Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

FOOD

Discussion in 'General' started by Monkworks, Feb 15, 2017.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Monkworks Trainee Engineer

It doesn't take long for the health bar to start to flash warning that you're going to take damage from not eating food.

Assumption:
    1. Humans die in 7 days without food.
    2. Humans die in 3 days without water.

Recommendation:
    I want to recommend that this damage from not eating food be move the stamina bar. It makes no logical sense why the damage would be taken on your health bar..literally within hours. Its not realistic and downright irritating.
    why the hell do i die if not eating food in a few hours??

To make a realistic effect from not eating food your stamina bar should be depleted. If you don't eat you can't run or jump and your movement is cut to a quarter. This is logical.

thoughts?

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Ghostickles Senior Engineer

Have to agree. Stamina drain is more logical side effect of hunger than immediate death. The death thing is played out, stamina side effects would be just as problematic and less of an overwhelming irritant.
    Not that hunger is a huge challenge, easily overcome, but OP has a valid point.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Sir_Moodz Apprentice Engineer

We need this, also a much bigger penalty than just dying

4. waterlimon Senior Engineer

I agree, death from starvation seems like an unnecessary mechanic. Food as a soft constraint would work much better.

Perhaps once they add seasons, being without food AND cold, could lead to death. But if you can stay warm then inability to do much physical work is punishment enough (as long as it doesnt prevent one from acquiring food).

Of course they can make starvation kill in the long term, but thats extra complexity and doesnt really seem all that necessary for gameplay purposes (depends how extremist theyre about realism on this one).

• Like Like x 2
  5. Ghostickles Senior Engineer

Stamina penalty could be worse than death; without stamina you cannot run, jump, harvest or defend yourself in a fight. With the current health damage you still operate at full capacity, just with a flashy red egg timer. Not hard.
    If you are starving and completely run out of stamina maybe then would be a good time to add a few ticks of health damage for additional punishment. Starving Players would have to slow down activity to keep from becoming 'fatally ill'.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2017
  6. Monkworks Trainee Engineer

worst yet is the compulsion to push F5 whenever your food level is low...no point even for food

7. Sir Herbwart Trainee Engineer

btw, foodlevel is running down too fast. I have to eat every 5 Minutes ... it consumes too much time careing about getting food and consuming food .. food, food, foo

8. REDSHEILD Junior Engineer

Carry a stack of bread with you. It's by far the best food source.

9. ibisgrunk Apprentice Engineer

i miss seeing you log in and log out of frankys server...

10. Harrekin Master Engineer

I recently started a new survival world and I must agree, the food bar shoots down like crazy...

So I just don't eat unless I'm going far from home, death isn't really a penalty (more an inconvenience).

I'm not complaining because it is very fun compared to a year ago and the ME team seems to have excellent leadership and vision so I'm sure they'll get around to sorting it eventually :)

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  11. FlakMagnet Senior Engineer

I'm pretty new to ME ... and I have to agree. Especially early game where you have not got farming going and have only what you can scavenge, food is something you really notice. The bar goes down very fast. Really...you need 2 timers for lack of food. Initial loss of stamina makes a lot of sense. Your body reacts to a lack of fuel by shutting down what it can....so lethargy is a natural response. The second timer should be a lot longer, and should reduce health. Just a LOT slower. That would discourage people from ignoring the low stamina.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Harrekin Master Engineer

Berries especially, by the time you've eaten one the bar has lost 1/3 of what you've gained.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.