Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

From concept to creation 3: September - Freight systems

Discussion in 'Community Creations' started by AutoMcD, Aug 1, 2015.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. picklerok Junior Engineer

So should we build our own carts or not?

2. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

Only four large containers? That's not much of a train. I'm already pulling 16 (4 cars) fully loaded with plates with my first iteration and dropping off cars at multiple stations. The next solution is picking up inventory automatically and dropping off empty cars to be refilled (at multiple stations). Then some more modules to make lengthening out the train to some really nice lengths. The cross section of my cars are 3x7 and the engines are a just a bit wider. The goal is to keep the cross section narrow so that the total volume of the bounding box stays at a near minimum and the weight is kept as low as possible. Oh... I put in plenty of jump drives for groups of stations that are some distant apart. Then turn on the autopilot and let the train do its thing. No sense in driving such a high value target through enemy territory. Plus the jump drives allow you to get the hell out of dodge if train-robbers attack.

I'll submit just one blueprint but will probably include a link to a demonstration world so it can be properly evaluated.

I'm here to win. :)

3. AutoMcD Senior Engineer

Per car! :)
    Train could have 100 of them. This weight to break them up at, it's a subjective thing and has more to do with just keeping the individual cars manageable. I should hav a lot of time to get these details ironed out and make examples since I'll be stuck in a hotel all week. But you guys should have plenty to go on here.

4. Dante McFox Junior Engineer

Decided to give it a try, a little WIP teaser:
    Merge-Connector-Coupler:
    [​IMG]
    "Its a looong road, when your all alone..." *sing*
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  5. picklerok Junior Engineer

@AutoMcD, I don't think you saw my question. ^^^

6. Dante McFox Junior Engineer

"Contest will be for building the engines. Adding a variety of freight cars will be nice but is optional."

7. P. Kerman Apprentice Engineer

Then may I present my entirely optional and hopefully nice selection of Cars (Now all to specs):

The Container Car: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=495147357
    6 Large Cargo Containers, Collectors on top for loading, Connector on the bottom for unloading

The Refining Car: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=497715607
    A Car for well refining, complete with 8 Refineries with 4 Effectiveness modules each.

The Assembler Car: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=497716293
    3 Large Cargo Containers and 12 Assemblers fully upgraded should allow you to get some work done.

The Shipwright Car: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=495149172
    2 Medical rooms, 2 Cryo Chambers, 8 Small Cargo Containers and a simple 3D printer to get back to whatever just went wrong.

The Small Craft Car: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=495148612
    4 Automated Docking Bays to store the ships you just printed 2 Small Cargo Containers to carry some supplies. Comes with some ships of mine.

Feel free to go crazy testing your engines with these provide you drop me a line or two of feedback.;)

@Dante McFox: Your train looks very cool so far. Inspired by a modern high speed train?

Edit: fixed a small assident. ;) Thanks @picklerok

Last edited: Aug 11, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Dante McFox Junior Engineer

Err, not really, started with the coupler and, well, somehow it advanced almost on itself
    Now i almost finished the Main-Engine (Medbay included, O2-rdy, 8 Jumpdrives i think), a "Coal-Waggon" (additional Thrusters, own Cockpit, 1 additional Jumpdrive), a Production-Waggon (2 Raff., 4 Ass., all upgraded), a weapon-waggon (2 MTs), a Personal-Transit-Waggon (12 Cryopods), an Oxygen Waggon (WIP) and the obligatory Cargo Waggon with 4 Large CCs... all wagons come with least 1 Battery, 1 Gyro and a least 1 Thruster per direction. Also all include Cameras, RC and LasAntennas for easy docking in every position...
    Thinking of an additional planetary Dropship with the same Coupler to be able to drop those Cargo-Waggons... After seeing through ur work some kind of printer waggon would be also nice i think... or maybe those are more of railstation-gimmicks?

9. picklerok Junior Engineer

You miiiiiiight want to consider changing the abbreviation for the assembly cart... Personally, I would go with ASM.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
  10. plaYer2k Master Engineer

Dont be afraid of dem butts!

• Like Like x 1
  11. P. Kerman Apprentice Engineer

I guess that is why you should not finish and publish late at night. Fixed.

12. AutoMcD Senior Engineer

From what I can tell in the screenshots, those should work perfectly.
    I got a cargo car to about 90% last night.

13. Carrion Senior Engineer

so in effect this is about making a modular ship???

14. Dante McFox Junior Engineer

Looks like just because we added a shitload of all kind of waggons, in fact this contest is about the engine itself, as far as i understood

15. AutoMcD Senior Engineer

When they are merged, yes technically it's one ship. And that's why it should be fairly trouble free.

16. AutoMcD Senior Engineer

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=498365508
    The sample cargo car I promised last week.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I made the row above the connector a walkway. It's not part of the standard or anything, but was previously mentioned so thought it would be fun to incorporate into the cars I make. I also shamelessly stole Karman's wheel bumper idea. ;)

• Like Like x 1
  17. picklerok Junior Engineer

Don't worry, I did too on the cargo car I made.

18. AutoMcD Senior Engineer

After some consideration I think we should drop the thruster requirement on the cars. It complicates them and dilutes the purpose of the engine. Parking them would be nice but really you only need 1 car in the whole line to have them for this to work. So that is just an option now. Making a car that's nothing more than a tray to park small ships on and a conveyor tube shooting across from one junction connector to the other, that should be ok.

And FYI you do need RC, cockpit, command chair, or flight seat present for dampeners to work.

19. noobymcnoobcake Apprentice Engineer

I agree with the idea of no thrusters on the carts - but this means you should have another merge block or two accessible from the side or top to allow you to much more easily replace freight units in the centre of the train without having to remove all the others around the outside. Otherwise actually unloading the train in anything but a rear to front order becomes a real pain.

20. iN5URG3NT Senior Engineer

How about an auxiliary engine cart every 4-5 carts? That way you can split them up easily and avoid the issue @noobymcnoobcake highlighted.

Goddammit, don't get involved! I've got enough to do as it is!!! :D

21. P. Kerman Apprentice Engineer

Well as the saying goes imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. Also I am pretty sure I will get the opportunity to flatter you sooner or later.:p

22. Dwarf-Lord Pangolin Senior Engineer

I'm feeling strangely vindicated right now. ;) Glad to know I'm not crazy. Looking forward to seeing what people come up with here.

23. AutoMcD Senior Engineer

Wow, guess you already have an entry. ;)

24. noobymcnoobcake Apprentice Engineer

Or a standard engine module that can be used through the train wherever you like and a crew compartment for the front instead. Saves designing time and makes construction easier.

25. AutoMcD Senior Engineer

26. picklerok Junior Engineer

Here's what I've been working on so far. It fits the style of the Sol Industries, but I decided that the dark gray isn't exactly a sight for sore eyes, so I will probably update all of my ships with a new color scheme (unique, good-looking color scheme suggestions anyone?)

[​IMG]

27. Sentinel-Ghost Apprentice Engineer

I've used AutoMcD's Cargo Carriage as a template, ended up modifying it to allow the cargo to be added/stacked/removed from the carriage. Now starting on the engine which is starting to look more and more train-like. Heres my progress so far. Hopefully i'll finish it in time.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  28. Kanazawai Trainee Engineer

Hmm...i think i'm in for this. :) ...pulling over 100.000.000 kg with 0.1 m/s²
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  29. AutoMcD Senior Engineer

Nice. :)
    I'm starting to realize trouble with seeing what I'm doing when docking a long line of cars. Makes me think a small utility craft to sit in while docking via RC is a good idea, plus could do a quick lap around to inspect. Something to consider!

30. iN5URG3NT Senior Engineer

Camera on every cart?

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.