be a problem.

19. Urablahblah Apprentice Engineer

That would indeed be a problem. But immoveable asteroids suggests that all of them would be like that. Surely the devs would figure out a way for larger ships to navigate small asteroid-rich zones, either by making them destructible or somehow physics enabled. Imagine if the super star destroyer from Empire Strikes Back wasn't able to zap all those asteroids away. That would just be ridiculous.

20. DBRLZ Trainee Engineer

Well in the alpha video when the red ship crashes into the blue one it also crashes with a fairly large asteroid, and the asteroid doesn't move. I don't have any evidence on how smaller asteroids would react. With the speed limit well it's a tough one. Sandbox/creative games are at their best when giving the players freedom leaving only the players imagination Set the limit. It is nearly impossible for a game to do that. You have to take in consideration a delicate balance where realism = fun = gameplay mechanics/balancing. Games have to give and take. Imagine there is no speed limit and you achieve 50% the speed of light. How much time did it take you to reach that speed with x thruster?. How long would it take you to stop? what would happen if you plotted a course through an asteroid field? how do you avoid players at slower speeds? It's so hard to balance that the easiest way to deal with it is by just setting a speed limit. I guess we just need the developers to give us that steam early access to clear all doubts lol.

21. Reikar Trainee Engineer

true, but it also means i cant strap a couple hundred engines to one and launch it into my friend :p

22. Urablahblah Apprentice Engineer

We need to remember the stated inspiration of this game, "Think about modern-day NASA technology extrapolated 60 years into the future." Even if you made a small ship with huge thrusters, it would take you a very, very long time to reach even 10% of the speed of light, and that is assuming you could carry enough fuel/reactor fuel to make a burn that long. I doubt the scale of this game is going to encompass enough space to even break a few 100 m/s. I can barely imagine the game having much larger play area than a few cubic kilometers.

Oh come on... this isn't Planetary Annihilation (http://www.uberent.com/pa/). Though, it would be cool!

23. REDRUM Trainee Engineer

Pretty much if your flying a larger frigate or capital ship you shouldn't be navigating into asteroid fields, its common sense really :)

24. Sandburg Trainee Engineer

At the outlet of a Propjet nozzle, around 6000 m/s = 21600 km/h = 14400 miles/h
    I don't think the actual limit ingame is that order…
    And if you use planetary catapulting, you can go much faster, the engines are not the limit.
    Actual Voyager 1 speed, 17 km/s = 61200 km/h = 40000 miles/h
    Your demonstration is wrong, there are speed limits on earth, with the air, but the limits in space are much much higher… say light speed ?

So no, speed limitation is not a good approch for realism, definitly.

25. anybodysguess Apprentice Engineer

Keep the acceleration low enough so it doesn't kill the people inside from the g forces. Then remove the speed limit. People can go as fast as they want. Just going to take a long time to accelerate and decelerate.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.