Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Fossil Fuels from Hydrogen Thrusters change planet composition,

Discussion in 'Suggestions and Feedback' started by TsNoD, Oct 5, 2017.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. TsNoD Trainee Engineer

Hi all,

This is my first submission and I hope it isn't too far-fetched or uninteresting, please comment with your thoughts!
    IDEA: Would it be possible to slowly Terraform worlds by the use of too much hydrogen fuel in the atmosphere (Earth-like planets become arid slowly and eventually Mars-like), and Mars planet being able to terraform into earth-like planets with an opposite mechanic? Like I said, pretty broad and far-fetched but I think it would be a cool feature that would bring a fun change to multiplayer and single player games.

2. REDSHEILD Junior Engineer

Hydrogen combustion results only in water. There's no carbon involved to build up into a greenhouse effect.

3. TsNoD Trainee Engineer

Damn it this is why I fail at science =(

4. Forcedminer Senior Engineer

I'd love if fossil fuels like coal were a thing so we could destroy a planet by ruining its atmosphere with excessive coal burning. >:3
    but that might be a bit far fetched

5. ViroMan Senior Engineer

Well.... the great thing about water is its incredible usability in space exploration:
    • Water to keep you alive and for gods sake clean yourself!
    • Water to keep your food crops alive(also makes oxygen)
    • Split water and get 2 oxygen molecules to breathe
    • Split water and get 1 hydrogen molecule to send to the ion thrusters

• Like Like x 1
  6. Bumber Senior Engineer

That's a bit backwards. It's 2 water molecules per each O2.

7. ViroMan Senior Engineer

ohh.. at first I was like, wth is this bloke talking about? Then it hit me... you need two oxygen molecules to combine if you want to breathe it.

8. GrindyGears Senior Engineer

Except the part where the air we breathe in is like 78 percent nitrogen, and only like 21% oxygen with the remaining few percent being a bunch of low concentration gases. iirc pure oxygen is actually toxic beyond a certain length of time.

9. ViroMan Senior Engineer

but it is safe enough to breathe for a minute or so.

10. Sinbad Senior Engineer

dredging up some old submersible science...
    iirc, oxygen toxicity is down to the partial pressure. so in 1 atmosphere pressure of normal air there is ~20% oxygen. if you increase the pressure, you decrease the oxygen. so at 5 atmospheres of pressure you only need ~4% oxygen as the air pressure drives it into your blood easier. (I think there is an uppei pressure limit for dumping co2 from the blood though).
    at the same time, 100% oxygen at 0.2 atmospheres pressure is fine. eva suits in nasa use low pressure suits and a different gas mixture. they need to pre-breath in a hypobaric chamber before eva to drive the nitrogen out of their blood.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.