Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Foundation block

Discussion in 'Suggestions and Feedback' started by EternityTide, Nov 17, 2015.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. EternityTide Senior Engineer

Since the planetary surface does not always line up 100% with the world grid, and landing gears are not designed to be permanent fasteners, I've come to the conclusion that a new type of block is required to allow players to build structures flush with the planetary surface.
    It follows a similar vein to landing gears, with the block being placed and landing on the planet/moons surface.
    Once this has been accomplished, the player then goes into the menu for the block and clicks the "lock" button.
    This action permanently fuses the face in contact with the voxel to that voxel. Unless this block is destroyed, the block will never separate from its host voxel.
    Foundation blocks can also be built deeper into voxel material than other blocks can. For example, I think if a block's volume is taken up by more than 40-50% voxel, you cannot place a block there. With the foundation block, you can immerse up to 90% of the block in the voxel material (leaving a flat, buildable layer just peeking out of the ground).

2. SenorZorros Master Engineer

what does this give us that can't be accomplished with a station and two merge blocks?
    also, I'm pretty sure that*, at least on planets, blocks can be almost 100% inside a voxel.

*read: I have experienced this myself

3. EternityTide Senior Engineer

Not in my experience. Building on voxels is not always so cut and dried.
    Station blocks are affected by gravity - they fall. On a planets surface they can often be at a 45 degree (π/2 for you, Senor) to the surface of the planet. I've tried building station blocks on moons, they behave very similarly to large ship blocks, to the point where I'm questioning the difference between the "build large ship" and "build station" functions, besides the starter block.
    I want to be able to build flush with the planets surface, not have to mess around with some jiggery-pokery with merge blocks and rotors just to build a damned habitat.

4. Burillo Junior Engineer

you're pretty much right - the only difference between a station and a ship is it has blocks that are attached to an asteroid. otherwise they're the same. you can turn it off, however - there's a station voxels option i believe.

5. Mr Ixolate Apprentice Engineer

Press b and the station block will align immediately to the gravity.

6. SenorZorros Master Engineer

when I started a survival world on planets I crashed the lander on the surface, decided the landing was good enough (I was ten attempts in), grinded the ship down. placed a station block with ctrl-b and have had no problems afterwards...

7. EternityTide Senior Engineer

still not fixed to the planets surface. Hence the "foundation" part of the idea. Station blocks are longer anchored to the Universe grid. They move. Unbalanced weight or a rotor throws a hissy fit, your hydrogen processing facility is now orbiting in the upper stratosphere.

8. Legas Trainee Engineer

I don't get what is the issue.

Using 'B' you can freely build the station on whatever angle you want using the usual rotational keys.
    Plus station blocks can be built like 90% inside the voxels, effectively locking the station grid.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.