Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Forse field (on Ship and satelit)

Discussion in 'Suggestions and Feedback' started by Zorron, Mar 7, 2015.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Maegil Senior Engineer

Of course they will. Explosives detonate far too quickly for them to have time to extract oxygen from the air, so they already include oxydizers. As a simple example, liquid diesel will normally just burn, but if you mix it with ammonium nitrate you get the stuff used on the Oklahoma bombing.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2015
  2. MaXimo Trainee Engineer

I might have a good idea to how to implement this without making it OP... you went for crazy complex I will go for crazy simple: why don't you just make a strong magnetic field, a single block like spherical gravity generator that project a strong magnetic field able to deviate the trajectory of the incoming projectile or missile, it will work like so:

1) The power consumption will increase exponentially with the increase of the radius (limited to 100m).

2) The field will only bend the projectile/missile trajectory by X° (this could be also linked to the field radius, the bigger the field is the less will bend incoming bullets), meaning that, depending on the angle of collision (and the shape of your ship), with the field on the bullet might still hit.

3) For balancing and make it worth using I have 2 ideas:
    - even though it should happen the opposite you could make the field deviate missiles type weapons a little more than plain bullets.
    - or the field could disable the missile explosive trigger, EMP style, and make it hit just like an oversized bullet that will deal limited damages.

4) limitations:
    - no small ship magnetic field (obviously I will add, but you never know)
    - I will say no more than one per ship but I dunno if it's a possible limitation in SE so, alternatively, magnetic shield block will not work if it's field is touching an other magnetic block field poorly made examples (yes I used paint and I'm not ashamed of it):

this will work notice how even putting the fields almost touching you will be forced to leave part of your ship unprotected
    [​IMG]
    and this will cause the magnetic field blocks to turn off because their fields are touching
    [​IMG]

Edit: in conclusion this will be a lot more useful on relatively small large ships especially designed for combat not much use for it on massive bases or capital ships, except for protecting specific areas (like med room, reactors, main deck)

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 14, 2015
  3. Maegil Senior Engineer

My true position is very simple: no shields, use armour; since I can't personally abolish it, add grav shielding... Whatever more just stinks of [add your favourite sci-fi series here].

EDIT: "Le" poorly made ship?! Uas dat a djab at mi? ;)

4. MaXimo Trainee Engineer

Aww come on this suggestion is not even worthy to be called energy shielding... is even more restricted than a gravity shield (actually if the gravity field was able to affect bullets it would be a much more efficient shielding than the one in my suggestion) also even while having the resources you can't make like 3 layers of heavy armor the ship would be impossible to manouver that's why energy shielding is introduced most of the time you have extra protection only when needed that doesn't make your ship a slow ass brick of steel floating in space.

also about your edit "Le" was a meme reference and google translate doesn't know what "Uas dat a djab at mi?" means what language is it anyways?

5. Maegil Senior Engineer

That is more or less how you'd write "was that a jab at me" (related to another thread where I commited a faux pas (oh look, French again!)) in Portuguese; there's a large spelling fluctuation between North and South European languages, especially in vowels.

As for the meme: maybe, if I had a link, I could smile with you?

6. MaXimo Trainee Engineer

[​IMG]
    and no I'm not french... I actually don't like french very much

7. Maegil Senior Engineer

Sorry, that pic is a broken link...

8. SenorZorros Master Engineer

the problem with trying to change the course of a very heavy and especially a very fast object is that you need a tremendous amount of force which means using a tremendous amount of power. power better used by shooting stuff at your enemy before they can shoot back.

9. Zorron Trainee Engineer

must take into account that the force fields, bilateral, and if the ship is completely covered by a force field is to return fire, he can not. as well as to the time limit operation of the force field (for example, the energy or time (generator overheating))
    that this protection is quite balanced, with great firepower. If you use the force field as shielding (not the entire ship, and sites (eg motor, the reactor zone, the cab) is here at a fairly high level of balance.

10. Conradian Moderator

Still think you should use armour.
    I mean Marek said we might get force fields and other soft sci-fi as later DLC post-launch, so why not save the discussion for then and focus all of this creative thinking on more practical engineering stuffs we could have now?

11. Zorron Trainee Engineer

At the moment most current updates and are cosmetic in character.
    I believe that for the normal functioning of the game needed a few things.
    1. announced completion of the planets and oxygen
    2. The introduction of storylines and active AI

everything else in my opinion cosmetics but that's just my opinion

12. Conradian Moderator

I wouldn't say so, perhaps solely because they're giving us smaller things whilst the big updates (Planets and Oxygen) are being worked on, but they're the realistic typical updates, rather than the soft sci-fi kinda stuff (Which don't get me wrong I'd love to see, just not in the base game).

13. Zorron Trainee Engineer

I want to add
    in many themes offer all new and new weapons, I think that adequate protection is needed even so, in fact, now all the battles disposable, after a great battle all the ships are very badly damaged or destroyed

14. Zorron Trainee Engineer

I think that with the introduction of oxygen, increases the relevance of force fields

15. Gentry Senior Engineer

no it doesn't you rambling muppet

16. Morbophobie Apprentice Engineer

I don't know how scientific accurate all this shield stuff is. But wouldn't it be more feasible that you just shoot every projectile out of the air? Like missile defense shields try to do?
    So basically shoot missiles down with large projectiles and large projectiles down with smaller projectiles. And if you get to really really small projectiles use laser. Everything with plasma fields and so on seems so energy consuming and inefficient that it sounds like it would hurt your ship more than it would benefit it.

17. Orange_Slime_ Junior Engineer

The whole reason that force fields are being talked about are simple, the ships that are strong enough to battle the super death boxes are too heavy with armour to fight effectively. The whole point of the force field is about trading energy for maneuverability, It's about trading energy for staying power. You can pick to be cheap on energy and be weighed down by mountains of armour, or you can pick to focus on power generating and energy shielding. With properly balanced numbers, shields allowing slower objects thru, and shields melding together, This can be an alternative, a realistic gameplay-enhancing alternative, to massive death cruisers with 5-10 block thick heavy armour hulls that really take from the gameplay. It can also add a whole new take on energy managing, choosing between thruster power and shields, or between shield facings, Adding a complexity that the game could use. This could also be an opening to custom tools, backpack sized drones, or explosives like in my sig.

18. Zorron Trainee Engineer

I think now is the time to enter the fields of force, for example there is an atmosphere in the ship gets ateroid (and permanent repair exhausting) to build ships with 5 layers after a hard armor cool (but not really) they are not agile and wins one more layers, and there will be ability to balance energy costs and reservation (force fields do not exclude a multilayer armor)
    my opinion is to diversify the game and make a little more active survival mode at the moment all comes down to survival of the landfill in the asteroid.

19. Orange_Slime_ Junior Engineer

Agreed,
    Survival today is this; crash into an asteroid, make a box, make medbay, win.
    That's boring as shite for me, so I load up on difficulty mods like blackness.

20. EternityTide Senior Engineer

I think the best way to implement a shield would be to limit the amount of kinetic energy it can negate. If, say, the shield was deployed and then hit by a large projectile of significant mass (maybe 1000 Kg or so) The force field generator overloads and shuts down for a 3 minute cooldown (I'm just making up numbers here).
    Additionally, if a ship is hit by an excessively large mass, the effect should be mirrored in the ship's trajectory. Say it is travelling straight, and gets hit on its front right hand side of its shields by an object a quarter of its mass. The ships shields may hold, but the ship should be diverted off its path as if the mass had hit the ship itself.
    And finally I think the shields should only be able to be deployed for 5 minute intervals at a time, with a cooldown period, otherwise they overheat and burn themsleves out. As people have previously mentioned, the shields should also consume huge amounts of energy when active.

21. SenorZorros Master Engineer

but then why would this be more useful than a layer of armour?

22. EternityTide Senior Engineer

Because armour degrades. And if someone is hitting you with Gravity warheads, any shrapnel from those things will rip your ship in two when you try to move. Not to mention, Armour makes you heavy, slow to accelerate, hard to turn and takes huge quantities of power to get going at a decent speed. The really big dreadnoughts can slow entire servers to a crawl as well.
    It's also an economy thing. Easily deployed short term shielding that gives you enough time to get the hell out of dodge without being turned into kitty litter for less expense and resource than a heavily armoured warship.
    You might chew up half an asteroid finding enough metal to build a battle cruiser heavily armoured enough to shrug off heavy bombardment, whereas a cheaply constructed, fast smaller ship can do the same job for a fraction of the cost.
    Additionally, power is infinite, metal is not. Keep a game going long enough, you'll start breaking out the tin openers and peeling the interiors off your space stations to keep your warships in good lick.
    Power ,however, in the form of battery stored solar energy, is infinite.
    And provided you are nimble enough to avoid the worst of a bombardment, you won't get blown to hell by gravity rail guns pumping half a dozen rounds into your hull before you can say "Keen Software House". If you were in a heavily armoured cruiser, before you could do significant damage to them, you'd be scrap metal floating on the solar wind.

23. SenorZorros Master Engineer

this does not negate the fact that a shield that can't withstand prolonged combat nor A decent barrage is pretty useless.

on top of that at the moment gravity guns are practically useless.

24. Guardian1985 Trainee Engineer

I like the idea of forcefields, but i dont know for oxygen.

However isn't this already in the game.. its your helmet hehe.

anyways as far as physics goes, the oxygen would have a mass, and you could possibly create another version of spherical gravity generator, to target only its atomic composition.

25. Orange_Slime_ Junior Engineer

But you could calculate the interior volume of the force field and use that, similar to the way you could pressurise asteroids!

26. Orange_Slime_ Junior Engineer

I think that instead of an auto shutdown, you should have to manage shield heat by turning it off or turning off facets of it. Also, I think there should be bumper versions that let small objects thru but block large station blocks but do no hit damage, I see this being used for carrier landing bays and large ship dockings.

27. EternityTide Senior Engineer

I wrote a suggestion recently regarding gas membranes: http://forums.keenswh.com/post/oxygen-membrane-7344072?pid=1286632833#post1286632833

Perhaps cooling systems should be integrated to allow for extended shield performance, and increased resilience to high energy bombradments.
    As for gravity railguns, I don't know what design you use, SenorZorros, but the ones I have built work fine, and are capable of completely shredding the Default Red ship in two shots.

28. Zorron Trainee Engineer

I do not accidentally proposed force field consisting of several elements
    1. Generator (has the ability to support multiple emitters)
    during installation, you can use visualization like gravity generator on \ off the lines of force which will be used emitter
    for example 10 emitters on one generator (more it can not connect to limit AC)

2. emitters (can be Completed for example cameras (ploskiyblok)) force field is created at the distance of 2 blocks from the emitter

the density of the force field, you can adjust the density setting budeg emitters such as satellites placed 4 (and the force field generator can safely absorb all damage from asteroids attack weapon but it is not enough AC., and a warship 10 emitter concentrated on the bow of the ship and have a maximum density but due to the fact that all 10 are connected emitters while the force field generator is limited or it overheats or consume domestic energy charge faster than it can take energy from the outside (with reactors) limit the input AC power generator field.

29. Orange_Slime_ Junior Engineer

I think that the emitters should have to be on the outside of the hull. Also, I think instead of having an emitter cover a square or circle, they should all meld together into either a bubble or a form fitting cover around the ship with a screen cover of hangars

30. ObjectZero Apprentice Engineer

Boeing has a patent on a energy shield system already. But it only stops shock waves, and it's a one shot deal per charge.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.