Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

FPS capped at 60 ? mp player cap 4/4?

Discussion in 'General' started by noxturno, Jan 18, 2014.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. noxturno Trainee Engineer

hey guys quick question how can I remove the FPS cap ?, I would like to get as much frames as I can :woot:.
    Also how can I enable more than 4 people to join the server? on the details under the update says 16 player cap I only see 4/4 servers none 16/16 any ideas?

2. Valdemar |FIN| Junior Engineer

You really don't want 16 player unless you want tons and tons of lag and bugs. 4 players is quite optimal number for now.

3. busboy Trainee Engineer

Unfortunately, I don't know how to increase the FPS cap. However, why would you want to do so? If memory serves, the human eye stops seeing individual frames at 24 FPS. Anything more than that is just gravy.

4. Glide Trainee Engineer

better off enabling vsync

5. DarkGhost Junior Engineer

Disabling VSYNC *
    Enabling it will cap the FPS to the refresh rate of the screen (which is often 60 or 75 hz, except if you got a super fancy uber-priced screen).

And as said on a post above, any FPS above 30 or so is abit "useless" as you won't see any difference at all.

6. Azan Trainee Engineer

Completely untrue, the eye is capable of detecting fine details of movement well above 30 fps. The difference between 30 and 60 is completely visible.

Have a look on this site to judge for yourself:

http://boallen.com/fps-compare.html

7. Replic TuaniOne Apprentice Engineer

You do see difference between 24 Frames p/s and 60 Frames p/s

Couldn't find one with in game but it's something like this:

BUT!

You indeed need a very good monitor for seeing above that, When going above 60fps

But back ontopic, It's not a good plan to get more players on the server, it's already lagging, not because of a crap computer, but just quick coding, some bugs and what not, So for now it's best that it's 4/4

8. DarkGhost Junior Engineer

Except in slow motion, I don't see ANY difference ...

9. PlaZmaButter Apprentice Engineer

I think youtube is capped at 24...

10. ArcherV Apprentice Engineer

You can even see the difference between 60 and 120 fps ;) (if you have an 120 or 144hz monitor)

http://frames-per-second.appspot.com

11. noxturno Trainee Engineer

lol no one answered my question, anyways I guess the game is capped at 60 for some weird reason even tho I disable v-sync , thats too bad :( and for the multiplayer on the patch notes it says 16 player cap yet only 4 people cap is available .

12. freshmango55 Apprentice Engineer

Nearly every game I play, I play at around 60 FPS and I can sure as hell tell the difference between 30 and 60.

13. AedanXaelan Apprentice Engineer

Correct that your eyes cannot see individual frames above 30. However, higher than that will still appear to be smoother, as your brain just begins to blur the frames together. Higher frame rate means your brain has to make less up to fill in the gaps.

14. whistler118 Apprentice Engineer

You get 60fps! What god like rig do you run? Im pulling a strong 30 and as soon as I build over about 1k worth of blocks that halfs.

15. noxturno Trainee Engineer

http://www.twitch.tv/noxturno11 scroll down you can see my rig setup.

16. Unknown Squid Apprentice Engineer

From what I understand, the only time that having more than 60 frames per second in gaming might make a difference, is when playing competitive multiplayer games that rely very highly on split second reactions (twitch shooters being the classic example). The reason being, that even if your monitor simply can't display the difference, it can (supposedly) have an effect on how quickly control inputs are processed. When I first heard about it I was sceptical and initially argued that FPS was purely related to display rate and wouldn't effect input, but a lot of people and some googling did suggest otherwise. Still, even at a whole 120fps compared to 60, you're looking at a 0.83 millisecond difference between the two. Frankly, it seems like pure egotism to me, for anyone to actually claim that kind of minute difference can be a remotely relevant factor in their performance. But a lot of people in certain scenes still seem to have pretty strong opinions about it. Probably a case of cult elitism and typical "bigger number means better" syndrome. Anyone that can't notice an improvement in their play at 240fps is clearly a n00b. That kinda thing.

For Space Engineers, there is really is just no reason whatsoever to need more than 60fps. The only thing that will accomplish is marginally shortening the lifespan of the CPU.

17. erdrik Apprentice Engineer

I don't think its ego so much as noticing a difference in player performance, but not knowing exactly why it makes a difference.
    One factor as previously posted:
    (though I think its more accurate to say an individual cannot consciously register frames above 30)

The less the player's brain has to focus on the missing frames, the more the player can focus on other things like killing targets or whatever.
    I don't know what kind of difference it makes, or if there has even been any studies, but it just sounds like a good idea to lessen the strain on both CPUs involved.
    (CPU1: your computer, CPU2: your brain)

18. bwc153 Trainee Engineer

What Unknown Squid said - also for many games (ARMA, Warframe, I've heard CoD and BF are similar? to name a few) your shots per second for weapons is also dependent on your framerate (with either 30 or 60 your firespeed capping out at what it's supposed to be, IIRC) - but it really doesn't matter for most games. I'm not sure if it DOES matter for the fire rate part for Space Engineers, someone might have to test that.
    @erdrik Unless you have a dual core (or single core O_o in which case you don't even have a CPU1!) CPU, both CPU 1 and 2 are in your PC. ;) (I'm just being a smartass)

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.